Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
You need to pay attention to what is going on.
Yeah, thanks again - I've been meaning to get around to that.

Quote:
In addition to downsizing work force of those many businesses a little over 50 employees the very large businesses are laying off thousands to cut down employee numbers which they will not be able to afford for several reasons imposed by BO and his EPA, green agenda, etc., etc.
Excellent - well, as I was saying, anytime you want to provide the reliable figures to prove that the number of layoffs has reached 0.1% of the national workforce, do let me know.

Quote:
How do I know? One of my good friends was given her pink slip the morning after the election as were several hundred of her fellow workers and told it was DIRECTLY because of OBama Care. Since the election...only about 10 days...thousands of pink slips have been handed out.
Yes, well, by "reliable figures" I was thinking along the lines of something a bit more definitive than what someone told your good friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
They are not laying off huge numbers of employees. The ruling came out in Sept. We would have seen that in the BLS reports. What we have seen in the BLS reports is a huge number of p/t hirings instead..582,000 in the last report.

There's not mass layoffs happening. They are hiring more people and giving them less hours.
That is what is happening in general. And the BLS reports substantiate that over mass layoffs.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Your missing the fact that huge numbers of "small" business are employing 50 or more employees. They are already both laying off and dropping status to "part time" to get away from BOCare mandate. In addition, every single person in the US is "REQUIRED" to have health insurance. If you cannot afford it then the government subsidizes...oh, goody...the rest of us will pay for that in our own insurance premiums. That's just the beginning. If you don't pay IRS comes after you by first deducting what is owed from any refund you might be owed from over payment of your withholding and if that isn't enough IRS can come after your pay check and your assets.

This 1) horrifying legislation, 2) unconstitutional legislation and 3) BO plan to start destroying America is probably the worst legislation every imposed on this country. All of you who voted for this totally unqualified and very dangerous Barak Obama will see the huge mistake you make when it all hits you right between the eyes. We have stepped this country back into a dumbed-down population I just hope we can get rid of BO in time to save our beautiful America.
No, they are not. 5.8 million businesses out of 6 million have less than 50 employees.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gQRcljvCU59hVw

Quote:
The law specifically exempts all firms that have fewer
than 50 employees – 96 percent of all firms in the United
States
or 5.8 million out of 6 million total firms – from
any employer responsibility requirements. These 5.8
million firms employ nearly 34 million workers. More
than 96 percent of firms with 50 or more employees
already offer health insurance to their workers. Less
than 0.2 percent of all firms (about 10,000 out of 6
million) may face employer responsibility requirements.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, they are not. 5.8 million businesses out of 6 million have less than 50 employees.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gQRcljvCU59hVw
But how did the IRS ruling in Sept affect those stats ?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But how did the IRS ruling in Sept affect those stats ?
I don't know. But, even if it affects 10% more businesses, you still have 86% that are not affected.

I'd be interested to see how much difference it actually makes outside the restaurant and big retail chain businesses.

ETA regardless, my response to the poster who thinks that "huge numbers" of small businesses have more than 50 employees still stands.

Obviously that is not the case at all.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 11-16-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
So, you're a reasonable person who makes an effort to be informed, and your guiding principle is "government can almost never do anything good". Well, ok-dokey.
There is so much evidence to prove my point but you must think about this with an open mind. And when you are married to one of the 2 major political parties your mind is never completely open. I know, I use to worship one of the major political parties.

But if you truly believe government can run a business better than someone who has to be concerned about making a profit you have a lot to learn.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What we have seen in the BLS reports is a huge number of p/t hirings instead..582,000 in the last report.

And PT jobs increased by 483,000 in Sept. 2011 and 579,000 in Sept. 2010 - the latest figures show nothing more than the usual seasonal increase, not a great shift by employers toward PT work to avoid ACA insurance penalties.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
There is so much evidence to prove my point but you must think about this with an open mind.
How does that work exactly? You've posited a maxim: government doesn't do good. There's no evidence or rational argument for me to ponder here, no intricate Aristotelian logic, just the maxim. As far as I can tell, the only choices for me are to accept your maxim without question or reservation, or reject it as unsubstantiated opinion. Can you guess which way I'm leaning?

Quote:
But if you truly believe government can run a business better than someone who has to be concerned about making a profit you have a lot to learn.
Just as a demonstration, let me offer you a counter-argument based, in this case, on an historical analogy. Most of India was governed for about a century from the 1760s to the 1850s by the Honourable East India Company, a profit-driven enterprise. By the late 18th century, it's administration was a notorious scandal, and call for reform was vociferous. But it wasn't until the disastrous mismanagement of this business drove their own soldiers to mutiny in 1857 that public opinion and the resolve of British politicians was sufficiently strong. Thereafter, for about another century, the British government took charge of the administration of India: an Indian Civil Service was instituted for the country, where entrance and promotion was based on merit and performance review, with no profit motive involved. For about another century, the men of the ICS governed India about as efficiently and well as such an enormous and complicated country possibly could be governed, and certainly as well or better than India ever has been since.

The point of this story, of course, is that your maxim is wrong: government, in and of itself, is not always inept, and often is a far better solution to the problems of administration than the profit motive.

Last edited by squarian; 11-16-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Your missing the fact that huge numbers of "small" business are employing 50 or more employees. They are already both laying off and dropping status to "part time" to get away from BOCare mandate. In addition, every single person in the US is "REQUIRED" to have health insurance. If you cannot afford it then the government subsidizes...oh, goody...the rest of us will pay for that in our own insurance premiums. That's just the beginning. If you don't pay IRS comes after you by first deducting what is owed from any refund you might be owed from over payment of your withholding and if that isn't enough IRS can come after your pay check and your assets.

This 1) horrifying legislation, 2) unconstitutional legislation and 3) BO plan to start destroying America is probably the worst legislation every imposed on this country. All of you who voted for this totally unqualified and very dangerous Barak Obama will see the huge mistake you make when it all hits you right between the eyes. We have stepped this country back into a dumbed-down population I just hope we can get rid of BO in time to save our beautiful America.

You forget the fact the there was ALWAYS a mandate that businesses with 50+ employees provide HC insurance. This is nothing new.

And for the rest of your rant, 1. It is NOT horrifying. What is horrifying is people with no insurance showing up in the emergency room in record numbers--who do you think pays for these uninsured now? 2. It is NOT unconstitutional as per the recent SCOTUS ruling, and 3. Hogwash.

The "mandate" for business with 50+ FTEs is that they provide AFFORDABLE HC insurance, dependent on a percentage of the employee's wage. Click on the link and learn about it before you run screaming into the night.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't know. But, even if it affects 10% more businesses, you still have 86% that are not affected.

I'd be interested to see how much difference it actually makes outside the restaurant and big retail chain businesses.

ETA regardless, my response to the poster who thinks that "huge numbers" of small businesses have more than 50 employees still stands.

Obviously that is not the case at all.
Well you have other service companies..like lawncare, pool care, house cleaning, etc. run as a tiered small business.
Owner and then crews consisting of both full and part time workers.

Each business can't be lumped into one general description as they can be set up in various ways.
And each business will look over it's finances and do what is best for the business in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies