Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 PM

18,362 posts, read 26,567,629 times

Advertisements

Renting unless you will be in an area only temporarily is generally quite stupid and foolish. You pay more than you would to buy (remember you're paying for everything you would pay for if you own, plus a profit) and in the end you have nothing to show for it. Moreover, rent goes up with inflation, whereas a fixed interest rate payment on a home or land stays the same and over time becomes less of a burden due to inflation.

That said, a big problem is real estate gets driven to artificially high prices. That's a major problem in my state, where most real estate values have nothing to do with the local economy, but rather, wealthy sorts coming in and buying up places as vacation homes. You can't have an average price of a quarter million dollars in a rural area where most people are making $10 an hour. I think instead of encouraging renting, we need to find a way to discourage unreasonably high real estate prices. Real estate really shouldn't go up more than the price of inflation. Having houses sell for half a million dollars that sold for under $100K a few years prior is absurd (and these absurd real estate prices were a major reason for the economic collapse).

I've dealt with enough renting and landlords to have zero trust or respect for them. I'm all too familiar with landlords who don't do any more than they have to, to avoid prison, and landlords who try to con you out of your security deposit. Then everyone also knows all the big slumlords in an area will stick together and refuse to rent to people who held one accountable (illegal but little can be done about it). I despise everything about renting and I think anyone who aspires to be a lifelong renter is insane.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
My republican slumlord refuses to have anything fixed correctly, he has a full time maintenance man that cobbles together, while all the time collecting his full rental fees from me.

I should penalize him by deducting $50 a month for failure to repair and maintain.
If I call the housing department, I'll be evicted.
How do you know he is a Republican? Do you follow him into the voting booth to see who he votes for?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
has nothing to due with republican/democrat

as an owner you are responsible for nearly everything...as a renter you are paying for the priviledge of living unders someone eslse roof

as a renter you are investing in nothing...you could rent a place for 20 years. and in the end you have nothing

an owner is investing in something, even with a mortgage, the owner after 20 years OWNS it

renters pay no property tax..the owner does..and in some areas the rent (locally set by going rates) barely covers the property taxes of the owner
Don't bother them with the facts, they have already made up their minds.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I am republican I rent a house from a republican, I see no such thing, I choose to rent, I have been in the same house 14 years.In that time the roof collapsed , the sub floors collapsed the shower leaked and flooded doing over 35000 damage I was not responsible for, I do not do the yard and the price of the house has fallen drastically and for my land lord so has the taxes. On the good side i pay on time and do not call for little stuff. I choose to rent and i put into savings more because of it. I like my republican land lord and do not feel anything you mention
SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH you are ruining their view of life.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM

194 posts, read 298,066 times
I live in a solidly Democrat controlled state and it has been Democrat controlled for ten years now, the Democrats have been the only ones to have raised my taxes. I have been a renter this entire time, I much prefer the days when the Republicans were running the show

Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Mostly because Republicans hate poor people and think if someone hits a rough spot then it is due to some personal defect and therefor they deserve it.
You've been listening to Obama haven't you? Too bad.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM

30,412 posts, read 23,877,221 times
Quote:
I expected as much from a clueless repuglican.

You hate people who aren't like yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good point. Renters never worry when the toilet is plugged or the pipes has broken and water is going everywhere. They're not expected to help out or chip in for repairs.
Pathetic. You both would sit there in excrement rather than go out and get a $2 piece of hardware and put the damn thing in to stop the flow of sh**. That's not even amazing to me anymore.

I'll bet that what happened was that you didn't KNOW the fix was a mere $2 wax ring and now you're too embarrassed to admit it...so instead, you'll puff out your chest about how wronged you are and how you're leaving, damnit! In the end, you look pathetic.

And, if it matters THAT much, malamute, get a receipt for the item and produce it to the landlord. Next month you cay pay two whole dollars less on your next rental payment.

Are you people seriously this helpless?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,099,520 times
Quote:
Yes, lease, and in the lease stipulation, no tenant shall make any repairs or alterations to the premises.

we are actively looking around.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...ions-laws.html
And I wished people would have read this^^^^ post^^^before making flaming statements about poopy diapers and living in poop, and stating it is the renter's responsibility and all the other drivels meant to inflame. And for the wise*ss who said something about a $2 dollar part and another saying something about a wax ringand changing someone else's post, read my op in the wisconsin thread. Since when is a broken or severed pipe a renter's responsibility?
I would not rent to you.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,889,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well you are ALMOST right. Republicans hate that there are so many poor people and they want more working, not collecting the dole and paying taxes. That is really a good thing.
Yes,more working at minimum wage jobs.
Sounds like good thing,that way there would be even more renters.

What makes people think only poor people rent?
I know in Nj lots of people who should have rented have super expensive mortgages they can't pay.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,889,341 times
Btwi never let tenants fix things by themselves...
First,that's illegal for them to fix something and take it out of the rent.
You can't take it upon yourself as a tenant and fix anything I gave no authorization for.

Also,what if the tenant fixed something,but made it worse?
Will they pay up then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies