Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will we go off the Fiscal Cliff on Dec. 31
Yes 33 53.23%
No 29 46.77%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
On the other hand if it succeeds[doubtful], Republicans can say we cooperated and we have been part of the solution. I dont see how Republicans can lose with this. It will either be good for the country, and thats what's important in the long run, or it will be bad and it can be draped on Obamas back.
They can lose because Obama will play all the drama like he did today. he will also lie because he knows that Obama voters don't understand how the government works and just like they did through the election they will comply to their owner wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama is playing politics today. He said he would veto it if it included 200K and higher. If Obama veto's it, everyone pays higher taxes.
Well everyone in politics plays politics.

The question is whether Republicans will really allow taxes to go up on everyone just to save the ultra-rich from paying a few more dollars in taxes? It is an interesting question that will be answered in a month and a half. The line has been drawn.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Every one of our esteemed republicans are saying "cut spending first and then we'll talk about tax cuts". Why can't we do both and have a balanced approach? When spending cuts are mentioned, it's always the social safety net programs. why can't we discuss military spending cuts in the same breath. OH no! we can't cut military spending and make our country vulnerable, seeing that we have the largest military budget than the next 15 major powers combined.
Republicans only want to cut social safety net programs. Never mentioning credits to major oil and gas companies or downsizing the military as we disengage from two disastrous wars.
What's up with that?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A deadlock accomplishes nothing.

A budget that is passed can be modified, and all budgets are always modified. Laws addressing financial plans are the same; they too, can be modified and perfected after passage. Neither side will ever get 100% of what they want. Until Congress actually passes something, then compromises as soon as faults are discovered, we will never get out of our money problems.

It's high time our Congress people start getting to know each other. As long as they hang out with only their own and never get to know anyone on the other side on a personal basis, we are all still stuck in the same sinking ship. Collegiality has to return. Mutual respect has to return. People over party has to return. Civility has to return.

If this does not happen, vote your bum out and hire another person. Don't wait for the other guy to vote their bum out first.
Mutual respect like obama showed today. Nada. I hope we all go over since people are so nasty and wish ill on other Americans. Of course the needy greedy will not care.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The President has just made a statement (breaking news) that any bill that extends the current rate on those making $250,000 or more will be vetoed. There will be no kick the can this time.
No, I watched the news conferce.

What he said, is that any bill that doesn't "raise a dime" on those making 250,000 or more will be vetoed. He wouldn't "require middle class workers to pay for all of the deficit reduction while those like myself will pay nothing extra".

He didn't say rates, he said amounts. Meaning, he's showing a compromise position of cutting deductions to effectively raise rates, without going to 39.6%.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Well everyone in politics plays politics.

The question is whether Republicans will really allow taxes to go up on everyone just to save the ultra-rich from paying a few more dollars in taxes? It is an interesting question that will be answered in a month and a half. The line has been drawn.
I hope it does... on everyone! If you wish bad things for everyday americans then you deserve to feel it too.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A deadlock accomplishes nothing.

A budget that is passed can be modified, and all budgets are always modified. Laws addressing financial plans are the same; they too, can be modified and perfected after passage. Neither side will ever get 100% of what they want. Until Congress actually passes something, then compromises as soon as faults are discovered, we will never get out of our money problems.

It's high time our Congress people start getting to know each other. As long as they hang out with only their own and never get to know anyone on the other side on a personal basis, we are all still stuck in the same sinking ship. Collegiality has to return. Mutual respect has to return. People over party has to return. Civility has to return.

If this does not happen, vote your bum out and hire another person. Don't wait for the other guy to vote their bum out first.
I agree. Everyone is pretty angry, including the CEOs of many of the largest companies who have come together and insist on a balanced approach that includes higher revenues and budget cuts. I think this time something will happen. The question I have is what will it be like on Dec. 31?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then make a voluntary tax increase --- all those who don't mind paying more taxes can sign up an pay them. I do not want to pay any more taxes, I pay far too many taxes now.

But if you aren't paying enough in taxes, then I think you should voluntarily send in more.
We see you're still stuck in that mode huh?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Because Obama has no understanding of compromise and negotiation.

Let Obama start compromising by suggesting some significant spending cuts, whole programs and government departments he's willing to see get the axe.

His over and over "tax the rich, tax the rich, tax the rich" is not the solution and it's not a compromise. Start with spending cuts and then we can talk taxes.
he (Obama) did. you must have missed things, yes? defense was one.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 11-09-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

What he said, is that any bill that doesn't "raise a dime" on those making 250,000 or more will be vetoed. He wouldn't "require middle class workers to pay for all of the deficit reduction while those like myself will pay nothing extra".

He didn't say rates, he said amounts. Meaning, he's showing a compromise position of cutting deductions to effectively raise rates, without going to 39.6%.
First it is $200K (single people) and $250K for married people. He will veto a bill if it includes these people and if he veto's the bill the Bush tax cuts expire for everyone.

Compromise my ass, I didn't see a compromise. It's political drama and a power play. Enjoy your tax hike Obama voters.

Before Obama was elected the first time he knew full well there was a debt and spending problem yet he spent more and more money instead and wants everyday hard working americans to pay for his spending.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

The press secretary released the statement after the news conference (just a few moments ago). The release made it clear that there will be a veto if Congress attempts to kick the can (extend current tax rates). The line has been drawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies