Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 PM

724 posts, read 594,706 times

Advertisements

From the article:

"Deals cut with the states over the past two decades diverted $5.5 billion from public purposes to private gain, the report says. Close to $700 million more was diverted last year, Good Jobs First estimates."

Apparently, many large companies, including Ford, Nissan, General Electric and many more foreign and domestic companies are using a scheme in which 16 states have allowed them to collect state income tax from their employees and then pocket that money. Of course, they didn't mention that to their employees. It keeps politicians and companies from having to admit to the subsidies. So with all the uproar about entilements, why aren't republicans incensed about things like this? This is corperate welfare at its best. What's next, Tom Joad buying bacon at the company store?

Taxed by the boss | David Cay Johnston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,121,714 times
...pulls up a chair.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
...pulls up a chair.
Yes it's riveting, ridiculous, and outrageous, but it is a completely underreported story.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Texas doesn't have a state income tax so I have no comment there.

Ohio goes back to 1992. Twenty years and no one complained. I guess few if any know.

Guys..corporate welfare is done by both sides. We need to come to terms with this already.
While the Repubs are more vocal about their support, the Dems are no less guilty; they just don't say it out loud.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas doesn't have a state income tax so I have no comment there.

Ohio goes back to 1992. Twenty years and no one complained. I guess few if any know.

Guys..corporate welfare is done by both sides. We need to come to terms with this already.
While the Repubs are more vocal about their support, the Dems are no less guilty; they just don't say it out loud.
I agree texan, this is a bipartisan robbery.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM

38,171 posts, read 22,271,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
From the article:

"Deals cut with the states over the past two decades diverted $5.5 billion from public purposes to private gain, the report says. Close to $700 million more was diverted last year, Good Jobs First estimates."

Apparently, many large companies, including Ford, Nissan, General Electric and many more foreign and domestic companies are using a scheme in which 16 states have allowed them to collect state income tax from their employees and then pocket that money. Of course, they didn't mention that to their employees. It keeps politicians and companies from having to admit to the subsidies. So with all the uproar about entilements, why aren't republicans incensed about things like this? This is corperate welfare at its best. What's next, Tom Joad buying bacon at the company store?

Taxed by the boss | David Cay Johnston
Welcome to the TEA party. Glad to see more people are getting upset by the way government screws the taxpayers over, by telling us we need to pay more in taxes, while their political and corporate cronies get to pocket our hard earned tax dollars.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,457,824 times
Don't you get it, these people have made it big and are true American success stories. They deserve every bit of government money beyond the billions that they legitimately earn, you're a communist and you hate the rich if you don't agree.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM

29,869 posts, read 25,002,140 times
Exactly why many of us true conservatives feel the republican party does not represent the interests of the average working class American. If anything, they have been cheerleaders for the wealthiest of Americans and the corporate machine, willing to throw the common citizen under the bus without remorse. America can't afford to maintain a system to prevent seniors from winding up homeless and on the street, but apparently we have no problem providing billions in corporate welfare. Our education system and our basic infrastructure continues to rot, yet you don't hear Republicans complaining about that. If it wasn't essentially a vote for a democrat, who is the greater of the two evils, I would vote 3rd party every election. It's pretty sad that in America, we have only two choices, and they are both equally despicable.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,033,824 times
The big thing around here is sales tax rebates to companies that generate big retail sales revenue.

If CARMAX wants to come to town and promises to bring hundreds of thousands of dollars of "new" sales tax revenue dollars, they're likely to be able to negotiate a nice piece of the sales tax action for themselves. If they're offering to move the CARMAX from a nearby town, they can often negotiate an even larger piece.....or even extort a piece from their currently municipality just by threatening to leave.

If you're a little used car dealer, however, selling a handful of third-hand beaters for a few thousand bucks a piece and you go to the city council and say "I want to expand my lot and expect to increase my sales, (and therefore tax revenues), by about 50%. Can I have a rebate of part of the additional taxes I generate for the next 5 years to help finance the improvement?" you'll get told "get out of here, pissant!"

Things are rally stacked against the small retail business as it is, this secret "corporate welfare" that almost always goes to the "big guys" really pi$$es me off.

This issue of corporate welfare is one of the few where the far right and far left are in agreement, and are opposed to the Establishment of both parties.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,972,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Welcome to the TEA party. Glad to see more people are getting upset by the way government screws the taxpayers over, by telling us we need to pay more in taxes, while their political and corporate cronies get to pocket our hard earned tax dollars.
The Financial Terrorists in this country at the top are quite ruthless and criminal and have done so much damage to this country that they make an Al Queda Terrorist blush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies