Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Now that we've determined that gender can no longer be used to define marriage, I think we need to throw numbers out. After all, who are we to determine what happens in someone's bedroom?
If you're so keen to get polygamy legalized, then find a whole bunch of people who feel the same way, organize them, march, protest, hire lawyers, build state and national advocacy groups, and then maybe in 30 or 40 years you might get your wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 4,547 times
Default Government has no business being involved in marriage.

People do not need government involved in their marriage at all. My wife and I married at the courthouse in San Francisco. Since the day we requested a copy of our marriage license (which took like a month to arrive) we have not really had any contact whatsoever with the County of San Francisco. How they need to be involved in our marriage at all is a complete mystery to me. My wife changed her last name to mine by going to the Driver's License Bureau and filling out a form. They didn't ask for any documents proving she was married to me. (It was thirty years ago, before the government had gone completely crazy.) She could have changed her name to anything. I could have several wives, all whom of carry a Driver's License with my last name, and who would know any different?

I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman, not necessarily between ONE man and ONE woman. If my wife and I chose to bring another woman into our family, so long as she was a consenting adult, why would that be anybody's business but our own? It wouldn't be anybody else's business, and certainly not the State's business. If two men, or two women, decided to marry how is that any of the State's business? The idea that one is not married just because one hasn't completed the county's paperwork and paid their fee is just as preposterous as the idea that just because two people have a marriage license that a state of matrimony exists. Marriage is a familial bond between two people as a couple. The State doesn't enter into it, cannot enforce it, and cannot prohibit it.

A marriage license is just a piece of paper. Where the marriage exists is in the hearts and minds of the married couple. So far as I'm concerned, I am not one whit more married because my wife and I went down and paid the County of San Francisco thirty-five dollars than I would be if we had just thrown a party for our friends and family and declared that we were married.

If my wife and I decided to expand our family by adding another wife, I suppose we could legally "divorce" one another and I could then legally marry a second wife (apparently quite a few polygamists actually do this) but what is the point, really? We are married. We face the world as a family, and the State's permission is not required, or desired.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Gee that would be a nightmare in the courts when it came to divorce, custody and child support.
Would be a boon for lawyers though.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 4,547 times
No need for divorce if you are truly married. No need for the State to force me to support my children, either. I will support them, NO MATTER WHAT. They're MY children, for god sakes. Divorce was extremely rare until the late 1940's.

Apparently America has solved the divorce problem by simply not ever marrying in the first place. We just have "baby mommas" now, unmarried women who have children by a variety of "sperm donors" who never actually father the children they created.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM

179 posts, read 193,098 times
Bad idea. I mean can you just imagine being nagged from 5 wives? One is bad enough!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Smelly Mormons.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Legalizing same-sex marriage is no more likely to lead to polygamy than legalizing interracial marriage. Which, of course, did not lead to same-sex marriage.

So, how's that polygamy going in Massachusetts? Oh, wait... they've had same-sex marriage there for nine years now, and no sign whatsoever of polygamy in the Bay State.

On the plus side, it's encouraging to see that you still have just the same old nonsensical arguments which aren't working!
Can you explain to me how same sex marriage is any different than polygamy, marriage to children or animals? After all, gay marriage and "sodomy" used to be illegal in nearly every state.

Why deny "rights" to polygamists, pedophiles, and those who want to marry animals?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Now that we've determined that gender can no longer be used to define marriage, I think we need to throw numbers out. After all, who are we to determine what happens in someone's bedroom?
I would agree in principal. You should be able to marry multiple men/women if you so desire and have agreement. It would go both ways of course (1 woman multiple men or 1 man multiple men).

You could also have couple marriages too (2 women 2 men). I think though, there should be a primary spouse though. . .for legal/decisions/etc. i.e. power of attorney. Can't have 3 people making a decision.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
I could care less if some idiot wanted more than one wife (serves him right for the hard life he will have) or if a woman wants two husbands. As long as they don't cost the taxpayer any money.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Can you explain to me how same sex marriage is any different than polygamy, marriage to children or animals? After all, gay marriage and "sodomy" used to be illegal in nearly every state.

Why deny "rights" to polygamists, pedophiles, and those who want to marry animals?
That seems like a VERY easy one

A child or animal is unable to consent to the marriage and/or sexual act. Therefore it is rape and a violation of that animal/childs rights. A child can't consent until a specific age (and no longer a child) a animal can never consent.

I mean that seems ethics 101 surprised you missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies