Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,556,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.X View Post
The point is we're slowly losing our personal freedoms...
This isn't an example of "losing personal freedoms". The point that you're missing is that "freedom" has consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,047,584 times
The idiot only has herself to blame. Maybe people should educate themselves regarding non-union jobs in right to work states before they go blaming Obama for their fat mouths and intolerant beliefs. A private business has the right to hire and fire anyone for just about anything aside from race...age..gender...disability. Karma is a ***** she wished evil on someone and something bad happened to her.

Quote:
I thought we lived in a free country...Oh...I forgot...we now live under Barack Obama Mussolini...Hail the great
leader....

Woman Loses Job Over Obama Facebook Post After Election | Politics

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,009,449 times
So, let's see:

A private citizen works for a privately owned corporation.
The citizen decides to publicly label the president of the US a N*igger and call for his assassination.
The racist rant goes viral and gives extremely negative publicity for the employer.
The employer decides that people like that make very poor representatives of the company.
The employer fires that person.

Where, in all that, did Obama come into play?

That's right - only in your hate-filled (or perhaps air-filled) head where anything and everything you perceive as unjust or unfair is the fault of the president.

Even though our president clearly has nothing to do with the hiring and firing policies of private companies. And even though the US 9th Circuit Court, in a majority decision, had previously determined that calling for the assassination of a president and making racial slurs may, in some cases, be particularly repugnant but that current US statutes do NOT criminalize "predictions or exhortations to others to injure or kill the president."

I know, none of that matters to people like you:
If gasoline is expensive, it's Obama's fault.
If gasoline prices drop, it's Obama trying to "buy" votes.
If a private employer fires a person for making racist slurs, it's Obama's fault.
If you are stuck in a traffic jam, it's Obama's fault.
If a hurricane strikes the Northeast, it's Obama's fault.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,725,082 times
I don't know what she wrote, but if she threatened, that's cause for investigation and, quite possibly, termination of employment. We don't know her history on the job -- this may have been the final straw.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 AM

68 posts, read 52,638 times
Quote:
Only stupid people believe that the 1st Amendment carries no personal responcibilty, I see that she's not alone.

So when you get on the Internet and start calling people ni66ers and trumpeting their assasination, be prepared to face the consequences of exercising your 1st amendment rights!!!

Btw we are not living under " Barack Obama Mussolini" but sadly for people like you we aren't living under William J. Simmons!!!
1st of all i'm catholic( Catholic Church not only teaches against racial prejudice but more than one quarter of the world's over one billion Catholics are of African heritage) so i don't think the KKK would want any thing to do with me...

Quote:
only stupid people believe that the 1st Amendment carries no personal responcibilty, I see that she's not alone.
2nd--your right and it seems that certain elements of our society are not held to personal responsibility due the color of their skin

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,533,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So you would rather have the government prevent a private employer from firing someone?
For expressing an opinion? Freedom of speech and expression are supposed to be the most valuable you have under your much ballyhood Constitution.

It ain't worth much if a person can be fired over posting something unpopular on a public forum now, is it?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times
Quote:
The point is we're slowly losing our personal freedoms...
Oh, this is RICH.

I guess you would prefer Big Daddy Government to force the private employer to rehire her?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,284,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Because Stone Cold Creamery fired a person for doing something stupid?
Cold Stone Creamery did precisely what the Romney campaign should have done when Akin, Walsh, and Mourdock were on a tear - disowned, disavowed, and condemned what was said.

Silence implies consent. If you do not work actively against injustice, you will be tarred with the same brush.

This girl posted that she would like to see the duly elected President of the Free World assassinated, when over half the voters elected him. If the OP owned a business, would he take a chance that no one would be pissed off enough by his employees's comments to quit doing business with him and urge others to do the same? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM

68 posts, read 52,638 times
Quote:
Oh, this is RICH.

I guess you would prefer Big Daddy Government to force the private employer to rehire her?
Nooooo...but whats happened is that we're so scared of not being politically correct...that we're slowing eroding our freedoms of free speech...I call it Liberal Fascism!!!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,741,936 times
She wasn't arrested for what she said, so she had freedom of speech. Freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from all consequences. She called the president a n***** and mentioned him getting assinated. Not only did that negatively impact her employer when it went viral (boycotts, people calling into the store with threats), it also shows a complete lack of judgement on her part.
I am so disappointed that Obama got reelected and I think he is terrible for this country, but I would have fired her also. I don't get when people will realize that you shouldn't post anything on the internet that you wouldn't want shown on national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies