Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times

Advertisements

No surprise here. After all, they are the modern day Confederacy. Supremely ignorant and vile. Racially-insensitive. Supported by the most racist and narrow-minded people in this country. Supported by the Klan and every maggot white supremist group in the country. They always take the low road and represent a cancer on this society. Unless they join us in modern times, they face extinction. Racist tweets are no surprise by this bunch.

A 75 year-old man who is a Republican has wasted 75 years of his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Very depressing, but not at all surprising considering what my children are hearing in school from their peers.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,933,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
lol. Go check out the tweets from minorities, especially blacks. They want to kill Israelis and white people.
Exactly theres a video........the first thing out of the black young man's mouth was "Now we can get rid of Israel, kill the MotherF*ker's" some in the black community are getting so educated, it just amazes me...

Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Interesting quantitative analysis that shows:

"* Mississippi and Alabama have the highest LQ measures with scores of 7.4 and 8.1, respectively.

* Other southern states (Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee) surrounding these two core states also have very high LQ scores and form a fairly distinctive cluster in the southeast.

* The prevalence of post-election racist tweets is not strictly a southern phenomenon as North Dakota (3.5), Utah (3.5) and Missouri (3) have very high LQs. Other states such as West Virginia, Oregon and Minnesota don't score as high but have a relatively higher number of hate tweets than their overall twitter usage would suggest.

* The Northeast and West coast (with the exception of Oregon) have a relatively lower number of hate tweets.

* States shaded in grey had no geocoded hate tweets within our database. Many of these states (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and South Dakota) have relatively low levels of Twitter use as well. Rhode Island has much higher numbers of geocoded tweets but had no hate tweets that we could identify."

floatingsheep: Mapping Racist Tweets in Response to President Obama's Re-election
Someone has WAY too much free time on their hands.

It's sort of telling that the "racist", red state of Mississippi is 37% black, while those bastions of diversity, Mass and NY, are 7.8% and 15% respectively.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Default Mapping Racist Tweets in Response to President Obama's Re-election

"During the day after the 2012 presidential election we took note of a spike in hate speech on Twitter referring to President Obama's re-election, as chronicled by Jezebel (thanks to Chris Van Dyke for bringing this our attention). It is a useful reminder that technology reflects the society in which it is based, both the good and the bad. "

floatingsheep: Mapping Racist Tweets in Response to President Obama's Re-election

Check out the interactive map for some closer information.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Very depressing, but not at all surprising considering what my children are hearing in school from their peers.
Depressing, and yet, not surprising. On election day, I went through my facebook to see the number of comments about the election(and I live on the western periphery of metro Atlanta). I saw alot of people who weren't happy about President Obama being re-elected. That didn't surprise me. What hurt me was one comment that was made. He was supposedly one of my friends. His comment was very racist, suggesting that Obama should "run" back to Kenya. Basically, it drew on the stereotype of Kenyans being runners, and suggesting that President Obama was born in Kenya. As a result, I deleted him. I figured if he could make that kind of comment about the president, that was basically like telling me "go back to Africa".

My brother was in high school when President Obama was elected the first time. According to him, racial tensions became quite intense at his old high school.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
The CD boards have lots of racist tweets FOR Obama, start here.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
It doesn't shock me that the worst comes from the Deep South. I live in the South and I've seen a bit of the fallout from the election. The USA has a bad history of racism as a whole, but the Deep South has some of the ugliest history of it. Racism hasn't died out. It is just being manifested differently. Thanks to the anonymity of the internet, more people are bold about posting racist things on the internet. Ironically, some people have used their real names posted on their Twitter accounts, so that anonymity is not as much as you think.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,448 times
We live in a day and age where technology can allow one person to communicate with potentially the entire world with a device that fits in their pocket. A few decades back, that wasn't possible....there was no Twitter or Facebook or even the Internet itself. The other half of it is that there's no accountability for what gets posted on the Internet. Some people confess things they normally wouldn't, others fabricate stories that their alter ego makes up....you don't know l if they're whom they claim to be....you don't even know if they're adults. You need to keep this all in mind before you start assuming you're referring to a significant portion of our population. If it was 3,000,000 people (which I doubt it's anywhere near that), that's still less than 1% of our population.

As I mentioned in my last post, the study says that the majority of these tweets appears to be high Schiller's....now THAT'S what doesn't surprise me.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,448 times
We live in a day and age where technology can allow one person to communicate with potentially the entire world with a device that fits in their pocket. A few decades back, that wasn't possible....there was no Twitter or Facebook or even the Internet itself. The other half of it is that there's no accountability for what gets posted on the Internet. Some people confess things they normally wouldn't, others fabricate stories that their alter ego makes up....you don't know l if they're whom they claim to be....you don't even know if they're adults. You need to keep this all in mind before you start assuming you're referring to a significant portion of our population. If it was 3,000,000 people (which I doubt it's anywhere near that), that's still less than 1% of our population.

As I mentioned in my last post, the study says that the majority of these tweets appears to be high Schiller's....now THAT'S what doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies