Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,425 times

Advertisements

How come Fox News labels the media mainstream, suggesting that it is a small beacon of right wing light in a sea of liberalism, at the same time boasting about how many more people watch Fox than the other news stations...doesnt that make Fox part of the mainstream itself??

Its always bleating about how the other news stations dont show Americans the truth, and yet hey, they have greater viewing figures than CNN and Msnbc put together...

'CNN’s median viewership increased 16% to 654,500. MSNBC, which has now held onto second place for two years, grew its median prime-time viewership 3% to 773,000. Fox News Channel, however, although still No. 1, experienced a slight drop in viewership, a 3% decline, to 1.9 million. HLN, CNN’s sibling channel, fared even worse, plunging 11% in prime time (median) to 385,500 viewers.' Pew Research Center. 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
How come Fox News labels the media mainstream, suggesting that it is a small beacon of right wing light in a sea of liberalism, at the same time boasting about how many more people watch Fox than the other news stations...doesnt that make Fox part of the mainstream itself??

Its always bleating about how the other news stations dont show Americans the truth, and yet hey, they have greater viewing figures than CNN and Msnbc put together...

'CNN’s median viewership increased 16% to 654,500. MSNBC, which has now held onto second place for two years, grew its median prime-time viewership 3% to 773,000. Fox News Channel, however, although still No. 1, experienced a slight drop in viewership, a 3% decline, to 1.9 million. HLN, CNN’s sibling channel, fared even worse, plunging 11% in prime time (median) to 385,500 viewers.' Pew Research Center. 2011
It's their tag line--their motto or slogan--they use it as a selling point. And that's what all of the mainstream media is about--sales. They want to develop a product that appeals to a lot of people so they can sell ads that are very pricey and keeps them making profits. All of them (the MSM) are for-profit media, which is just a bad method of doing news.

C-SPAN, PBS, and NPR are the best media outlets, although C-SPAN disappoints me so much with their love of Ann Coulter and others of her ilk. Those kind of commentators do not advance debate. They are the "ninny-ninny, boo-boo; we hate you!" kind of polemicists that have ruined both the mainstream media and have wooed C-SPAN that greatly undermines their otherwise fair and balanced reporting. I guess, if I were to put my self into the shoes of C-SPAN founder Brian Lamb, I guess that he would say "well we provide a platform for a great number of liberal authors who are policy experts, historians, sociologists, economists, and other scholars, so we have to balance that perspective with some venom, vitriol, and shamefaced hatred."

I much more prefer CATO and Brookings Institute or even American Enterprise guests over the likes of Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter, and the other ad hominem types.

But to stay on point here, Fox's chest-thumping shibboleths about fair and balance and speaking the truth is just their slogan and nothing more. Serious people don't take it serious, like Campbell's soup is good food--well, actually it's probably the product of food scientists who've maximized taste over nutritional quality, so it might not be good food at all. But it's just what the Campbell's people tell us.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Yet another Fox news thread. I suggest the moderators start a separate section so the libs can rant in unison about fox news.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times
Quote:

Yes indeed it does make Faux Noise part of the mainstream media. Trouble is they want to be both the BMOC and also the under dog. Can't be both

Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
fox ... news , err, unrelated.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:

Tell a lie long enough and the masses believe it. Another form of brainwashing.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
You mean lies like "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"? LOL

Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,355 times
I've gotten pretty sick of Fox actually. I've switched to CNN. They are somewhere between the rhetoric of Fox and NBC. While being fairly conservative, it does me little good to hear one side of any issue over and over. Just not conducive to critical thinking.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yet another Fox news thread. I suggest the moderators start a separate section so the libs can rant in unison about fox news.
I notice you didnt even attempt to answer the question, and its the first time I have ever posted anything about Fox News and where did I say i was a liberal?

Thank you Diogenes, I was really beginning to wonder if I had missed something, because the only radio talk shows I get on my radio are all right wing, Hannity, Limbaugh, Savage etc and Fox is always boasting about their ratings. Thank you Georgiafrog for a reasonable comment.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:21 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
One could argue that Fox actually hurts the conservative cause by not being more subtle and nuanced. If they really wanted to change the political landscape they would try to draw a moderate/swing audience to conservative issues. Many of those shows as so shrill and silly that only die-hards actually believe them.

On the other hand, the people who enjoy watching hours and hours of talk television a day tend to be very conservative. In the end, it's about the money, not the politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies