Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,517,345 times

Advertisements

Republican policies tend to treat homeowners well and renters poorly.

For example, in a number of states, Republicans have combined a property tax cut (renters unable to keep more of what they have earned) with a sales tax hike (renters guaranteed to keep less of what they have earned).

A number of blue states provide property tax relief to renters and homeowners; red states are happy to help homeowners but not help renters. Even help offered to renters in red states, though rare, is also vulnerable to repeal; Missouri eliminated its circuit breaker property tax credit for renters last year.

A number of red states tax rental property at higher rates than owner-occupied homes; when this policy expands into blue states, there are usually Republicans involved, as in Michigan where Republicans created a nonhomestead tax that makes the total school tax rate on rental property four times the rate on owner-occupied homes.

And Mario Rubio spent a lot of time and energy in Florida trying to cut property taxes for homeowners while sticking renters with a higher sales tax and fewer dollars in their pockets.

And Rubio also sponsored a bill to allow landlords to charge two months rent to any renter who breaks a lease early. While it is always appropriate to charge for actual damages. Rubio's bill allows landlords to stick it to renters even when the landlord comes out ahead (e.g. by re-renting the apt at a higher price in a rising market) and suffer no economic damages.

These Republicans are usually the same people who support exclusionary zoning (which, according to Thomas Sowell, redistributes income upward from renters to homeowners) while opposing rent control (which is effectively the flip side of zoning). So Republicans support picking winners and losers as long as the winners are homeowners and the losers are renters.

What do Republicans have against renters and why do they treat renters so badly?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,255,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Republican policies tend to treat homeowners well and renters poorly.

For example, in a number of states, Republicans have combined a property tax cut (renters unable to keep more of what they have earned) with a sales tax hike (renters guaranteed to keep less of what they have earned).

A number of blue states provide property tax relief to renters and homeowners; red states are happy to help homeowners but not help renters. Even help offered to renters in red states, though rare, is also vulnerable to repeal; Missouri eliminated its circuit breaker property tax credit for renters last year.

A number of red states tax rental property at higher rates than owner-occupied homes; when this policy expands into blue states, there are usually Republicans involved, as in Michigan where Republicans created a nonhomestead tax that makes the total school tax rate on rental property four times the rate on owner-occupied homes.

And Mario Rubio spent a lot of time and energy in Florida trying to cut property taxes for homeowners while sticking renters with a higher sales tax and fewer dollars in their pockets.

And Rubio also sponsored a bill to allow landlords to charge two months rent to any renter who breaks a lease early. While it is always appropriate to charge for actual damages. Rubio's bill allows landlords to stick it to renters even when the landlord comes out ahead (e.g. by re-renting the apt at a higher price in a rising market) and suffer no economic damages.

These Republicans are usually the same people who support exclusionary zoning (which, according to Thomas Sowell, redistributes income upward from renters to homeowners) while opposing rent control (which is effectively the flip side of zoning). So Republicans support picking winners and losers as long as the winners are homeowners and the losers are renters.

What do Republicans have against renters and why do they treat renters so badly?
My republican slumlord refuses to have anything fixed correctly, he has a full time maintenance man that cobbles together, while all the time collecting his full rental fees from me.

I should penalize him by deducting $50 a month for failure to repair and maintain.
If I call the housing department, I'll be evicted.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: language

Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,489,525 times
Buy a house.

Shouldn't you be complaining about Republicans wanting to kill little old ladies instead?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,489,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
My republican slumlord refuses to have anything fixed correctly, he has a full time maintenance man that cobbles sh*t together, while all the time collecting his full rental fees from me.

I should penalize him by deducting $50 a month for failure to repair and maintain.
If I call the housing department, I'll be evicted.

Rent somewhere else.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times
has nothing to due with republican/democrat

as an owner you are responsible for nearly everything...as a renter you are paying for the priviledge of living unders someone eslse roof

as a renter you are investing in nothing...you could rent a place for 20 years. and in the end you have nothing

an owner is investing in something, even with a mortgage, the owner after 20 years OWNS it

renters pay no property tax..the owner does..and in some areas the rent (locally set by going rates) barely covers the property taxes of the owner

Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,255,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
has nothing to due with republican/democrat

as an owner you are responsible for nearly everything...as a renter you are paying for the priviledge of living unders someone eslse roof

as a renter you are investing in nothing...you could rent a place for 20 years. and in the end you have nothing

an owner is investing in something, even with a mortgage, the owner after 20 years OWNS it

renters pay no property tax..the owner does..and in some areas the rent (locally set by going rates) barely covers the property taxes of the owner
That explains why there are so many republican slumlords, their profit margin is low!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,517,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Buy a house.

Shouldn't you be complaining about Republicans wanting to kill little old ladies instead?

But all I can afford is a 400-sf house on 2,500 sf land, and that is not allowed anywhere outside of rural areas.

Democrats tried to force lenders to finance McMansions for borrowers who couldn't afford it. My solution involved more liberty and less government - simply let the market operate and allow a willing seller and a willing buyer to make deals.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
That explains why there are so many republican slumlords, their profit margin is low!
There wouldnt be so many Republican slumlords, if there werent so many Democratic welfare recipiants. Yeah, my statement wasnt any dumber than yours

Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
and that is not allowed anywhere outside of rural areas.
And since most boards are filled with Democrats, you can thank Democrats for limiting the availability of affordable housing.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,083,805 times
Chew on this....

Valerie Jarrett Slum Queen

Valerie Jarrett Was a Slum Lord in Obama?s State Senate District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies