Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This piece, although clearly written by a bit of a smart.ss, has a decent explanation of some of the reasons that poverty is a hard habit to break.

The 5 Stupidest Habits You Develop Growing Up Poor | Cracked.com

If nobody trains you to take opportunity when offered, if the mindset isn't there - it's the rare person who can overcome that. Just like I suspect I'd have a hard time developing a "very wealthy" mindset if the lottery dropped $50 mill in my lap. (Not that I play, but...)
Thank you for the link. A cute little piece that took me back thirty years.

The problem is that so many people can't remember what poverty was. They can't fathom not having "stuff". It reminds me of the time my son came to me (he was probably 7 or so). Our microwave went out. The child was in a panic. I told him it would be okay, there was a time, and at that time it wasn't that long ago) that there wasn't anything in existence as a microwave. His reply, "How did you cook?" He had never lived in a time without microwaves, color TV or cable. He was appalled at the thought that his mother had been born in a house with no indoor plumbing nor running water. (We had an old cold water pump in the kitchen sink). He couldn't fathom a rotary dial phone, nor gasp, the crank phone and party lines. So while part of this guys "theory" that the poor perpetuate the bad habits again and again may be true. I think so many people THINK they're poor when they're actually not. They may not have as much as someone else in the way of stuff, but its only because they've never actually had to live in a world without that stuff being around. Food, housing, clothing... if you can provide those three essentials to your family your not poor. The truly poor are the ones who can't provide those three...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
We already destroyed this nonsense months ago--but I'm seeing the same old drivel once again--people aren't really poor or in poverty unless their licking fungus off the walls and wiping their asses with dirt.

Please. Nobody here knows how these people obtained their wonderful "luxuries" like a refrigerator, washer\dryers, or entertainment devices. You can buy a VCR for $5 friggen dollars, an Xbox for $100--and for all you know, these things could have been purchased before people fell into poor-hood in the first place.

Keep hatin', Conservatives, it's worked brilliantly for you so far.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
We already destroyed this nonsense months ago--but I'm seeing the same old drivel once again--people aren't really poor or in poverty unless their licking fungus off the walls and wiping their asses with dirt.

Please. Nobody here knows how these people obtained their wonderful "luxuries" like a refrigerator, washer\dryers, or entertainment devices. You can buy a VCR for $5 friggen dollars, an Xbox for $100--and for all you know, these things could have been purchased before people fell into poor-hood in the first place.

The question should be, when someone falls into "poor-hood" as you put it, what happens next? Do you sell the X-box for 50 to feed your family for the week, or do you go out and buy the game to put in it?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

I'm thinking you don't know what poor means.
$100 (for an X Box) is a very very big expense for the truely poor and those riding the thin line of it.
Hell...spending $5 takes a lot of consideration for those scrimping.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The question should be, when someone falls into "poor-hood" as you put it, what happens next? Do you sell the X-box for 50 to feed your family for the week, or do you go out and buy the game to put in it?
If your paycheck can feed your family, you don't need to sell material possessions necessarily to do so--but since you ask...

Almost Half of All Americans Can't Generate $2,000 in 30 Days | TIME.com

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
$100 (for an X Box) is a very very big expense for the truely poor and those riding the thin line of it.
I defer you back to--you don't know where those "luxuries" came from to begin with. In case you haven't noticed, our economy fell into a hole a few years ago--and many more people fell into poverty along with it--including middle class families.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.X View Post
"For decades, the U.S. Census Bureau has reported that over 30 million Americans were living in “poverty,” but the bureau’s definition of poverty differs widely from that held by most Americans. In fact, other government surveys show that most of the persons whom the government defines as “in poverty” are not poor in any ordinary sense of the term. The overwhelming majority of the poor have air conditioning, cable TV, and a host of other modern amenities. They are well housed, have an adequate and reasonably steady supply of food, and have met their other basic needs, including medical care. Some poor Americans do experience significant hardships, including temporary food shortages or inadequate housing, but these individuals are a minority within the overall poverty population."

Attachment 103609

Attachment 103610
What is your point?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Exactly! Choices. We all know that the truly poor have no options. Those that are truly the most needy need help, and we conservatives (at least all the ones I know) are more than happy to oblige. But if someone tells me they are in need, yet they put their personal wants ahead of their needs... well...

Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I always find the amusement of people who don't actually know any poor people, yet are bonafied experts on how luxurious they have it :-P. All of the poor friends I have don't have that many of modern amenities, most have bare bones cell phones, most have no cable, and quite a few have no air conditioning.

I believe that there are 2 types of poor people.

1. people that are poor and need some help and just cant get by without some help.

2. the 2nd class of poor people are those that scam the system, they believe that the goverment owes them something because they have not learned how to close their legs and now have 15 kids by 11 different dads or moms. they think the gov owes them everything because they have not figured out how to make a living even though they could have gotten a free education but quit at age 14 to have their 2nd child.

this type of poor person can go out and suck an egg.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
You can't compare poor in America with poor in Haiti.
You also shouldn't compare poor in NYC with poor in small rural southern cities.

Everyone has "stuff". We're a consumer economy for crying out loud.
A lot of the poor don't have new stuff; they have all that stuff that others throw out every 3 years because they need the latest and greatest, not because it broke.

But what you see is not the whole story. So many are living paycheck to paycheck and that includes those not considered poor.
As a nation we've been convinced that it's good to buy stuff with our extra money, not to save it and invest it for the future or a rainy day.

A government is a reflection of it's people. Look at the state of the government. Its people are in that same state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies