Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times

Advertisements

I think instead of lengthening the POTUS's term, we should put restrictions on the length of campaigns.

Honestly I think we'd be better off under a parliamentary system but that's just me. I think the way our government is structured is dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,575,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't think most of those who think like that understand...They don't seem to understand
One of the textbook symptoms schizophrenic paranoia is that no one else seems to understand what appears to you to be an obvious truth.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM

753 posts, read 728,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder where you get some of those ideas you post about. Do you have any idea who determines the terms for governors? It seems that you don't understand that the United States government is based on what the Constitution says and that states all have their own constitutions to run their governments by.

How in hell do you think the federal government has anything to do with governors terms in office?
I'm fully aware of all of that.

My post was obviously tongue in cheek.

But since you missed it, completely, let me spell it out for you. My use of the words "optimal" and "clearly" mocked the idea that there is any ideal Presidential term. The fact that I selected primes for the first three offices -- and primes which don't even share a common multiple more than once every 105 years -- parodied the idea of jiggering term lengths in general, with absurdity Finally, the completely over-the-top suggestion that gubernatorial lengths not even be rounded to an even year, and instead gave us an election every single month, mocked the modern 'perpetual campaign'. The "perpetuity" at the end further mocked the idea that there is some sort of perfect term length for any office.

I hope I was able to clear up what should have been perfectly clear to you to begin with.

Last edited by Mictlantecuhtli; 12-07-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
our system of election cycles was designed to create gridlock at the federal level. the founding fathers did not want a king, or other long term head of the executive branch, thus the four year term for president. the founding fathers also figured that those elected to the house of representatives would spend a few terms in office, then go back to their lives in the private sector as the house was not designed to be a long term political career. in the senate it was designed for long term political careers at the whim of the states, not the people.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think instead of lengthening the POTUS's term, we should put restrictions on the length of campaigns.
I agree. I think there should be a three month primary cycle (maybe six months if we're feeling generous), immediately followed by a 90 days presidential campaign cycle right before the election.

There should also be taxes on all political donations, but that's a separate topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies