Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times

Advertisements

I would guess the storms damage is already in the millions, just in New Jersey and the Hurricane winds are just starting for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually it does make the news even in the DC area.

I have a question: how is a Homeowner's claim for fire different, in your world, from a flood insurance claim?
No it doesn't, but why argue?

Not sure what the point of your question is. I think people should insure their own risks without government interference. If you live in a higher risk area you should have to pay a higher premium or fix the damage yourself. The government should stay out of it. There shouldn't be different rules for beach houses.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah but the NFIP premiums have historically been subsidized. I know they had a big review of it a while back though and were going to try to fix the program but I don't know how many changes they made and the extent.
Some of these houses are those that private insurance companies won't insure at a cost these homeowners can pay. What does that tell you?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Some of these houses are those that private insurance companies won't insure at a cost these homeowners can pay. What does that tell you?
Self insure or bust.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And it's really not a "bailout". People in the NFIP pay premiums for it just like people pay for Homeowner's health and car insurances.
This is what its come to in America, and its the source of the problem.

No one ever thinks that THEIR welfare/subsidy is actually welfare/subsidy. No...but everyone else's is.

I don't mind subsidizing American homeowners with disaster insurance. Totally cool with it. That's what we're here for as citizens of a common nation. Plus, I don't begrudge you having beachfront property. I'm actually happy about your good fortune.

But let's call it what it is. If you can't afford that insurance on the free market (and I mean "you" in the generic sense), then the taxpayer is giving you a subsidy if you're buying it from the government.

A.K.A...big government interference in the free market.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I would guess the storms damage is already in the millions, just in New Jersey and the Hurricane winds are just starting for us.

At minimum.
They are reporting that pretty much all of Atlantic City is flooded.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
We have a distinct problem, many of these communities date back hundreds of years so just cutting off these homeowners is not possible. What needs to happen with the flood insurance is one shot deal and that property is no longer eligible. Build at your own risk after that.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is what its come to in America, and its the source of the problem.

No one ever thinks that THEIR welfare/subsidy is actually welfare/subsidy. No...but everyone else's is.

I don't mind subsidizing American homeowners with disaster insurance. Totally cool with it. That's what we're here for as citizens of a common nation. Plus, I don't begrudge you having beachfront property. I'm actually happy about your good fortune.

But let's call it what it is. If you can't afford that insurance on the free market (and I mean "you" in the generic sense), then the taxpayer is giving you a subsidy if you're buying it from the government.

A.K.A...big government interference in the free market.
Actually I'm not beachfront, about 600 feet inland. Just outside the old 100 year plane so I'm not required to have NFIP. The new maps might have me in it. I see that I am while the Town Engineer says no.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
No it doesn't, but why argue?

Not sure what the point of your question is. I think people should insure their own risks without government interference. If you live in a higher risk area you should have to pay a higher premium or fix the damage yourself. The government should stay out of it. There shouldn't be different rules for beach houses.
The problem with that argument is that in certain areas insurers won't write under right policies, period. Without government guaranteed insurance home and business owners wouldn't be able to purchase insurance. Now I would grant I would be opposed to government backed insurance for people who purchase homes on a damned sand dune on an outer island just because they want to have a home along the beach, but for farmers, fishing communities, and others whose livelihood depends on being set in these locations I think that government backed insurance is the right thing to do. The problem is political. I doubt that it would it is possible to provide such insurance for one without providing it for the other (it isn't like folks with multi-million dollar homes on the ocean are without political influence).

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Hope your family is safe Gizmo. Have you heard from them? Heard AC is pretty badly flooded already.
Thank you for your concern... it's nice to know somebody cares about their fellow Americans, since I was beginning to lose hope on here! My relatives in MD, MA & NY are all fine, but haven't heard from the ones in NJ yet - just texted my mother to see if she's heard anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies