Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:26 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
freemkt, You're concerned about this yet still support Obama!?

"........guaranteed to keep less of what they have earned"
Yea, repuglicans make the best slumlords!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Have you ever rented in California?

No, I understand that in California it's landlords who are more likely to be treated badly.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
In most states, if you break the signed lease early you still owe the rent until the landlord can find a replacement.

Yes that is true, but Rubio added a new twist by giving landlords two months of rent even if there was no unfilled vacancy and the landlord made even more money by re-renting (in a rising market) at a higher rent.

And in his haste to reduce property taxes for homeowners, Rubio did nothing to address the unfair extra property taxes on rental property.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Renting unless you will be in an area only temporarily is generally quite stupid and foolish. You pay more than you would to buy (remember you're paying for everything you would pay for if you own, plus a profit) and in the end you have nothing to show for it. Moreover, rent goes up with inflation, whereas a fixed interest rate payment on a home or land stays the same and over time becomes less of a burden due to inflation.

(snip)

I despise everything about renting and I think anyone who aspires to be a lifelong renter is insane.

While there are times when short-term renting is preferable to owning, and thus some renters do choose to rent, most renters are doing so involuntarily.

While I think that being a lifetime renter generally is insane, I don't have a choice, and I am angry and bitter about that.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
has nothing to due with republican/democrat

as an owner you are responsible for nearly everything...as a renter you are paying for the priviledge of living unders someone eslse roof

as a renter you are investing in nothing...you could rent a place for 20 years. and in the end you have nothing

an owner is investing in something, even with a mortgage, the owner after 20 years OWNS it

renters pay no property tax..the owner does..and in some areas the rent (locally set by going rates) barely covers the property taxes of the owner

It would cost me less for the privilege of living under my own roof - owning is cheaper than renting in 48 of the top 50 US markets. Why should I pay more for the 'privilege' or having fewer rights or options? (Just think of the endless list of things you can do under your roof that you can't do under someone else's roof.)

And if you think renters don't pay property tax...then you don't pay sales tax. Believing that is a lot like believing in the Easter bunny.

I could rent a place for 20 years and in the end have nothing - doesn't that pretty much say it all about what a sucky deal renting is? My landlord ends up with a paid-off house and I've got squat.

Talk about redistribution of wealth!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Republican policies tend to treat homeowners well and renters poorly.

For example, in a number of states, Republicans have combined a property tax cut (renters unable to keep more of what they have earned) with a sales tax hike (renters guaranteed to keep less of what they have earned).

A number of blue states provide property tax relief to renters and homeowners; red states are happy to help homeowners but not help renters. Even help offered to renters in red states, though rare, is also vulnerable to repeal; Missouri eliminated its circuit breaker property tax credit for renters last year.

A number of red states tax rental property at higher rates than owner-occupied homes; when this policy expands into blue states, there are usually Republicans involved, as in Michigan where Republicans created a nonhomestead tax that makes the total school tax rate on rental property four times the rate on owner-occupied homes.

And Mario Rubio spent a lot of time and energy in Florida trying to cut property taxes for homeowners while sticking renters with a higher sales tax and fewer dollars in their pockets.

And Rubio also sponsored a bill to allow landlords to charge two months rent to any renter who breaks a lease early. While it is always appropriate to charge for actual damages. Rubio's bill allows landlords to stick it to renters even when the landlord comes out ahead (e.g. by re-renting the apt at a higher price in a rising market) and suffer no economic damages.

These Republicans are usually the same people who support exclusionary zoning (which, according to Thomas Sowell, redistributes income upward from renters to homeowners) while opposing rent control (which is effectively the flip side of zoning). So Republicans support picking winners and losers as long as the winners are homeowners and the losers are renters.

What do Republicans have against renters and why do they treat renters so badly?
I've been a renter (in apartment complexes, not with private owners) all my adult life, in 3 different states and the District of Columbia, and I have no idea what you are talking about. What sales tax? I file no state tax return. If it's built into my rent and the landlord pays it, I have no idea of the amount. Does your landlord/property manager tell you what percent of your rent pays their property tax/sales tax? I've rented during Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama. I've lived in NY, MD, DC and TN - that's 3 blue and one red. I have no idea what portion of those rents was the owner's tax but I can tell you, my rent was raised $50 a month at every yearly lease signing in NY and MD (2 very blue states) and only $10 - $15 at every yearly lease signing in Tennessee (a red state).

Also, I just inquired about breaking my lease early and the response was 60 days notice and one month's rent (in my red state). I thought that was a pretty darn good deal for breaking a contract.

Just because I rent, doesn't make me poor. It just means I don't want to take care of repairs and a yard.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And since most boards are filled with Democrats, you can thank Democrats for limiting the availability of affordable housing.

Say what? Got some actual data to support your assertion?

Democrats tend to be happy to tax you in order to subsidize affordable housing in Someone Else's Neighborhood.

Republicans tend to be unwilling to tax you and just shrug and say that the poor are free to vote with their feet.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM

There are a lot of Democrat slumlords, I know one and I've seen several of his properties.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why Do Republicans Treat Renters So Badly?

Why do Democrats ask such ridiculously stupid questions?

Dunno, I'm not a Democrat.

I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity cynic.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
I have to wonder how, if you're so poor, you even think you can buy a piece of land and build a house on it,pay property taxes, insurance and maintanance, regardless of how small the house is?
Especially since you also insist you can't move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies