Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is ok to eat then?
Chick-Fil-A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 04:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
sooooo he should eat processed sodium heavy canned food?? It's not like he's buying Heinekens and Marlboros with his benefits-- and he only qualifies for a certain amount. If he chooses to spend it on FOOD, what is the problem?
It's like talking to a wall.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM with him finding a job, or multiple jobs and paying for that rabbit on his OWN?!

My God liberals make me sick.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM with him finding a job, or multiple jobs and paying for that rabbit on his OWN?!

He's a blogster. He wants to do what HE wants. So it doesn't bring in that much money but there's food stamps to cover that. Plus his job gives him plenty of free time to hang out with his friends.
You gonna deny him his pleasures ?

This generation is not like past who went to work 9-5 and saved and paid his way through life.

God help the country though when these people turn 65 and have no retirement.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He's a blogster. He wants to do what HE wants. So it doesn't bring in that much money but there's food stamps to cover that. Plus his job gives him plenty of free time to hang out with his friends.
You gonna deny him his pleasures ?

This generation is not like past who went to work 9-5 and saved and paid his way through life.

God help the country though when these people turn 65 and have no retirement.
I think about that quite often actually. I'm only 36 and I have a long time before I retire, but I've done pretty well with my retirement savings...every time I look at it I cant help but think that some politician is going to want to tax my saved money after they realize that taxing the rich didn't solve anything. I cant help but wonder who my hard work and saving will benefit other than myself.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Read this and puke.

“I have $80 bucks left!†Magida said. “I’m so happy!â€
“I have $12,†Mak said with a frown.
The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.
Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.
“I’m eating better than I ever have before,†she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.â€
Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.
“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,†he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.â€

Hipsters on food stamps - Salon.com
I read this and yawned.

Anyone who can do basic math, and sadly, many can't, could figure out that a >$7 PER DAY food allowance leaves little for extravagances.

Sweet potatoes and rabbit meat aren't very expensive, and tarragon can be easily grown.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

You act as though finding a good paying job is as easy as opening a can of tuna. It ain't. Keep frothing. Getting angry because someone eats rabbit (not exactly lobster) and potatoes off of food stamps is laughable. But this plays perfectly into your imaginary world of stereotyped characters, where Fox News tells only the truth and Romney still leads in the polls.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The problem with this is that it would take a HUGE amount of expensive work to classify every single food product available in this country as acceptable/unacceptable, and to ensure that retailers comply. There's no way is system could exist without flaws, too. Imagine you're poor and incredibly busy and you're at a store and are trying to juggle between different fruits that are approved or disapproved by the FDA, and then you get to the checkout counter and you can't buy rice because someone at the store screwed up the database.
No... instead of issueing money at the begining of the month, issue a month supply of rice and beans and canned vegetables(low sodium of course) From somewhere like the post office.

He has every RIGHT to buy his own food of his own choice. When the government buys it for him... he shoudl get this.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It is odd how illegals manage to find jobs yet college educated hipsters sit around eating rabbits that others pay for.
It really is possible that they went out and "hunted" for the rabbits, just like some people "hunt" squirrels and eat them. The other ingredients would have come from food stamp purchases.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
No... instead of issueing money at the begining of the month, issue a month supply of rice and beans and canned vegetables(low sodium of course) From somewhere like the post office.

He has every RIGHT to buy his own food of his own choice. When the government buys it for him... he shoudl get this.
THAT would be far more expensive than the amount allowed on food stamps. An entire new bureaucracy would have to be created for such a program! Your suggestion is just ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I think about that quite often actually. I'm only 36 and I have a long time before I retire, but I've done pretty well with my retirement savings...every time I look at it I cant help but think that some politician is going to want to tax my saved money after they realize that taxing the rich didn't solve anything. I cant help but wonder who my hard work and saving will benefit other than myself.
Could be your relatives if you die before retirement age. You have no guarantee that you will live long enough to retire, none of us do. So just save and don't worry about who may "get your money" and you may just live longer and enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies