Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will we go off the Fiscal Cliff on Dec. 31
Yes 33 53.23%
No 29 46.77%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times

Advertisements

No. Worst thing that will happen is that they'll come to a last minute deal to keep the tax rates the same for everyone, and they'll pass a short term continuing resolution to kick the can down the road.

Best thing that can happen is a bipartisan deal to regulate Washingtons spending and pay down the debt over a 10 year peiod.

Most likely there'll be something in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times
Those who are opposing a balanced approach to our fiscal problems are for some reason wearing blinders to the phenomenon that the ultra-rich are the biggest beneficiaries of huge government spending and huge tax cuts. The ultra-rich want it both ways. They want more government spending (and they get it) and they want to pay less taxes via huge deductions as well as lower rates. If you are fighting to make the wealthier, wealthier, save your energy. They are doing quite well without your help. They now own 40% of the country and it is growing. It is the largest wealth gap in history.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How in hell can he cut much more from Medicare when Obamacare takes out about $50 billion a year before any new cuts? I don't think many people really understand what that one is about but we on Medicare sure did catch that part of the law.
The problem with Medicare is not how much we spend but how we spend. Health costs are spiraling with no end in sight.

The U.S. spends upon 20% of GNP on health care. Japan, Germany, and all other developed countries spend about 40% less and they all have a higher life expectancy. Spending more does not mean better health. The health care industry is soaking our economy dry while benefiting very few people. Costs have to be brought under control.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No. Worst thing that will happen is that they'll come to a last minute deal to keep the tax rates the same for everyone, and they'll pass a short term continuing resolution to kick the can down the road.

Best thing that can happen is a bipartisan deal to regulate Washingtons spending and pay down the debt over a 10 year peiod.

Hopefully you are right. I think that there is a very high likelihood that we go off the fiscal cliff (I don't think there is enough time to work out a tax reform deal), and then it is rescinded sometime after the new Congress is formed. But hopefully this does not happen.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I agree with you 100% BUT I just dont think Obama is going to let go of this "Pay their fair share" mantra. He will continue to label the Republicans obstructionists until they agree to a tax increase. This last election is at least some proof that this sells well with the public. If the Republicans continue to obstruct his "vision" of whats fair and the deficit continues to climb; then they will be blamed for all eternity for it. I personally dont think taxing the top 2% is going to do a damn thing for the deficit but if congress lets it occur at least Obama and only Obama will own it and its repercussions. On the other hand if it succeeds[doubtful], Republicans can say we cooperated and we have been part of the solution. I dont see how Republicans can lose with this. It will either be good for the country, and thats what's important in the long run, or it will be bad and it can be draped on Obamas back.
Do I see you agreeing with Limbaugh about the Santa Claus factor we saw in the election?

In too many of the interviews I have heard from those 18 to 29 year olds it sounds like he was very right when he said that.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How in hell can he cut much more from Medicare when Obamacare takes out about $50 billion a year before any new cuts? I don't think many people really understand what that one is about but we on Medicare sure did catch that part of the law.
And why cut only Medicare which is the program that was paid into by those who will receive it? Why aren't there any spending cuts being planned for Medicaid? We can't just cut one and let the other grow at sky high rates.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I agree. More amazing than the willing to compromise on revenue is their new found love for immigration reform. Both Hannity and Boehner are now preaching the need for rapid immigration reform. They have found a "new religion". Glory be.
The have given up on enforcement of the 1986 Immigration Reform act? I guess they might as well since nobody in the last three administrations have tried to enforce that law. Amnesty was all they saw in that law and nobody has ever tried to punish employers as that law called for.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

The President has just made a statement (breaking news) that any bill that extends the current rate on those making $250,000 or more will be vetoed. There will be no kick the can this time.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
The reaction of Congress is irrelevant - the reaction of John Boehner is what matters. Obama turned a very clever trick just now, with his flourish of his pen ready to sign an extension for the 99%. Very neat, for a man who must still be mentally and physically exhausted - almost Disraelian. I wonder who actually came up with it.
LOL, did you see that too. I know that congress voted on it this summer (with lots of dramatics around it) but isn't it the house and means committee that has to pass it first. So after all the drama the House voted to extend the Bush tax cuts for everyone then it was supposed to be voted on in congress. It was pushed past the election now everyone waits on congress.

Obama is playing politics today. He said he would veto it if it included 200K and higher. If Obama veto's it, everyone pays higher taxes.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
A deadlock accomplishes nothing.

A budget that is passed can be modified, and all budgets are always modified. Laws addressing financial plans are the same; they too, can be modified and perfected after passage. Neither side will ever get 100% of what they want. Until Congress actually passes something, then compromises as soon as faults are discovered, we will never get out of our money problems.

It's high time our Congress people start getting to know each other. As long as they hang out with only their own and never get to know anyone on the other side on a personal basis, we are all still stuck in the same sinking ship. Collegiality has to return. Mutual respect has to return. People over party has to return. Civility has to return.

If this does not happen, vote your bum out and hire another person. Don't wait for the other guy to vote their bum out first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies