Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,782,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Hilarious video, but very misleading. Technically none of those kids had to work for that candy,

Not true at all. They had to walk around and get the candy from various houses. That's work by any definition. It may not have been hard work, but it was work that got rewarded. The lazy kids would not go to as many houses and therefore not get as much candy.

It's a perfect video lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,470,232 times
Lets do this experiment with Vegetables or a kid getting nothing but pretzels and apples in his hallloween bag and see what happens. I bet every single one of them gives up his share.

When its something crappy like a veggie they will give up there share but when its a commodity like candy they will be greedy.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM

30,342 posts, read 23,817,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I know kids who donate half their candy to the troops. Guess that's ok though.
Because they made the choice. The keyword here, libbies, is CHOICE.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,053,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Because they made the choice. The keyword here, libbies, is CHOICE.
Liberals are only pro-choice when it involves destroying human life - otherwise they want to limit choice as much as possible.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM

15,552 posts, read 10,541,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Lets do this experiment with Vegetables or a kid getting nothing but pretzels and apples in his hallloween bag and see what happens. I bet every single one of them gives up his share.

When its something crappy like a veggie they will give up there share but when its a commodity like candy they will be greedy.
True. It's hard to share those Peanut M & M's.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM

25,862 posts, read 16,574,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's a really good idea if you're already fat....

Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,507,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This actually suggests further study.

Is halloween candy really earned? What if research finds that kids in upper middle class neighborhoods get twice as much (and twice as good) candy per house as kids in working class neighborhoods? Did the UMC kids really earn twice as much candy as the working class kids? Did exclusionary zoning redistribute candy from the working class kids to the UMC kids?

So many possibilities to explore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
LOL. If you ask these same eight yr olds about education they're going to say throw away the books and just let them play video games in the classrooms. They want to skip schools, eat junk food all the time, and watch cartoons all day. Yeah, let them teach us about our tax policy. Make sense. So basically the point is that the Republican platform is a child's play. Not surprising to anyone not drinking the kool aid.

However, if you tell the kids in advance that the organizer needs to collect 2,000 candies to be send to the needy and disabled. So for every 5 candies the kids collect, they have to drop one in the needy bucket. I think they'll say that's fine. And after they've collected the candies, you tell them there's this group of kids who collect the most candies but they don't want to dispose of their candies to the needy, instead they want kids who collected less candies to give up more candies to make up for the number. Now, if you ask them if this is fair, they will unequvically say no. Guarantee.

Easily the two best responses here. Everyone else is muttering something about communism and completely failing to display any critical thought.

Good job guys!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,451,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all. They had to walk around and get the candy from various houses. That's work by any definition. It may not have been hard work, but it was work that got rewarded. The lazy kids would not go to as many houses and therefore not get as much candy.

It's a perfect video lesson.
Seriously?

I said if I were a kid, I'd believe that trick or treating is work but as an adult, it's honestly not. The kids literally have done nothing, the ones who financed the event did. If anything this a lesson about welfare, those who worked to buy them their costumes, the candy, etc had to give those kids the candy. In fact, that's exactly what is, a welfare lesson video. They should've gave a few adults a few buckets full of candy and give the children say five pieces of candy, and lets see how that works out. The kids would literally be begging for redistribution of the candy, not saying "well, they earned that candy so they deserve to keep it all". What these kids got were, by conservative definitions, a handout. They did not work for that candy. At least the poor have to actually work for theirs.

Edit: technically the kids really are asking for handouts, they walk up to adults and they give them candy.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,451,968 times
Next Halloween I think I'll do a Republican Tax Policy video. I'll have a trunk full of Candy, and give it out based on how much you have in your bag. The more candy you have, the more candy I give you. The best part is I will have financed my trunk full of candy by stealing from the kids who were too sick to come out or too poor to afford a costume and were thus too embarrassed to come out. When those sick/poor kids ask "what about us" I'll simply tell them "don't worry, the kids with all the candy will have so much that they will get so sick of it, and then let the leftovers trickle down to you! Sure, they'll have eaten all the snickers, reeses cups and other good stuff, but there will still be plenty of double bubble gum and smarties!"

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,624,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm honestly speechless, I haven't encountered someone that is so oblivious.
Welcome to CD politics.

There are plenty of valid economic arguments against the GOP on elections/romney tax fraud thread.

Here you may just get people who use you tube to understand Macroeconomics 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies