Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Slamming the poor worked out really good for you guys in the last election, hope you keep up the campaign in 2016

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well....that may be true in urban areas...but I have been to people's homes, who have no air conditioning, or cable, no cell phones, real poverty. It does exist.

Usually these are older folks. Minorities. Sadly, mostly WW II veterans.

I have been to homes on Indian Reservations that were true poverty.

So....we are not talking about the section 8 scammers....who have under the table income and parents who give them money. Or have kids with men, don't get married...but get money from the men who are working, and living part time with them.

I have pretty much seen the gamut of poverty in our country....and black folks in the south are the ones, who seem the poorest to me. The ones on Social Security.
Very true, I have as well. I also see people who are poor, living on food stamps but who's relatives swing the kids an xbox or gameboy because they know they can't buy it. A lot of these things are given by relatives trying to help out the kids but don't want to actually give money to the parents because of other reasons like addictions, or fear they won't ever go to work again if they do. I know people who have grandma that buys the kids a computer and internet service or cel for school when the parents can't afford it.

So at times they have no electric but still have a game system in the house or a computer. It's not usually as it appears though.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM

225 posts, read 369,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's not easy to find houses that were built without AC or with no cable running to it.
I can name many in New York City. I can also tell you that many unfortunate people do not live in brand new homes. You can find a lot of homes without air condition and no cable running to it.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Slamming the poor worked out really good for you guys in the last election, hope you keep up the campaign in 2016

Not slamming them -- just admiring how much they have.

X-boxes, air conditioning, cable television, cell phones, nice cars, grocery carts heaped with brand name food -- yes, they sure do have a lot to be grateful for.

I wonder what it's like to live with air conditioning and cable - although from what I've seen, no thanks.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
I can name many in New York City. I can also tell you that many unfortunate people do not live in brand new homes. You can find a lot of homes without air condition and no cable running to it.
Not down here, but I suppose you are right about houses further north.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It would be silly to think any one in New York would need air-condioning, it never gets warm there.

Check the poverty regions in the south and you'll find most have air conditioners -- but you can very easily live with a window fan or ceiling fan at least in the Southwest.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Default I bet they have linen shirts, too.

Adam Smith, the guy who pretty much defined capitalism, on relative poverty:

"'A linen shirt, for example, is, strictly speaking, not a necessary of life. The Greeks and Romans lived, I suppose, very comfortably, though they had no linen. But in the present times, through the greater part of Europe, a creditable day-labourer would be ashamed to appear in public without a linen shirt, the want of which would be supposed to denote that disgraceful degree of poverty, which, it is presumed, nobody can well fall into without extreme bad conduct."

Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM

225 posts, read 369,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It would be silly to think any one in New York would need air-conditioning, it never gets warm there.

Check the poverty regions in the south and you'll find most have air conditioners -- but you can very easily live with a window fan or ceiling fan at least in the Southwest.
Have you ever been to New York in the Summer. Do you remember the Northeast Blackout. New Yorkers need air condition like everyone else.

I am from the South. I know exactly how people live and act. I do plenty of community service near my campus. Many people do not have air condition units or systems installed in their homes. Most of their homes were built in the early 1900's with out any renovations. The most they probably have is a air condition unit sitting out their window or a ****load of fans circulating.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to New York in the Summer. Do you remember the Northeast Blackout. New Yorkers need air condition like everyone else.

I am from the South. I know exactly how people live and act. I do plenty of community service near my campus. Many people do not have air condition units or systems installed in their homes. Most of their homes were built in the early 1900's with out any renovations. The most they probably have is a air condition unit sitting out their window or a ****load of fans circulating.
I grew up in the Midwest --- never had an air conditioner but did have a heater. In the northern regions, you do not need air conditioners or how do you think people lived a hundred years ago or even 30 years ago?

You really don't need air conditioners anywhere. I live where it gets over 100 very often in the summer and survive very well without an air conditioner -- in fact I don't like them -- we have them at work.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not slamming them -- just admiring how much they have.

X-boxes, air conditioning, cable television, cell phones, nice cars, grocery carts heaped with brand name food -- yes, they sure do have a lot to be grateful for.

I wonder what it's like to live with air conditioning and cable - although from what I've seen, no thanks.
What freakin BS. I have been in a rural area outside of Winterhaven Florida where the freakin houses had no doors or windows. I have seen entire areas of South Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Philly, Atlanta, Chattanoga, Little Rock and many, many other places where I would hate to see a dog living yet alone PEOPLE. I have seen many families living in Rest areas, Walmart parking lots, Crappy campers on the back of junkers, ETC, ETC.
There are millions of such people in the USA. Do you think you can deny their very existence by claiming they don't exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies