Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
were we told last night and again this morning: Obama is going to work with both sides or the aisle? Now, this, well who will win, Reid, Romney or nobody?
Obama made that same promise immediately after being elected in 2008 but the first time the Republicans stood up to him and his Senate leaders he told them to go to hell and will do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post

Typical of the Left wing party. Don't like the rules or you can't play by them? CHANGE THEM!
The country can no longer thrive by Repubs who obstruct all progress because they are bitter, jealous, old, white men who would rather be angry than do anything constructive for our country.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The country can no longer thrive by Repubs who obstruct all progress because they are bitter, jealous, old, white men who would rather be angry than do anything constructive for our country.
Ummmmm... Harry Reid supported the change to where it is now when HE was in the minority. What do you call Reid's obstructionism? Patriotism?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It was an evil to change the filibuster rules in the first place. It should not have been done. If a Senator feels strong enough about a bill to filibuster, let him or her do it like the old times (one of the best, if I recall, was Strom Thurmond).

This saying "I filibuster" and then going out for drinks is disgusting.
As evil as that method is it what has been used for all of the opening years of the 21st Century and it seems to me that Harry Reid did it all the time before 2007 when he took over.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
So OP, the conspiracy to make Obama a one term POTUS and working that pathetic agenda, is not a glaring red flag and smoking gun to you as to which party sabotaged the nation's progress? Are you really that obtuse or is it there another bizarre reason?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It was an evil to change the filibuster rules in the first place. It should not have been done. If a Senator feels strong enough about a bill to filibuster, let him or her do it like the old times (one of the best, if I recall, was Strom Thurmond).

This saying "I filibuster" and then going out for drinks is disgusting.
My favorite filibuster came from Huey Long in the 30s when he read things like his favorite recipe for making put likker and the like. He went for 15 1/2 hours with that one. I loved to see them bring in the cots and meals so they could stay in session to keep the speaker going.

The filibuster is one of the best things to come out of the Senate up to the time they just declared one of them and then went about their business.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So OP, the conspiracy to make Obama a one term POTUS and working that pathetic agenda, is not a glaring red flag and smoking gun to you as to which party sabotaged the nation's progress? Are you really that obtuse or is it some other bizarre reason?
Stay on topic. Obama needed and needs to go still. He's a complete and utter failure, but hey, that's what Americans like these days I guess. It seems Harry Reid was working to make him a one termer too by all the obstructionism he displayed.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Oh, man, I HATE when majority rules. So undemocratic, so unconstitutional.

The founding fathers totally wanted a minority in the Senate to run the entire country, they just forgot to put it into the Bill of Rights, so the Senate took care of it for them a little later, and the GOP perfected it in historic, unprecedented fashion when the black man was elected to the White House.

Cry me a river. If you're so uneducated to not understand what's been going on for the last 4 years in the Senate, go get a grip and come back when you do.

The history of the filibuster, in one graph - The Washington Post

Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh, man, I HATE when majority rules. So undemocratic, so unconstitutional.

The founding fathers totally wanted a minority in the Senate to run the entire country, they just forgot to put it into the Bill of Rights, so the Senate took care of it for them a little later, and the GOP perfected it in historic, unprecedented fashion when the black man was elected to the White House.

Cry me a river. If you're so uneducated to not understand what's been going on for the last 4 years in the Senate, go get a grip and come back when you do.

The history of the filibuster, in one graph - The Washington Post
Yep, you wanted it this way when it benefited you, like Harry Reid, but now, it has to go right?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ummmmm... Harry Reid supported the change to where it is now when HE was in the minority. What do you call Reid's obstructionism? Patriotism?
But Harry is in charge now and what he once supported doesn't benefit him or his side.
so now it's bad.

It's a pity that people wearing their partisan glasses don't see this for what it is.
Harry backed the bill because it worked in his favor THEN, not because it was good for Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies