Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,463,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how many leaners have seen the displays the atheists put up right next to Christian ones in Santa Monica. They were nothing but aimed at mocking and there is a real difference.
Mocking is protected under free speech. You referring to people as leaners is also protected, so you should feel fairly treated.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,312,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I read the link. Here's the summary I posted and you ignored.

And I guess you failed to see that the spots were picked lottery style.

Do you have a problem with this?

Again, what is your problem with this? Do you have a problem with free speech now?

"Organized atheism" has been around at least since the 1500's, probably alot longer, depending on what you consider "organized".
I don't have a problem with free speech but I do think that many of you leaners do when the wrong people attempt to use it. Since you read the link so closely, did you notice what Mr. Vix said about "Under God" in our pledge of allegiance? Didn't that come about very near the time that the city of Santa Monica started what had become a tradition? Did the city request that Vix and his friends go to the beach to see the displays they are against?

I did see your summary but didn't think that there was any reason to comment since most of your leaner friends may have learned a lot about what they didn't read from you. Thanks for telling us what you saw and how you interpreted it all.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 PM

58 posts, read 53,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Someone should do a fake Ken Burns-style documentary on this fake "War on Christmas."

Like have a grizzled old actor voicing an haggard soldier recanting the battles of the war:

"The first casualties in this infernal war were when they took down the nativity scene at the town square--but things didn't get really bad until we marched into a Target and saw a sign saying "Happy Holidays" instead "Merry Christmas". It was only mid-November but a lot of good men didn't return from that Target superstore with tinsel or cheap Chinese-made ornaments as their shame at losing the battle was too great. War truly is hell..."
"Dearest Martha, I write to you on the eve of the final push through the mall Santa brigade. Confound this war and that damnable General Bill O'Reilly! I know not whether I shall return in time to join the multifaith coalition in banning our town's Holiday Tree as an affront to Arboreal-Americans...."

Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,060,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how many leaners have seen the displays the atheists put up right next to Christian ones in Santa Monica. They were nothing but aimed at mocking and there is a real difference.
This leaner nonsense is getting old and tired. "Leaner" could also be used to describe conservatives...which from now on is how I will refer to conservatives.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM

58 posts, read 53,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nobody cares about the War on Chanukah except me.
First they came for Christmas, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a Christian
Then they came for Ramadan, and I did not speak out because I wasn't Muslim
Then they came for Diwali, and I did not speak out because I wasn't Hindu.
Then they came for Chanukah, and there was no one left to speak for me.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
This leaner nonsense is getting old and tired. "Leaner" could also be used to describe conservatives...which from now on is how I will refer to conservatives.
If the left are 'leaners', then following logic the right should be called 'fatters'.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
That's all the guy in this story wanted, was to publicly display his beliefs just like Christians do.
It probably wouldn't be a problem if he were actually displaying his beliefs, but it sounds like he was actually displaying his antagonism toward other peoples' beliefs.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If Christians can put on their display, I don't see why they object to atheists doing the same. But I can certainly understand why the city of Santa Monica doesn't want to play referee to this:

"Damon Vix didn’t have to go to court to push Christmas out of the city of Santa Monica. He just joined the festivities. The atheist’s anti-God message alongside a life-sized nativity display in a park overlooking the beach ignited a debate that burned brighter than any Christmas candle. Santa Monica officials snuffed the city’s holiday tradition this year rather than referee the religious rumble, prompting churches that have set up a 14-scene Christian diorama for decades to sue over freedom of speech violations. Their attorney will ask a federal judge Monday to resurrect the depiction of Jesus’ birth, while the city aims to eject the case."
Atheists’ move halts Christmas tradition in Santa Monica, churches go to court to get it back - The Washington Post

Pictures of last year's displays here: Atheist's protest of holiday decorations forces Santa Monica to cancel Christmas | Mail Online
Its just a sign of intolerance of others beleifs really. Can you imagine if a few did not want cancer month and decided to display anti-cancer treatment signs sayig ;Let the die;we can't afford the cost to treat cancer;there are too many people as it is.It just leads to more conflict, California seems to be the land of conflict and intloerance more and more.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It probably wouldn't be a problem if he were actually displaying his beliefs, but it sounds like he was actually displaying his antagonism toward other peoples' beliefs.
The opposite of belief is not another belief, it is absence of belief. Comparing Jesus to the Easter bunny and the like is not antagonism - it is pointing out that faith in Christianity is no different than Greek mythology or lignadoratism. It's all based on belief in something that isn't there, or cannot be proven.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,124,537 times
Perhaps I didn't understand the article completely, but, I didn't see anything terribly wrong with what this attention-seeker was doing. I hate the "Oh, no. I see a nativity scene on public property. I am outraged!!" people, but this guy put his beliefs on display legally. Even the Christian group that put the Nativity up said that. Now, the defacement wasn't warranted whether you agreed with it or not. It's a shame.

If I am Santa Monica, I say that you guys can do this again this year, but if there is any more vandalism, we will see about cancelling it going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies