Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

Obama said something during his second debate that offended me. He said that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill. That comment suggested that every mentally ill person is capable of violence. That isn't true.

I'm mentally ill and I'm not violent. I've never committed a crime. I haven't even gotten a jay walking ticket. My mom is also mentally ill and she's not violent either. She's one of the sweetest people alive. The majority of the mentally ill are harmless.

Yes, it's true that some mentally ill people are violent and those who show any signs of violent behavior shouldn't be allowed to own guns. But Obama didn't say that guns should be kept out of the hands of certain mentally ill people. He said that they should be kept out of the hands of all mentally ill people.

Obama obviously thinks that mentally ill people are dangerous and that's prejudice. Let me give you an example. Some women kill people with guns. Would it be fair if I said that because some women are violent that guns should be kept out of the hands of all women? Of course it wouldn't be fair. That would be prejudice. And saying that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill is just as prejudice.

Obama was trying to gain more votes with his second debate but he lost one. And if he offended other mentally ill people, he may lose more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Anybody that wants the non-violent mentally ill to own guns should vote GOP!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
If that offended you and you want to vote for Romney without looking into it first. If you think you will be better off with Romney make sure your looking at his facts not voting against Obama because of one comment.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Good, go ahead and vote for the GOP. You'll see how much worse care for the mentally ill can get.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
May I ask what your condition is?

I agree that not all people who have been diagnosed as "mentally ill" should have their 2nd Amendment rights stripped away. Same goes for felons. Not all felonies are acts of violence, nor are they all indications that someone might be prone to violence. Someone convicted of DUI with a BAC of 0.09, for instance, shouldn't be lumped in with those who commit armed robbery.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
No person is perfectly healthy physically. No person is perfectly healthy mentally. So are we talking degrees of illness? What about a person like Zimmerman? Should firearms be restricted as far as those with a certain IQ level? Should stupid people be able to have guns? Apparently all the gun crime and abuse of fire arms is done by the stupid. Smart people who are aware of the consequences of their actions simply don't cause trouble or get into trouble as far as guns are concerned...Maybe we should have it that certain Presidents not be in control of nuclear weapons?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM

876 posts, read 709,254 times
What people are not realizing is that it is now very easy to diagnose someone as "mentally ill". If there were a law that prohibited anyone that was "mentally ill" from having a fire arm to protect themselves, then that would encompass most of America. It is easier to cure a mental illness from a person than your medical record.

In one way, it sounds like common sense. Of course crazy people should not have guns! But, what is mental illness? The list grows larger and larger every year and most of us could be diagnosed with a legal form of mental illness. Think about it . Oh, you had post partum depression 10 years ago. Nope, can't have a gun. Oh, you attempted suicide 40 years ago! Nope, can't have a gun. Oh, you have Aspergers, nope you can't have a gun. This would be a slippery slope. Mental illness is very vague. It is hard to test and all a Dr. has to do is declare you "mentally ill". It is not like cancer, where we have very reliable tests. Be careful what you wish for, people. Because it just might affect you.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
What people are not realizing is that it is now very easy to diagnose someone as "mentally ill". If there were a law that prohibited anyone that was "mentally ill" from having a fire arm to protect themselves, then that would encompass most of America. It is easier to cure a mental illness from a person than your medical record.

In one way, it sounds like common sense. Of course crazy people should not have guns! But, what is mental illness? The list grows larger and larger every year and most of us could be diagnosed with a legal form of mental illness. Think about it . Oh, you had post partum depression 10 years ago. Nope, can't have a gun. Oh, you attempted suicide 40 years ago! Nope, can't have a gun. Oh, you have Aspergers, nope you can't have a gun. This would be a slippery slope. Mental illness is very vague. It is hard to test and all a Dr. has to do is declare you "mentally ill". It is not like cancer, where we have very reliable tests. Be careful what you wish for, people. Because it just might affect you.

I think it can be done. It's done right now with security clearances (both secret and top secret) for employees that require them.

You are required to disclose if you've ever been to a mental health professional or have been treated (even by a GP) for what is deemed mental health issues. If so, this does not mean that BAM you cannot get a clearance. What it means is that they may question your doctor and then look at the nature of your illness to determine if you are a security risk.

Anxiety/depression/bi-polar, etc. all have been able to receiving security clearances. Anyone deemed "continually unstable" or has a mental illness that makes his/her impulse control suspect would not be granted a clearance.

While it would be costly, I think this is what would have to happen if you were going to deny gun rights to a mentally ill person.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
The OP is a troll. First and only post. He has probably been banned numerous times.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You need to take your meds.
LMAO! That's what i was thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies