Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times

Advertisements

My company is already crunching the numbers to see what the impact of Obamacare will be in 2014. So far it appears the hourly workers will be reduced to part time. Unbelievable what this is going to do to businesses and their employees.

How do you see companies responding to this very hefty increase in cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
My company is already crunching the numbers to see what the impacts of Obamacare will be in 2014. So far it appears the hourly workers will be reduced to part time. Unbelievable what this is going to do to businesses and their employees.

Interesting.
Could you break down what it is that will be costing so much more for your company (without getting too company-specific, of course)? I think that would be illustrative and informative. Thanks.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
My company is already crunching the numbers to see what the impact of Obamacare will be in 2014. So far it appears the hourly workers will be reduced to part time. Unbelievable what this is going to do to businesses and their employees.

i assume you're talking about the 30-hour week threshold that requires employer health insurance ?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:

It isn't just your company, there are a lot of businesses that have either already started to reduce hours or are preparing to do so. On the flip side, those companies that can't reduce hours will be raising their prices to cover the costs of the PPACA mandates.

I've come to the conclusion that most of the people supporting this law haven't actually read it, and don't know what the detrimental effects will be. Too many are wrapped up in the idea of "universal healthcare" and haven't taken the time to figure out that Obamacare is going to lead to a reduction in wages for the working poor, as well as a massive increase in expenses for the middle class.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It's been all over the MSM.

Companies laying off people..the response: "Happens all the time. Not Obamacare."
Companies reducing hours..the response: "Happens all the time. Not Obamacare."

People will refuse to acknowledge that some of the Obamacare mandates will have fallout by business.
Just wait til more kick in next year regarding home sales and the stock market.

Did the Dems think everyone would just lay down and take it with no fallout ? Really ?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Elections have consequences. Thanks liberals, hope youre proud.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i assume you're talking about the 30-hour week threshold that requires employer health insurance ?
But it's not any type of healthcare insurance..it's "qualifying health insurance". The USG has set a min type of acceptable health insurance that companies can offer.
And don't forget the fines.

Smaller businesses really do need to crunch the numbers. We are in a stagnant economy with not much revenue growth from business.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Like a lot of companies, our managers get lower premiums than the hourly workers. This will not be allowed, so everyone gets the better plan or the lower plan. There also cheap plans that offer basic coverage. Under the law, these plans must meet a certain requirement and thus will cost more money. Most likely the best solution is to not offer health insurance and make everyone buy into the health insurance exchange. To avoid the $2,000 fine for each employee annually, you reduce your workers to under 30 hours a week. Or get your total headcount below 50, which isn't possible for a company like ours with 350 employees.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
I have posted in several threads about what Obamacare is going to do to the medical sector and mainly the medical device companies.
Formthose that doubt that they will be affected by it, ask the 500 employees at St Medical that were just laid off.
Yesterday, my husbands company walked people out the door, you know, one of those;knock n office door, gather your things, and oh btw, if you voted for Obama, thank him.
This is just the beginning at his company and many more...

Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:

Liberals think with their heart and not their heads, sometimes. This is going to have severe consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies