Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we go over the fiscal cliff?
I lean conservative, and I say we should. 55 56.12%
I lean conservative, and I say we should not, even if it means Obama gets the credit. 8 8.16%
I lean liberal, and I say we should. 24 24.49%
I lean liberal, and we should not, even if Obama doesn't get everything he wants. 11 11.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times

Advertisements

I say congress should do nothing. But that also means, no extension on the debt ceiling, no extension on many social programs, farm programs, unemployment and cuts in defense spending. Then let the screaming begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM

46,263 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Well, maybe, but not if you compare to the past.

Interesting article linked below if I did it right on this phone:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/us...er=rss&emc=rss
Not sure how you can compare 1970 with today. Hell, I think most would agree to pay more, if a gallon of milk only cost .50 cents....or a gallon of gas for .50 cents....

In the end, it's a spending problem....you cannot borrow .40 cents of every dollar to pay for someone.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wow, we do pay....and pay plenty....no matter if you are a D or R. There is a reason why we have a deficit, and that reason is not because of me or you.
Actually 47% (or is up to 50% now) of all employees pay no income tax. It wasn't anything like this as recent as the Clinton era or in most of the world for that matter.

To help lower our out of control deficit we need a combination of revenue increases from everyone (not just the rich) and real spending cuts. Politicians would never do this, they want to be liked. But going off fiscal cliff would go a long way towards solving the debt crisis. It could in fact be our only chance.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I hope depression is something that you enjoy.

But your views are typical of those on the right -- willingness to destroy the country unless you get what you want. It's characteristic of a complete lack of ability to govern.

depression?

guess what? politicians have been afraid to call it for what it is, they keep saying recession, when in fact it has always been a depression.

dont equate me with the right side of the aisle, as they are just as bad as the left side. both sides only want to tax and spend or borrow and spend. if we could get both of you out of goverment, we could actually get something done in goverment. instead, we are stuck with only what the 2 sides want, and nothing else.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
It seems that the fiscal cliff is the only way to get any kind of cuts in spending -- otherwise Obama is refusing to compromise and will only impose more taxes. So to get the very necessary spending cuts, it may be best to just let the fiscal cliff happen.

Too bad we don't have any kind of leadership in the White House, just a very bull headed -- it's my way or the highway big tax and spender.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Conservative...I say go over the cliff. We've kicked the can down the road enough. Time to start addressing these budget deficits.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Okay, the poll is there, but you forgot the category: I'm neither liberal nor conservative; I think they've both destroyed the country. So let's now sleep in the bed we've made.
You lean conservative Chris, or else I wouldn't agree with you most of the time. Libertarians are conservative, because they don't spend money with reckless abandon and no accountability.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Chances are if a mother and father cannot afford to buy groceries, then they aren't making income at the relevant brackets to be affected by these tax increases, save for a 2% payroll increase.
Everybody will be affected by tax increases, including those of us on social security.

If you really want to hurt the rich, take 10% of their net worth. That would include their foundations. Corps are people now, so take 10% from them too.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You lean conservative Chris, or else I wouldn't agree with you most of the time. Libertarians are conservative, because they don't spend money with reckless abandon and no accountability.
Damn straight! It's about time the progressives start doing the math. You can't squeeze endlessly and expect good things to happen. Now Obama see's a mandate to squeeze everyone. Just as predicted he waited 10 days to literally double down. He is going after 250k, instead of millionaires. He want's $1.6T instead of $800B in new taxes. He want's to increase spending $60B a year, instead of cutting spending.

A monster has been created.

As for this poll: It looks like we all (80%+) agree, that no matter what our political stance, we should go over the cliff.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If you've ever lived in a country where massive civil unrest exist, you probably wouldn't say that. Bodies in the street and all that unpleasantness. The US is divided almost 50/50 and the differences are partisan and absolute. Frankly, we as a nation are on a hair trigger at this point in our history. Running off the fiscal cliff would be lighting the fuse and pouring gasoline on the fire. Nobody should wish chaos and anarchy on their nation. For whatever reason. Remember, as we go, so goes the world.
So we just kick it to the next generation, and the generation after that. We created this mess, we should fix it, instead of passing the debt forward. Let em torch downtown and riot, it won't do them any good, but the costs of bail and fines could help us out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies