Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
That's what I thought.

HELP! Kenosha -Tenant - Landlord Relations - And Laws

I'm still waiting for the sewer lateral to get repaired, meanwhile, black water (poopy) is being discharged under the apartment with every flush of the toilet.
Move! Notify the landlord if it isn't fixed in x number of days you will consider it a violation of the lease, which it is in almost every state, and you will be moving on to greener pastures. The beauty of being a renter is that you can move without worrying that someone else won't move in. If you don't like what your landlord is doing just MOVE.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM

1,187 posts, read 996,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Move! Notify the landlord if it isn't fixed in x number of days you will consider it a violation of the lease, which it is in almost every state, and you will be moving on to greener pastures. The beauty of being a renter is that you can move without worrying that someone else won't move in. If you don't like what your landlord is doing just MOVE.
This depends on what state you're in and what your lease/rental agreement says. If you move before the required amount of days notification or if you break your lease you can be responsible for the rent up to the end of your agreement or when the place gets rented again. In this economy, and in certain areas, you could be responsible for the rent at that place for the full year. Here in Vegas, there aren't enough renters to rent out places fast enough. So if you break your lease here you're more than likely looking at paying for the full extent of your lease. The only way out of that is if you have WRITTEN and notarized proof of complaints... but also you should contact the housing authority or whatever other agency governs housing in your area to complain about the problems not being fixed.

I don't have any sympathy for someone who isn't willing to take care of themselves in a situation like this. People have recourses for taking care of matters like this. If you make the repairs yourself, AFTER giving written complaints to the owner/manager that the problems exist and need to be fixed, you may be able to send your rent, minus the repair bill, with a reciept for the repairs. Of course this also depends on the laws in your area, so you need to look up rental laws before you do anything. It takes work and research to figure out the appropriate action for each case.... and complaining about politics of your landlord/manager on an internet forum isn't going to help you out!

The Universe helps those who help themselves! Don't wait for someone else to come to your rescue!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,545,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
has nothing to due with republican/democrat

as an owner you are responsible for nearly everything...as a renter you are paying for the priviledge of living unders someone eslse roof

as a renter you are investing in nothing...you could rent a place for 20 years. and in the end you have nothing

an owner is investing in something, even with a mortgage, the owner after 20 years OWNS it
Back around 2005 to 2006 a lot of my friends bought into the hype--that everyone should own a home and that real estate is always a good investment.

They bought homes at the top of the market--now some of those places are worth just 50-60% of what they paid for them.

I kept renting an apartment and just invested my money in a obscure company called Apple.

I'm spending Christmas in Vienna and Prague this year--and some of my friends drop every dime they make into their now underwater mortgages and haven't taken a vacation in years.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Poor democrats living in poop filled apartments but too lazy to clean up their mess. Maybe we will see all these folks on Judge Judy soon? lol
Isn't that the truth?

When 1st married, we lived in an apartment for two years. The landlord promised to repaint.....he didn't. After a month, I did it myself and took the money out of my rent payment.

Some people are doers, some people are lazy pigs.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Back around 2005 to 2006 a lot of my friends bought into the hype--that everyone should own a home and that real estate is always a good investment.

They bought homes at the top of the market--now some of those places are worth just 50-60% of what they paid for them.

I kept renting an apartment and just invested my money in a obscure company called Apple.

I'm spending Christmas in Vienna and Prague this year--and some of my friends drop every dime they make into their now underwater mortgages and haven't taken a vacation in years.
Good for you!

BTW....wouldn't your friends still have the same mortgage payment regardless of the value of their home?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
That's what I thought.

I'm still waiting for the sewer lateral to get repaired, meanwhile, black water (poopy) is being discharged under the apartment with every flush of the toilet.
You must enjoy it.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM

50,461 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Good for you!

BTW....wouldn't your friends still have the same mortgage payment regardless of the value of their home?
The no money down, low interest loans. People say they were 'duped' into buying but in reality most thought they were going to make a huge profit later and it backfired when the market sank and their loans reset to a higher rate.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Isn't that the truth?

When 1st married, we lived in an apartment for two years. The landlord promised to repaint.....he didn't. After a month, I did it myself and took the money out of my rent payment.

Some people are doers, some people are lazy pigs.
I thought everybody knew this. I mean if you repair something in the apartment I always took it off the rent and the landlord would usually thank me for doing it. These people just sit around living in their stink and complain. I guess some never grow up and expect to be cared for their whole lives. Good thing their parents potty trained em or they'd look like this.............

http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.co...rty-Diaper.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-02-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,251,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
This depends on what state you're in and what your lease/rental agreement says. If you move before the required amount of days notification or if you break your lease you can be responsible for the rent up to the end of your agreement or when the place gets rented again. In this economy, and in certain areas, you could be responsible for the rent at that place for the full year. Here in Vegas, there aren't enough renters to rent out places fast enough. So if you break your lease here you're more than likely looking at paying for the full extent of your lease. The only way out of that is if you have WRITTEN and notarized proof of complaints... but also you should contact the housing authority or whatever other agency governs housing in your area to complain about the problems not being fixed.

I don't have any sympathy for someone who isn't willing to take care of themselves in a situation like this. People have recourses for taking care of matters like this. If you make the repairs yourself, AFTER giving written complaints to the owner/manager that the problems exist and need to be fixed, you may be able to send your rent, minus the repair bill, with a reciept for the repairs. Of course this also depends on the laws in your area, so you need to look up rental laws before you do anything. It takes work and research to figure out the appropriate action for each case.... and complaining about politics of your landlord/manager on an internet forum isn't going to help you out!

The Universe helps those who help themselves! Don't wait for someone else to come to your rescue!
Yes, lease, and in the lease stipulation, no tenant shall make any repairs or alterations to the premises.

we are actively looking around.
And I wished people would have read this^^^^ post^^^before making flaming statements about poopy diapers and living in poop, and stating it is the renter's responsibility and all the other drivels meant to inflame. And for the wise*ss who said something about a $2 dollar part and another saying something about a wax ringand changing someone else's post, read my op in the wisconsin thread. Since when is a broken or severed pipe a renter's responsibility?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM

1,187 posts, read 996,586 times
Quote:
Yes, lease, and in the lease stipulation, no tenant shall make any repairs or alterations to the premises.

we are actively looking around.
And I wished people would have read this^^^^ post^^^before making flaming statements about poopy diapers and living in poop, and stating it is the renter's responsibility and all the other drivels meant to inflame. And for the wise*ss who said something about a $2 dollar part and another saying something about a wax ringand changing someone else's post, read my op in the wisconsin thread. Since when is a broken or severed pipe a renter's responsibility?
Really, I shouldn't have done this for you because you should be able to do a simple search on google yourself.

Tenant Rights - City of Kenosha Police Department

[quote]
The landlord is responsible for making any repairs that are necessary to comply with local housing codes and to keep the premises safe. If the landlord refuses to repair major building defects, you may report the defect to your local building or health inspector. The landlord may not retaliate by evicting you.[/quote]

Open sewage under your apartment or anywhere near your apartment is a health and safety issue. If your landlord is not taking care of it, then YOU NEED TO CALL SOMEONE!! After the local building & health inspector, my next call would be to a tenent/landlord lawyer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies