Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
we did nothing for our country....tell that to my friends who were killed in action defending your right to be an IDIOT!
But its new liberal America where old white guys did nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,451 times
I don't post in this forum very often because I don't like the nonsense but the GOP's problem is definitely all the angry right wingers like those seen in this forum.

When a party is perceived as being a haven of angry radicals Americans tend to reject them, at least in presidential elections. For a long time it was the Democrats who wore that mantle. Nixon's silent majority weren't right wing true believers, they were people who wanted the divisiveness of the '60s to come to an end. Reagan also won because of similar perceptions. From 1968 to 1988 the Democrats only won one presidential election and that lone victory was the result of Watergate. Now that the shoe is on the other foot the angry white guys will keep the GOP out of the white house until they can reboot with a new identity. It will probably take the passing of a generation.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Beats me. It seems likely that although there are plenty of angry white guys (judging by this forum at least), there are relatively more minorities, women, younger voters who are not yet angry, college and higher educated voters, and metro voters. So, in relative terms the angry white guy vote is shrinking. Unfortunately, not many people really want to "caucus" with the guys who have spent most of the least few decades talking about how much they can't stand the lazy, stupid, effeminate, irrational, elitist, communist, morally-bankrupt folks in the rest of society. Talk radio is a smash success because angry white guys love that endless "We're right! You suck!" narrative. Closemindedness is not appealing.

From our perspective, it is kind of good that they cluster together, because they are loud, belligerent, and seemingly incapable of embracing new perspectives on science, policy,economics,etc. They seek complete dominance. Witness all the discussion about "real conservatives" in the GOP. Unless you think just like the Glenn Beck wing, you are no longer welcome. They have chosen to become increasingly irrelevant. They have created their own private Idaho, where they can shout themselves hoarse. Fine with me.
Hey...not all of us white guys are angry! In fact, some of us are quite happy with the election and Obama's second term.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,143 times
I think its a mistake to imagine that it'll all be ok if the "Latino problem" is fixed. That assumes the next election will be this one over again. The GOP has to stop the slide in more voter groups, not just patch the one that made the difference this time.

The GOP lost the under-30s. They'll be the under-34s next time, and the under-38s the time after that. They lost the women. Keep sliding in women, the majority of the electorate, and everyone born after 1982, and getting the over-30 male Lations onboard isn't going to be enough.

The GOP has been compensating for its narroving demographics by working up the remaining base, to get a greater percentage out voting. Thats required a more and more confrontationals and apocalyptic rethoric, to the point where moderates are starting to stay home. And energizing the aging base by trying for refights on cultural battles fifty years in the past. That seems increasingly creepy to voters whose parents were born after Roe vs. Wade.

Most of the older Republican voters would be creeped out by a party trying to refight the cultural battles that were settled before their parents were born, but don't realize that the voters of today feel exactly the same way.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
The GOP lost the under-30s. They'll be the under-34s next time, and the under-38s the time after that. They lost the women. Keep sliding in women, the majority of the electorate, and everyone born after 1982, and getting the over-30 male Lations onboard isn't going to be enough.
The Republicans always lose the under 30's. As those under 30's get older they get more conservative. The Republicans alway lose the women too, except in near landslide elections. They always win the men to balance it. The latino vote is the only thing changing.

In 2004 GW Bush lost the womens vote, lost the under 30 vote and lost the latino vote, but by a mere 9%, Romney lost it by 40%. Bush was "soft" on immigration.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you agree?
Yes, yes, another right-wing party in the mix bleeding off votes from each other. The more the merrier - let's have it !!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Deport republican they have nothing to offer

The stupidity here as astronomical. The more I read from you libs the crazier it gets. Who let your kindergarten class in here?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Am I the only entertained watching wjtwet's sarcasm flying right over the head of his fellow travelers?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think if we look at 2008 verus 2012 we see alot of angry voters who think theyhad no interest i votig for either really.just loat number qaulifed not votig ober time show just how fewer and fewer see their vote as havig any inflkuence ocerall. Its a larger problem where peopel do not see governamnt representig them and not supporting those who giovern. decisions. We clearly see iit support for the recent healthcare law. Governing demands the support of the gvern to be effective as always.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The stupidity here as astronomical. The more I read from you libs the crazier it gets. Who let your kindergarten class in here?
The poster you replied to is republican
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies