Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Yep!
Jobs report: More people went on disability than got jobs in June « Hot Air

From article:
"More workers joined the federal government’s disability program in June than got new jobs, according to two new government reports, a clear indicator of how bleak the nation’s jobs picture is after three full years of economic recovery.
The economy created just 80,000 jobs in June, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday. But that same month, 85,000 workers left the workforce entirely to enroll in the Social Security Disability Insurance program, according to the Social Security Administration.
As Investors Business Daily further notes, that isn’t the exception in the Obama recovery, but the rule:
The disability ranks have outpaced job growth throughout President Obama’s economic recovery. While the economy has created 2.6 million jobs since June 2009, fully 3.1 million workers signed up for disability benefits.
I discussed this with economist John Lott, co-author of the book Debacle: Obama’s War on Jobs and Growth, and What We Can Do Now to Regain Our Future, along with Grover Norquist. Lott explains that as people run out of jobless benefits after the two-year cycle, they look to transfer to a more permanent subsidy. These people have given up hope of finding any kind of work in the future, and probably for good reason; two years without a job makes skill sets erode, and creates anxiety among employers who are definitely in a buyer’s market in terms of labor needs. John explains further why this report is most certainly not a “step in the right direction,” and explains why American unemployment is now actually worse than in Europe:"

Just make them get those jobs and get off welfare!!

Let's see, what does the truth telling government say the unemployment rate is now?

Not the almost 25% that it really is.
Are you under the impression that people simply sign up for SSDI? I can assure you it's a very long process of application during which at least two physicians have to certify a person's disability. It's not like "Oh I think I'll waltz over to Social Security and get some disability money." I've known homeless people in wheelchairs who couldn't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies