Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:01 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,423 times

Advertisements

Nobody will post a link! I really want to read an article from a famous, semi-respected liberal decrying all of conservative America as a horde of braindead fascists. I've never seen one before. I'm curious! I swear that I will heap benevolent praise upon the person who proves me incorrect and physically say your name followed by the catholic cross symbol thing (you won't see it but you can trust that I'll do it) if you give me just TWO articles of this type. JUST TWO, I swear. I pledge not to post another message on this board for two days if someone can accomplish the mission. And I will keep my word. I'll even write you a victory song and post the lyrics on the last message before the two-day hiatus. THREE VICTORY SONGS, in fact. And each line in an individual song with every last word rhyming. I'll change my subtitle to "Fishmonger: who got his ass handed to him by (insert name of mission accomplisher here)."

Last edited by fishmonger; 10-11-2007 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Besides, as you well know, bias often expresses itself in the choice of stories to be covered, rather than in the commentary on those stories. The MSM goes nuts over Larry Craig, but forgets Barney Frank; it dwells lovingly on Mitt Romney's Mormon "baggage" while ignoring Harry Reid's; and reports ominously on the Christian Right's unhealthy influence on the Republican Party while passing over the nutballs of MoveOn/Code Pink/Daily Kos and their death-grip on the DNC.

The Left has virtually the entire broadcast and print media, not to mention taxpayer-funded NPR and PBS to hammer home its propaganda and point of view.

The Right has Fox and some AM radio stations. And you blame them for being a little shrill?

Come ON.
Barney Frank has been out of the closet for as long as I have been alive, Larry Craig refuses to get out of the closet.

Mormonism is not well accepted by Evangelical Christians just as they don't accept Catholicism.

And those right-wing pundits are afraid of losing their radio/TV/publishing empire to the internet, thus the fearmongering of bloggery and Daily Kos.

The entire broadcast and print media are not friendly to the left. They are aligned with Corporatism and traditional Conservatism, so the liberal media point is moot; it's just more fearmongering. The right loves to exploit fear. The public broadcasters only have a bias because the right hasn't been able to sabotage the public system yet--the right's attempts through the administration were not successful.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 AM

That "liberal media" was all over keeping us from going into Iraq, wasn't it? Just like they're all fighting against the chance of us going to war with Iran now?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
That "liberal media" was all over keeping us from going into Iraq, wasn't it? Just like they're all fighting against the chance of us going to war with Iran now?
Don't bother the liberal media. They're busy poring over the dossiers on the GOP candidiates, while tossing Hillary softballs.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM

How liberal is Hillary? You should conquer my awesome challenge, I'm looking foward to writing three songs and taking a two day break from this website.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,864,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Commentary" and "journalism" are not the same, though you use them synonymously. I would be interested in your views of "legitimate" vs "non-legitimate" commentary. I have a feeling that the former would be mostly liberals, the latter conservatives.

The mainstream media is not impartial. It is basically hostile to conservative viewpoints. For example: would you consider Chris Matthews an "impartial" jounalist? How about Keith Olbermann, who does co-coverage of the debates when he wears his "straight" mask while working with Matthews?

Besides, as you well know, bias often expresses itself in the choice of stories to be covered, rather than in the commentary on those stories. The MSM goes nuts over Larry Craig, but forgets Barney Frank; it dwells lovingly on Mitt Romney's Mormon "baggage" while ignoring Harry Reid's; and reports ominously on the Christian Right's unhealthy influence on the Republican Party while passing over the nutballs of MoveOn/Code Pink/Daily Kos and their death-grip on the DNC.

The Left has virtually the entire broadcast and print media, not to mention taxpayer-funded NPR and PBS to hammer home its propaganda and point of view.

The Right has Fox and some AM radio stations. And you blame them for being a little shrill?

Come ON.
Right on!! I could hardly have said this any better myself.

Especially compelling is the contrast between the MSM's convulsions of panic over the eeeeevil influence of Christian evangelicals on the GOP, and its dead-silence over the corresponding control of secular-humanist "religious" zealots over the DNC.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Secular religious zealots definitely isn't an oxymoron. But perhaps LancasterNative can be the challenge accomplisher and untruth vanquisher! Come on, people. It'll just take like 10 minutes of your time, we all know how hateful and retarded the liberals are, I'm sure you'll be able to find some of their crazy vile leftist hatred to prove my idiocy. I'm held in suspense right now.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Coulter is not a journalist. She is a pundit with an overt partisan agenda in her writing. A journalist does not have an overt partisan agenda. A journalist of course has a point of view but that view does/should not drive the investigation of facts per se. A journalist can have a right wing or left wing orientation but should be primarily a gatherer and reporter of facts. The manager of journalists (such as a managing editor) has the job of being the corrective to a journalist with an overt partisan agenda.

I had a discussion with someone on other thread (post #782 of the "Confederate Flag" thread) about the definition of "facts". A fact is not necessarily true in the sense of being verifiable, such as the example of the reporting in the media of the high temperature yesterday at your city's airport. A fact is a statement about the world that some significant part of the public regards as true or truthful.

An opinion that is based mostly on facts is "well-founded" but not necessarily true. A fact can be true if it can be verified, and the means and standard for verification (which might be merely a degree of approximation) depends on the nature of the subject matter.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM

265 posts, read 665,354 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Nobody will post a link! I really want to read an article from a famous, semi-respected liberal decrying all of conservative ...
Ha! reading this thread has been a lark! The operative word in the above quote is " respected ".
It's hard to present a link when there is no one on the left to respect even semi.....

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Alright, then, just semi-famous will do. Any semi-famous liberal commentator. Bill Maher, Al Franken, even Jeneane Garofalo or however you spell her name, even though she's a comedian, but she was on Fox, so I guess you could use her, just anybody as long as it's not an anonymous blog or some random dude's website. Or Paul Krugman, or who else? Like Thomas Friedman, maybe, or Cynthia Tucker, or any of the guys from The Nation, or from like thinkprogress.com or commondreams or whatever those websites are called, or evil scary MoveOn.org (not a post or a blog, but an actual column/essay/article), or evil scary DailyKos, or corrupt George Soros-controlled leftist mediamatters, or Keith Olbermann, or "liberal" Alan Colmes, or I guess you could even use crazy actors like Sean Penn or Alec Baldwin or whoever, but then you have to find 3 instead of 2 since they're not really paid to be commentators, I'm trying to give you guys ideas... Jon Stewart? Stephen Colbert? Scary liberal commie Chris Matthews? Ralph Nader? Michael Moore? Jello Biafra? Noam Chomsky? Lewis Black? Al Sharpton? Molly Ivins?

Last edited by fishmonger; 10-11-2007 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies