Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we go over the fiscal cliff?
I lean conservative, and I say we should. 55 56.12%
I lean conservative, and I say we should not, even if it means Obama gets the credit. 8 8.16%
I lean liberal, and I say we should. 24 24.49%
I lean liberal, and we should not, even if Obama doesn't get everything he wants. 11 11.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Yes. This country is often described as "An experiment in Democracy". The public has spoken, lets do as the Dems want. Let the across-the-board tax cuts of the Bush administration expire. Dems have been insisting that this would increase revenue with no other impacts for 10 years, lets give it a try. If they are right, good. If not, we'll put the idea that increasing taxes gurantees more revenue to bed once and for all.

Fortunately, I have enough socked away to get by for a few years, when and if the economy tanks. Others may not be so lucky...but it will give them a first hand look at what the policies of the Democratic party do for them.

Based on the current poll results, I find it interesting just how many self proclaimed liberals want to be saved from Obama's policies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yes. This country is often described as "An experiment in Democracy". The public has spoken, lets do as the Dems want. Let the across-the-board tax cuts of the Bush administration expire. Dems have been insisting that this would increase revenue with no other impacts for 10 years, lets give it a try. If they are right, good. If not, we'll put the idea that increasing taxes gurantees more revenue to bed once and for all.

Fortunately, I have enough socked away to get by for a few years, when and if the economy tanks. Others may not be so lucky...but it will give them a first hand look at what the policies of the Democratic party do for them.

Based on the current poll results, I find it interesting just how many self proclaimed liberals want to be saved from Obama's policies...
Democrats have never advocated for an across the board tax increase. They have always stated their desire to make the tax cuts for the middle class permanent. They only want to let the Bush tax cut expire for the upper 2%. Where have you been all this time?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM

126 posts, read 89,817 times
Yes. Let it happen.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Brian Beutler of Talking Points Memo calls it the “austerity bomb,†which is a much better term than “fiscal cliffâ€.

The cliff stuff makes people imagine that it’s a problem of excessive deficits when it’s actually about the risk that the deficit will be too small; also and relatedly, the fiscal cliff stuff enables a bait and switch in which people say “so, this means that we need to enact Bowles-Simpson and raise the retirement age!†which have nothing at all to do with it.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Democrats have never advocated for an across the board tax increase. They have always stated their desire to make the tax cuts for the middle class permanent. They only want to let the Bush tax cut expire for the upper 2%. Where have you been all this time?
Unfortunately that is now how it works....everyone will have a tax increase....all income levels. Then we all will also suffer the Obamacare tax...and if you are going to inherit more than a million dollars the tax on that will be 55%. Oh...the unemployment extension will go away as well. I do not care what your politics are....with state of the economy the way it currently is...if the tax cuts are not extended...I think the majority of middle class as well as those on fixed incomes and low incomes will be hurting worse than any of us can remember.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Democrats wailed about the BTC for years, about how they cut revenue and drove up the deficit. Well, guess what...the bulk of the BTC went to the poor and middle class. Simply punishing the top 2% of earners will not bring in enough revenue to make any kind of dent in the deficit. It's simply a chance to punish success. The top 2% can simply leave the country and take their cash with them...which again hurts everyone...but it plays fine if your goal is class warfare.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Democrats wailed about the BTC for years, about how they cut revenue and drove up the deficit. Well, guess what...the bulk of the BTC went to the poor and middle class. Simply punishing the top 2% of earners will not bring in enough revenue to make any kind of dent in the deficit. It's simply a chance to punish success. The top 2% can simply leave the country and take their cash with them...which again hurts everyone...but it plays fine if your goal is class warfare.
The "one legged stool" concept of deficit reduction was never an option. Democrats have never proposed the 2% tax increase as the only form of deficit reduction. They have conceded that spending cuts and entitlement reform are very critical components of any fiscal reform. where have you been?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Unfortunately that is now how it works....everyone will have a tax increase....all income levels. Then we all will also suffer the Obamacare tax...and if you are going to inherit more than a million dollars the tax on that will be 55%. Oh...the unemployment extension will go away as well. I do not care what your politics are....with state of the economy the way it currently is...if the tax cuts are not extended...I think the majority of middle class as well as those on fixed incomes and low incomes will be hurting worse than any of us can remember.
Only if we do nothing and republican obstructionism prevails.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Poll: Should we simply go over the fiscal cliff?
Uh, you might want to bring yourself up to speed.

You already went over the fiscal cliff.

Now you have to decide if you want to free-fall 10,000 feet onto steel spikes, or if you want to smack into every ledge on the cliff and then land on steel spikes.

Have fun with that.

Simplified....

Mircea

Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
The "one legged stool" concept of deficit reduction was never an option. Democrats have never proposed the 2% tax increase as the only form of deficit reduction. They have conceded that spending cuts and entitlement reform are very critical components of any fiscal reform. where have you been?
Except...where exactly are the CUTS that you are talking about? Every spending estimate I have seen based on Obama's proposals show spending INCREASES every year. Every year. Increasing spending 1/2 trillion a year instead of 1 trillion a year is not a cut. Please, show me an Obama proposal that has a year to year reduction in spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies