Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Before the hurricane ever hit, there were volunteers raising money, and collecting food and water.
Which is precisely the problem with ad hoc volunteer disaster relief.

Every relief agency from the government to the Red Cross begs people NOT to send food, water, clothing and other well intended items because they sap the resources of first responders and relief agencies. Donating money is a wonderful thing but as the Haiti relief amply demonstrated, where the money went, who was accountable for it, was an unmitigated disaster.

Additionally, what group of private individuals as the power or authority to coordinate the various federal state, county and municipal authorities who have the physical resource, on the ground knowledge and expertise. NONE! Does your your church ground, local charity have Blackhawk or CH-53 helicopters? Do they snap to when given directions or sit around an have bickering sessions about what they will or won't do. None.

Quote:
Look up how long it takes the the government to give money to people who receive money from FEMA.
Better yet look at who would be the first to ***** about someone getting relief money that you didn't think deserve it?

Quote:
There are many organizations that have food and water on the way.
What kind of food, who is going to sort through it, who is then going to deliver it? These are the questions that actual relief organizations have to answer because they have to divert much needed staff members and their trained volunteers to handle those tasks.

Mitt’s useless “storm relief” - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
People would survive and restore their towns and property the same way they have for centuries. They work together to rebuild. Organizations, like charities and churches, would rally around people and give them something the government can never give. Inspiration and hope. All you have to do is read about the history of this great country and realize that most of the achievements against tragedy or set backs are from people working together for the common good and not a government mandate. Big government has not "bonded" a country and they are not our mommies and daddies.

Charities and churches would be able to fix the flooded New York subways?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think I've read about anyone against "government" but go ahead and be extreme.
Who wants ZERO government ? Just a free for all in the US ? Warlords and tribes perhaps ?
Who ?
I that was what it takes to keep the American Royality royal then I can tell you this. The GOP would be 100% in favour. They are already on the way to making the USA into another Mexico. In Mexico the living is good for those same Mexican Royals. They have their Lear jets and multi million dollar mansions, their Bentleys and billion dollar trust funds. Now of course all this is built on the backs of the hard working and poor Mexicans. That is just the way the GOP likes things to be.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
People working together to help others would take longer than the red tape of government help? Before the hurricane ever hit, there were volunteers raising money, and collecting food and water. Look up how long it takes the the government to give money to people who receive money from FEMA. There are many organizations that have food and water on the way. Look up Samaritans Purse. People like to help others. We are Americans and we come through for each other. We always have. And it is not because the government told them too. You are completely underestimateing the values and morals that this country has.
The good people of Samaritan's Purse would be able to rescue 14 people from sea from the downed ship off the coast of North Carolina?

Like the COAST GUARD did today --- government employees that people like you seem to dislike so much.

We're not talking about handing out coffee and sandwiches here --- we're talking fires that wipe out 100 homes in New Jersey, --- vanquished by some of those "over-paid" unionized publicly funded firemen and women. What --- no volunteers to put out the fire?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, excuse me but who do you think does the rebuilding after any natural disaster, The Department of Homeland Construction?
NOPE! Private contractors do every time, but 99% of the time the poly tics have their hand out looking for graft in the form of permits and fees, which slows things down.

The question is Do WE want this all fixed up ASAP, or do we want to let the Govt get it down when ever they get around to it.

The fastest way is always the cheapest way. For a decades now the Govt has been taking down a local bridge over 2 decades and i think it will be 5 or more before they get that dam thing down, unless it plain old just falls down first.

When it's the govt it takes 6 guys to light one cutting torch. When it is a private affair it takes one guy to light that torch and he does a fair days work with it.

Today driving truck which i get to do I saw a police state circle jerk. 4 townies cars and 2 statey cars all hiding in a wooded boat launch, and of course on the public dole.

Now i don't know about you, but I know when I see something like that I know better than to pull in and say Hi boys what's up?

The day 12 staty's baby sat me doing my historical dog and pony show because Columbine happened that day, is inexcusable!

I had a paper contract for hire and filled out my contract. I was no threat, and the contract was legal and over a time. Why 12 state troopers needed to stay all DAY on pay is well past my ability to fathom.

I just wish looking back on that day that I told everyone sorry you will instead be hearing from my lawyer.

In part this is why I think cops should hold bake sales, maybe sell to the public their issued guns when they get issued new guns and etc.. i could use some hand cuffs to tie my wif err ahh umm err ahh ummm

Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Thousands of Mexicans are on the way.
Noooooooooooooooo! don't go there ! My buddy just sent me a e-mail with what they DO! I'ld love to pass that one on WAUGH!

Well of course the job gets done, but the details are missing. Ie: store type bathroom stalls are hung upside down! Think about that a moment LOL

Sink fawcetts don't line up with the sink.... Doors can't be opened or closed because the pot is in the way, unless of course you cut the shape of the pot.

ladies may have to 'sit' sidesaddle ROFLMAO

mere words do not do justice

Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Well Fox just had a reporter on jabbering about the storm and there behind him was a cop standing there doing nothing but guarding a tree that had fallen apparently. I'm sure he's getting overtime too. Yippee.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which is precisely the problem with ad hoc volunteer disaster relief.

Every relief agency from the government to the Red Cross begs people NOT to send food, water, clothing and other well intended items because they sap the resources of first responders and relief agencies. Donating money is a wonderful thing but as the Haiti relief amply demonstrated, where the money went, who was accountable for it, was an unmitigated disaster.

Additionally, what group of private individuals as the power or authority to coordinate the various federal state, county and municipal authorities who have the physical resource, on the ground knowledge and expertise. NONE! Does your your church ground, local charity have Blackhawk or CH-53 helicopters? Do they snap to when given directions or sit around an have bickering sessions about what they will or won't do. None.

Better yet look at who would be the first to ***** about someone getting relief money that you didn't think deserve it?

What kind of food, who is going to sort through it, who is then going to deliver it? These are the questions that actual relief organizations have to answer because they have to divert much needed staff members and their trained volunteers to handle those tasks.

Mitt’s useless “storm relief” - Salon.com
Maybe the Govt which is nothing but ins co's and lawyers in the first place, can make ins and lawyers PAY UP!

That is where maybe the Govt comes into play.

Really would you want a ins salesman or a lawyer around you with a hammer or a screw driver?

I know I would hate to see a paper pusher driving any heavy equipment, or spinning a wrench, or even pounding a nail.

The only other place the Govt should have any SAY is infrastructure, where the pay for engineers to design bridges that won't cave in the first time a old lady on a mini bike rides over it.

Not that many poly tics are structural engineers.

There is a little bit more to a road than most people can see. I know that when i was 14 years old a govt inspector took money in a fee to pass a elevator that crashed two weeks later loaded with some paper and me. That FOOL didn't know squat about elevators.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well Fox just had a reporter on jabbering about the storm and there behind him was a cop standing there doing nothing but guarding a tree that had fallen apparently. I'm sure he's getting overtime too. Yippee.
See my post 35......... The river was a bit higher than flood stage where those cops were. Maybe you are right and the cops were guarding the river. maybe they were guarding the boat ramp too, since the river might have been trying to steal that boat ramp! bad riber bad.....

Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Tea party people shouldn't even accept the help then.
They believe in little government, great, then don't take the help or money.
So, Republicans, if you experienced damage during the storm, and don't have flood
insurance through the federal governemnt, (which you don't believe in), fix it
yourself with your own money. Right?
You build it. You fix it.
Right?
Well, for those of you who watch that Fox Noise channel, owned by an Australian and an
Arab, let me tell you how Americans do it.
We help each other.
We all pay the federal government and city and state, and we also help our neighbors.
We all help each other, despite race, religion, age, we all band together in disasters.
Why? Why do Americans do this?
Because when push comes to shove, it is our culture. CULTURE.
Does anyone understand this? Do Republicans and Tea Party people get it?
One Nation, Under God, Indivisible,.... This is a culture that other countires
don't get.
That is what makes us great.
So, stop bashing the government, because we are the government.
Every American reading this post knows that they don't begrudge Federal, State
or local money going to the victims of this disaster, or any disaster.
I don't care who you vote for for President, it doesn't matter.
Just remember, the next time it could be you.
Then what? You still want to get rid of FEMA?
Romney does.
You will get the goverment you deserve if you vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies