Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
So god said "hey Joe, Brig take many wives but you best hurry up because this is a limited time sales event?" And when god "outlawed" the practice what happened to all the polygamist marriages? They were magically divored? They were grandfathered in? And who actually says that there are too few of us and now we have enough so polygamy is outlawed? I'm sure it had absolutely nothing to admitting Utah into the union as a state...absoultely nothing.

PS There are still sects of mormons that are polygamists. It's kind of hard to say god said it was cool then but not now without coming across as hypocritical.
Sorry for wasting your time, smallbrains. I mistakenly assumed you were looking for accurate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Now that we've determined that gender can no longer be used to define marriage, I think we need to throw numbers out. After all, who are we to determine what happens in someone's bedroom?
Why not.
Children don't matter to parents, they're pretty much pets and the state is happy to step in and raise them to be good comrades and patriots to the new world order.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Quote:
Now that we've determined that gender can no longer be used to define marriage, I think we need to throw numbers out. After all, who are we to determine what happens in someone's bedroom?
This is the textbook definition of a troll. With a name to match.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Children don't matter to parents, they're pretty much pets and the state is happy to step in and raise them to be good comrades and patriots to the new world order.
Children should be a top priority when discussing any social/political issues. I would argue that, in the long run, polyamorous families (whether sanctioned as "marriage" or not) can potentially draw on the strengths of the extended-family concept (which was the primary social concept prior to the "nuclear family" composed of mom, dad, and the kids). I'd say that the social shift from extended to nuclear family arrangements was a massive social failure. If we could achieve wide-scale social acceptance of polyamory, I believe that many of the advantages of the extended family could be reclaimed.

Obviously anyone can point to anecdotal stories of poly families failing and the kids being hurt, abused, etc. Families fail and kids are hurt and abused in every conceivable type of family arrangement. On the whole, however, I would suggest that poly families are no worse for kids, and are probably better for kids in the long run, due to more in-family care-giving resources. I do not think that society would be harmed in any way by allowing the government to sanction poly marriages and, in the long run, children might ultimately be better off.

Note: I am NOT arguing that everyone would be poly. I AM saying that, as a society, we should stop trying to denigrate those who choose to live in poly relationships, and we should at least seriously consider the possibility of letting them marry their multiple partners.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1) goats can't consent to marriage, therefore sex with a goat is rape/unethical

2) 1st cousins have a genetic impact due to gene simmularities (3-4% increased i'm reading). Not crazy though, I think I would allow it.

3) 2nd cousins and beyond. . .really not a social order/genetic issue, and thus allowed

Where is the line drawn? ability to consent and science
Wait, Goats have sex all the time, most animals do. So are you now saying that we should stop all goats from having sex because they may not be consenting? Why is it different when a human gets involved? Are you saying that because it's not natural, it shouldn't be alowed?

Why is 17 the legal age of Consent? I've met 20 year olds that aren't mature enough to make that decision, and I've met 15 year olds that ARE, yet (at least in my state) 17 is the magic number!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times
I am in full support of polygamy if its all consensual.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM

380 posts, read 376,842 times

Everything you always wanted to know about sex but afraid to ask-- sheep - YouTube

Sorry. I couldn't find the whole thing on youtube.

Might as well head off future issues and make a blanket right to marriage excluding children and animals.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
My opinion on this is if two or more adults meet the following prerequisites:

- Over the age of 18

- Of sound Mind and Judgment

- Willing and able to sign a marriage certificate

Then what does it matter who or how many people, regardless of orientation, gets married? What goes on in the bedroom is totally up to them and is no business of mine, yours, or anyone else's.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
I've been saying this for some time but the gays draw the line at numbers I guess.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've been saying this for some time but the gays draw the line at numbers I guess.
Name one organization or group that advocates for polygamous marriage in the United States, other than the Libertarian party and fringe Mormon groups.

When you find one, then perhaps this thread could be considered seriously. Until then, however, your rantings make you look foolish. Yes, gay people only want what heterosexual people have: the chance to marry one person. Nothing more, nothing less. Why is that so difficult for you to understand and to accept ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies