Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He plans to throw a whole lot of money at the problem. Instead of decreasing tuition by getting the government out of the financial aid, he's got this plan to pay big money to those colleges that offer lower tuitions -- shifting the costs of tuition to the taxpayers instead of the students who benefit from their eduations.
Throw money at the problem.. Isn't the part of the reason tuition costs are outlandish in the first place. These Liberals say they understand "demand" but they have a real hard time understanding the unintended consequences of throwing money at a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,358,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Throw money at the problem.. Isn't the part of the reason tuition costs are outlandish in the first place. These Liberals say they understand "demand" but they have a real hard time understanding the unintended consequences of throwing money at a problem.
While I can't speak for the country as a whole, one the main reasons - perhaps even THE main reason for tuition increases here in Washington State is the fact that government support of State universities has been falling for decades now - with a corresponding rise in cost onto the students. Last election it was a big issue here - with both the Democratic and GOP candidiate recognizing that fact and pledging to reverse the trend and begin increasing state funding of education.

I DO think that you do have a point in that universities have not had much reason to contain costs because the thought was that "students could simply get more student loans" - and that DOES enter into the picture, but HERE at least it seems that a bigger impact has to do with the diminishing state support for education.

Ken

Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
How long will it take after the Bush tax breaks will run out, to have a higher unemployed rate....?

I believe in January/Feb. we will see the rate go up, right now it is Holiday jobs that are created every year around Thanskgiving and the Holidays...thereafter it will go down hill.

Many big companies will be open on Thanksgiving which to me sounds like they need the money to make up for an expected bad years ending. (Walmart, Target, Sears, etc.)

Unfortunately many people I have spoken to are all doing the same...saving up for times coming.

We don't want these companies to do bad, but with kids in school (Grad school and one going to College next year) and no postive outlook on a job in the near future we will need to prepare for the bad years that are in front of us!

US postal will have lay offs, even mcDonalds was for the first time in 9 years doing worse, Best Buy is on the verge of going out of business, etc...

But we will see how the Dem. vote will work out and the Dem. will support Obama all the way down the cliff! Don't start whining and complaining about needing help because we all know how in Europe people give less to charities due to the higher tax rates and peple feel that the government will have to do it since the people who pay higher taxes also want to enjoy some of the money left...in France they have to pay 75% in tax so how much do you think they will giveon top of that to charity...

As soon as your precious GOP teabagger House drives the economy into recession over this ridiculous Fiscal cliff they've erected. unemployment will spike, consumer confidence will crash and the double dip recession the GOP hardcores have desired for the past four years will become a reality.

And then in 2014 will come the housecleaning that will make the Pubs a minority party for a long time.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As soon as your precious GOP teabagger House drives the economy into recession over this ridiculous Fiscal cliff they've erected. unemployment will spike, consumer confidence will crash and the double dip recession the GOP hardcores have desired for the past four years will become a reality.

And then in 2014 will come the housecleaning that will make the Pubs a minority party for a long time.
Obama could prevent the fiscal cliff, you know it -- he can do more than take $4 million vacations and act like a celebrity pop star on the Letterman show. Where's his leadership?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
While I can't speak for the country as a whole, one the main reasons - perhaps even THE main reason for tuition increases here in Washington State is the fact that government support of State universities has been falling for decades now - with a corresponding rise in cost onto the students. Last election it was a big issue here - with both the Democratic and GOP candidiate recognizing that fact and pledging to reverse the trend and begin increasing state funding of education.

I DO think that you do have a point in that universities have not had much reason to contain costs because the thought was that "students could simply get more student loans" - and that DOES enter into the picture, but HERE at least it seems that a bigger impact has to do with the diminishing state support for education.

Ken
The primary reason state funding of post-secondary schooling seems to be falling is because there are more schools and students to support than before. During all this time of per student decreased funding we have seen a massive increase in participation, whether at the vocational school level or the doctorate level. Let say it costs $10,000 per year to send someone to a post-secondary institution, it is cheaper to fully fund 200 people ($2,000,000) than fund 2000 people at the 50% level ($10,000,000). By demanding that everyone go to college, getting rid of high school vocational programs, and cheapening our high school diplomas, we have created an unneeded financial burden for both the individuals and the government. We have almost managed to extend our perception of the age at which a person should be a self-supporting full-fledge adult by a few years, I'm guessing 26 will soon become the new 21.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Unemployment rates will likely go down when Obama lets the country drop off the fiscal cliff because all those over 2 million people getting long-term unemployment will drop off the unemployment rolls and no longer be counted.

Really it's too bad that hasn't happened before Christmas since businesses like Amazon and UPS and the stores are begging for help but they don't want to give up their big easy free government money and take those jobs.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,658,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hm. So, evidently, wanting America to go through a financial collapse and ruin is patriotic, now?

Funny, I thought that was more treasonous than patriotic...

In any case, I would have loved it if Bush Jr. had managed to carry all the prosperity through and backed it up with something real. I don't care what party member is in office, so long as they make a strong economy.

Supply side economics do not work. They see us into recessions and depressions. I will never vote for a candidate who espouses supply-side/trickle-down economics, ever. The American public is done being fooled by this gibberish, too; that's why Romney lost, and Obama won.
Raise the cost of goods, and drop the value of the US dollar, causing the price of commodities to rise is a good idea?

You know alot of the raise in fuel prices, has nothing to do with the supply, but how the dollar got devalued as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

The house, the senate, and the president all erected the fiscal cliff. They all signed off on it, they all own it, not just the house. I've been hearing noise about giving in and increasing the tax rates for the upper income folks. Where are the spending cuts? Compromise means BOTH sides have to give up and give in some, not just one.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The house, the senate, and the president all erected the fiscal cliff. They all signed off on it, they all own it, not just the house. I've been hearing noise about giving in on the tax rates for the upper income folks. Where are the spending cuts? Compromise means BOTH sides have to give up and give in some, not just one.
Never in history prior to Obama has there been any big political kerfuffle over raising the debt ceiling.

It's entirely another "hate Obama" creation of the GOP. It's 100% their baby. I'll watch with great interest to see how it mutates and devours its parents.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,417,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The house, the senate, and the president all erected the fiscal cliff. They all signed off on it. I've been hearing noise about giving in on the tax rates for the upper income folks. Where are the spending cuts?
What I can't figure out is, if going back to the Clinton tax rates is somehow magically supposed to bring back the Clinton economic performance, why wouldn't we want 100% of us going back to those nice, productive tax rates? Why only 2% of us?

The fiscal cliff will have a lot more people helping to row the boat--millions more coming back on the tax rolls, virtually everyone pitching in more to contribute to "the only thing we all do together:" government.

The fiscal cliff with the rollback of all tax cuts is an honest way to let America know the cost of the agenda they voted for in the last two presidential elections--instead of passing the bill down to our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies