Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's the exact same today. People are STILL overly concerned about what the neighbors would think. Now it's the opposite though. Being Christian isn't "cool", so you've got folks that are afraid to say who they are, which is sad. The culture we live in glorifies a life that is full of things that specifically go against the Bible's teachings. We're raising our kids with this garbage, so unless they're incredibly strong minded, they'll just go with the flow to look cool. This sex and drugs culture, mainly attributed to the growth of television, has taken us onto a track that will not end well.
People were saying the exact same things as this ^^^ in the 1950's and 60's.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Who was saying that *everything* was wonderful then?

Now list the negatives for the post-1950s decade.
And what "drug epidemic" in the '50s?
Try keeping up, that is the whole premise of the thread.

Post war always leads to an increase in addicts. Veterans hooked on drugs tend to spread their habits.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-25-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
^This.

I think this is the point some of us are trying to convey to those who think EVERYTHING was wonderful in the 50s. Some of the things you mentioned, we have it now. War, the threat of terrorism(of course in the 50s it wasn't called that), and a very divided society.

It wasn't good for everyone. It was good for those who perceived themselves to be on top.
The point isn't that things were worse in the 1950's, or any other era, it is that ppl that wish for the good old dayz are only "remembering" an idealized world, the "Father Knows Best" past of their youth. That world didn't exist, it was an image the media propaganda machine pumped out to the middle class to mask over reality and to give the ramble something to strive for. Marketing of the American dream.

Another show from that period, Bachelor Father, gives a glimpse of the realities of the 1950's. In the credit opening we see the cast members, John Forsythe as the Father, a daughter, a Chinese butler, and a big fluffy dog. The series title is put up and the John Forsythe's name and face is highlighted. While the faces of the rest of the cast are shown their names aren't. The producers only give an opening credit to the white male lead and none for the woman or the Chinese man.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-25-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The point isn't that things were worse in the 1950's, or any other era, it is that ppl that wish for the good old dayz are only "remembering" an idealized world, the "Father Knows Best" past of their youth. That world didn't exist, it was an image the media propaganda machine pumped out to the middle class to mask over reality and to give the ramble something to strive for. Marketing of the American dream.

Another show from that period, Bachelor Father, gives a glimpse of the realities of the 1950's. In the credit opening we see the cast members, John Forsythe as the Father, a daughter, a Chinese butler, and a big fluffy dog. The series title is put up and the John Forsythe's name and face is highlighted. While the faces of the rest of the cast are shown their names aren't. The producers only give an opening credit to the white male lead and none for the woman or the Chinese man.
Interesting. And think about all the old TV shows about single (widowed, of course) fathers: My Three Sons, Bonanza, etc.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really? Then explain what the restrictive covenants were about. Last time I checked, Blacks weren't allowed to live in certain parts of the city.

And something else. You might want to read the biography of playwright August Wilson: August Wilson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was born and raised in Pittsburgh. When he lived in the Hazelwood neighborhood, he experienced racial hostility, as a Black man. Bricks were thrown at his home, and he and his family eventually had to leave. When he attended a Catholic school in 1959, he faced hostility there as well.
I realize there were struggles for black people, but this thread is not about that, and as a white guy, you have to give me the benefit of the doubt, since I did not live a black persons life and cannot imagine what it may have been like. The thread is about how things used to be and how families spent time together, played together, worked together, etc. Maybe I am referring to the way white folks used to behave family wise, I have no clue as to how black families behaved as I was not raised in a black family. I was just a kid and was not concerned about other families, only my own and only knew how I was raised. Maybe you could start a thread about the struggles of the black family in the 50's, then maybe us white folks would have a better understanding. Until you do, don't take our happy memories away from us because you had it rough, most of us had no clue, we were just kids. BTW, I was born and raised in Pittburgh. ----

August Wilson Center for African American Culture

Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 AM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Don't forget that those raising children in the 1950s had grown up during the depression years, a grim time, and then had experienced a devastating world war. I think those two factors strongly influenced the lifestyle of the 1950s and the importance of family.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I realize there were struggles for black people, but this thread is not about that, and as a white guy, you have to give me the benefit of the doubt, since I did not live a black persons life and cannot imagine what it may have been like. The thread is about how things used to be and how families spent time together, played together, worked together, etc. Maybe I am referring to the way white folks used to behave family wise, I have no clue as to how black families behaved as I was not raised in a black family. I was just a kid and was not concerned about other families, only my own and only knew how I was raised. Maybe you could start a thread about the struggles of the black family in the 50's, then maybe us white folks would have a better understanding. Until you do, don't take our happy memories away from us because you had it rough, most of us had no clue, we were just kids. BTW, I was born and raised in Pittburgh. ----

Dude, it isn't just about the realities of blacks, it is the realities of middle America. I was second oldest of six kids, a family of eight. We lived in a semi rural outer belt suburb and my father was THE beardwinner, working in a metal forming plant. One day, while my dad worked piece work on his punch press, a tiny piece of scrap dropped onto the next blank. Not wanting to ruin a blank my dad brushed the piece of scrap off the blank. At the same time he triggered the machine with his foot and three and a half of his fingers disappeared.

Working piece work instead of hourly so he could earn more for his family. Working without "optional" safety harnesses becuz they slowed him down. Stepping on the trigger becuz his body and mind were conditioned to do so. In that moment we went from a middle class family striving for that dream, to a dirty poor family with next to nothing. I was forced to work, paper routes, when I was very young. I'm not sure what workers comp finally paid us, but we never had anything.

We were lucky, in that we held the home, managing to pay the morgage every month. But things like clothes and food were often secondary.

It took years for my dad to get back to gainful employment, surgeries, skin grafts, phantom pain (he still "feels" his whole hand), learning a new trade, learning to be left handed.

The whole problem with these ppl dwelling in the past is the aren't dealing with the realities of the time.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Dude, it isn't just about the realities of blacks, it is the realities of middle America. I was second oldest of six kids, a family of eight. We lived in a semi rural outer belt suburb and my father was THE beardwinner, working in a metal forming plant. One day, while my dad worked piece work on his punch press, a tiny piece of scrap dropped onto the next blank. Not wanting to ruin a blank my dad brushed the piece of scrap off the blank. At the same time he triggered the machine with his foot and three and a half of his fingers disappeared.

Working piece work instead of hourly so he could earn more for his family. Working without "optional" safety harnesses becuz they slowed him down. Stepping on the trigger becuz his body and mind were conditioned to do so. In that moment we went from a middle class family striving for that dream, to a dirty poor family with next to nothing. I was forced to work, paper routes, when I was very young. I'm not sure what workers comp finally paid us, but we never had anything.

We were lucky, in that we held the home, managing to pay the morgage every month. But things like clothes and food were often secondary.

It took years for my dad to get back to gainful employment, surgeries, skin grafts, phantom pain (he still "feels" his whole hand), learning a new trade, learning to be left handed.

The whole problem with these ppl dwelling in the past is the aren't dealing with the realities of the time.
I know the realities of that time, I think some here may be reminiscing a bit.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM

73,001 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:

Maybe you weren't worried, but the point was, I was stating historical facts. I wasn't born in the 1950s, nor did I live during that time. However, being Black, I know what limitations would have been put on me in those days.

And I know you're from Pittsburgh. "Steeler Nation" was a dead giveaway.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 AM

73,001 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
I know the realities of that time, I think some here may be reminiscing a bit.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies