Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you agree?
No. Modififying a stance on important issues for "minorites" isn't going to work, they must practice what they preach too, and I'll find that will be difficult for them to do, in only 4 years. It usually takes generations to practice tolerance, which the GOP has not been doing. They just won't be able to right the ship in time for the next election, it might take longer due to the stubborness and old fashioned ways, some might never change, like mc connell and a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Republicans always lose the under 30's. As those under 30's get older they get more conservative.
Reagan won them, most of today's middle aged conservatives were conservative from the get go. My first election was in 1988, there were a lot of teenage right wingers in my generation. The Millenials are the most liberal group of young people this country has ever produced. Even if they get more conservative as they age they will still be pretty liberal compared to previous generations.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM

344 posts, read 396,236 times
I have heard that in order to win the Republican nomination, a hopeful candidate has to appeal to the widest base on the Republican party. Unfortunately, to win the general election that same candidate has to appeal to independents (like me). That is a difficult prospect for a candidate who was forced to appeal to the Tea Party, and other rather staunch conservatives. It was a Catch-22, and at both the national level, and in my case personally, the Republican Party failed.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Am I the only entertained watching wjtwet's sarcasm flying right over the head of his fellow travelers?
Nope! Seems to be quite common.

I, for one, will keep my mouth closed on this topic. If the GOP can't figure out what went wrong and if GOP supporters, particularly those who are so far to the right that they are in danger of falling off the cliff, look for fault in anyone but themselves, then I will certainly not give them any pointers to rectify their dilemma.

I am looking forward to more extreme right-wing rhetoric and the inevitable cry for an even more "conservative" GOP with the rather predictable outcomes. Sounds good to me - they deserve what they get.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Amazing how it is OK to stereotype white guys. How liberal we are.
Yes, ^ why are Democrats allowed to denigrate and stereotype "white guys" but not angry black or Hispanic guys??? I am an Independent, but am constantly amazed at the double standards and deep hypocrisy that Democrats have fallen into on so many levels.

And BTW there are just as many angry white liberal talk radio and cable tv hosts as there are angry conservatives.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Republicans have the Latino community scared to death of the GOP, so Obama didn't need to pander to them. GOP delivered them to Obama on a silver platter.

What is it about the GOP that they don't understand about Latinos? They are pro-life, pro-family values, pro-hard work, pro-christian, anti-gay etc, so they should be easy pickings for the GOP, but all the GOP does is drive them away with their "deport, deport, deport" rhetoric.

Obama actually deported more Latinos in 4 years than Bush in eight, and still won them over. Think about that. The Lationos accept the fact that criminals will be thrown out, but it is that GOP anti-Latino attitude which is the turn-off.
What are they afraid of? There are more legal hispanics than illegals ones and the hispanics I talk too want the illegals gone too because of crime, over crowded schools, competition for jobs, wages are not going up..too much cheap labor....

Obama did nothing for the illegals despite a promise that he made to do so. That should have cost him big time but it did not. So the main reason for picking up more hispanics is Obama is the "sugar daddy" that keeps on giving....

GOP has many hispanic political leaders so they are not anti-hispanic. But the GOP does not push welfare programs which apparently is what the hispanics want from them.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Reagan won them, most of today's middle aged conservatives were conservative from the get go. My first election was in 1988, there were a lot of teenage right wingers in my generation. The Millenials are the most liberal group of young people this country has ever produced. Even if they get more conservative as they age they will still be pretty liberal compared to previous generations.
In 52-48 elections the young and female vote will always go to the Democrats. Yes, in landslide elections, such as "84, The Republican may take those demographic groups. I don't think the young today are anymore fiscally liberal than past generations.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
I sure hope history is repeating itself because we do have 'The Negro Problem' as the article states as well as a illegal 'Mexican Problem'.
Actually we have a entitlement problem of whites who feel superior to everyone else, that's gonna draw most people of color away from you and you can't exactly kill is all off in terms of freedom so you're stuck with us. You really don't want another ww3 which will happen of you **** countries off. As much as white brotherhood exist in America the world knows America's dirty secrets you don't exactly have a gang of friends.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
No. Modififying a stance on important issues for "minorites" isn't going to work, they must practice what they preach too, and I'll find that will be difficult for them to do, in only 4 years. It usually takes generations to practice tolerance, which the GOP has not been doing. They just won't be able to right the ship in time for the next election, it might take longer due to the stubborness and old fashioned ways, some might never change, like mc connell and a few others.
Intolerance is deep-seated in the conservative reptile brain. Based on fear, it may be there for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I have heard that in order to win the Republican nomination, a hopeful candidate has to appeal to the widest base on the Republican party. Unfortunately, to win the general election that same candidate has to appeal to independents (like me). That is a difficult prospect for a candidate who was forced to appeal to the Tea Party, and other rather staunch conservatives. It was a Catch-22, and at both the national level, and in my case personally, the Republican Party failed.
At last, a bit of objectivity. Thanks for that. Please stop and realize what the republican party has become over three decades and the role of the tea party/Wall Street connection.. You touched on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yes, ^ why are Democrats allowed to denigrate and stereotype "white guys" but not angry black or Hispanic guys??? I am an Independent, but am constantly amazed at the double standards and deep hypocrisy that Democrats have fallen into on so many levels.

And BTW there are just as many angry white liberal talk radio and cable tv hosts as there are angry conservatives.
Most independents are just late-voting republicans who are appalled at things like democratic "deep hypocrisy" or democratic anything else. You will like democrats better if they become more republican.
Independents are as "fair and balanced" as "independent" Fox, but it sounds objective to others to "be" independent. If you want to see overwhelming hypocrisy, you must turn Right.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It is something that cannot be faked. I was always in awe watching how comfortable W truly was with diverse audiences. Few in his party who are white share that trait. WHY? Many white Dems are comfortable in diverse situations.

During college, I lived in a mostly minority neighborhood. (I am a middle aged white , suburbanite male). I was not the least bit uncomfortable than, nor would I be now, in the same neighborhhood. At Christmas, I'll no doubt go there for a 1/2 day.)

Several of my neighbors now are members of minority groups. Not uncomfortable in the least around them (other than the fact they know I am a rabid, anti UT fan!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies