Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps not. However, I look at it this way. I have to think about how I would have fared in those days. I can't separate the 50s from what my life would have been like in those days, because I know it would be different. I can and do pray before partaking in my meals, and I know people who do this. I have to think about my life and what it would have been like. I can have that Norman Rockwell image that you're speaking of in my home in this era.
Understandable, but again, I think the OP was refering to more the idealistic items of those times. I hardly think that he was referring to Jim Crow, nuclear threats or only having three TV channels. I think others knew that, but attempted to throw in the idea that he wanted to take everything back to the 1950's, knowing that it wasn't his intention.By doing so, I think it was the only way anyone could rationally disagree with him. Without it, there wasn't much of an argument.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,852 times
I don't believe the o.p.wanted the post to turn into a race based post. Heck I miss the special atmosphere and family times around thanksgiving and Christmas from the 60's and 70's.

Family and friends really enjoyed each other, we laughed at the family drunk, the argueing married couples and delighted in that special feeling in the air.

Stores closed (if you forgot a recipe ingredient you were out of luck, go to the neighbors), people spoke to one another on the street.

I get the o.p. although television never really was based on reality.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
You should post the same comment to the post to which I replied. That poster cited specific incidents which happened in 1955, I responded with specific incidents which occurred in 2000.

My point is that no race (or other group) has an exclusive claim to "victim status."

Also, I don't think that works of fiction such as Mississippi Burning should be included in this debate.
Mississippi Burning isn't a work of fiction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississ...orkers_murders

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-24-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I don't believe the o.p.wanted the post to turn into a race based post. Heck I miss the special atmosphere and family times around thanksgiving and Christmas from the 60's and 70's.

Family and friends really enjoyed each other, we laughed at the family drunk, the argueing married couples and delighted in that special feeling in the air.

Stores closed (if you forgot a recipe ingredient you were out of luck, go to the neighbors), people spoke to one another on the street.

I get the o.p. although television never really was based on reality.
This gets more to a larger point: The loss of community. There was a book written in the 90s called "Bowling Alone" that dealt with this. Many of us, including me, are particularly guilty of this as we peck away at our keyboards, spending hours on the internet. That has undoubtedly changed over time.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
This gets more to a larger point: The loss of community. There was a book written in the 90s called "Bowling Alone" that dealt with this. Many of us, including me, are particularly guilty of this as we peck away at our keyboards, spending hours on the internet. That has undoubtedly changed over time.
Yeah, you're right, but you know I see a good amount of backlash starting against that. Go to any coffee shop and you'll see people sitting there on their laptops and whatnot, because I think people are craving that contact even while they sit at their computers.

There's also a movement called co working which is taking off here in Philly - you rent a desk at a shared office space for a cheap rate per month, go in a couple of times a week - people could stay at home and work, but they find they need the community atmosphere of working with others.

I think that people are realizing that sitting at home by themselves is not all it's cracked up to be.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really? Maybe in some areas of the south, but not where I come from, in fact this did not happen in most of the country.We as white folks were not woried about what the average black guy was or wasn't doing, we were busy raising families and working.
Really? Then explain what the restrictive covenants were about. Last time I checked, Blacks weren't allowed to live in certain parts of the city.

And something else. You might want to read the biography of playwright August Wilson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Wilson

He was born and raised in Pittsburgh. When he lived in the Hazelwood neighborhood, he experienced racial hostility, as a Black man. Bricks were thrown at his home, and he and his family eventually had to leave. When he attended a Catholic school in 1959, he faced hostility there as well.

Last edited by green_mariner; 11-24-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Understandable, but again, I think the OP was refering to more the idealistic items of those times. I hardly think that he was referring to Jim Crow, nuclear threats or only having three TV channels. I think others knew that, but attempted to throw in the idea that he wanted to take everything back to the 1950's, knowing that it wasn't his intention.By doing so, I think it was the only way anyone could rationally disagree with him. Without it, there wasn't much of an argument.
He might not have been trying to make a reference to Jim Crow. However, when I think of the 50s, that is mostly what comes to mind, for me anyway.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I feel badly for my children that have never built a tree house, built a go cart from scrap or just spent all day playing jump rope or freeze tag.

I'm guilty as a parent in the way I have tried to provide so much more materialistically and moving into upscale neighborhoods where people tend not to speak.

Many of my neighbors would look at me like I was crazy if I suggested a night of spades and bid whist, bring the kids and let them run around and bar b q in the back yard.

One thing about growing up poor, we didn't live for appearances and trying to impress the Jones.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I feel badly for my children that have never built a tree house, built a go cart from scrap or just spent all day playing jump rope or freeze tag.

I'm guilty as a parent in the way I have tried to provide so much more materialistically and moving into upscale neighborhoods where people tend not to speak.

Many of my neighbors would look at me like I was crazy if I suggested a night of spades and bid whist, bring the kids and let them run around and bar b q in the back yard.

One thing about growing up poor, we didn't live for appearances and trying to impress the Jones.
All of this, I think this is more what happens when children are not encouraged to be active.

On the other hand, it is important to never lose touch with reality.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The KKK is still the same organization with the same goals, but now it's just a bunch of old men in the backwoods. Now the Neo-Nazis are to be feared. They're younger, more violent, and don't care if they live or die.
Sounds more like the young black militants that plague most of our major cities, who are responsible for hundreds, if not thousands, of murders each year.

Don't worry, the boogey man neo-nazis kill maybe a person or two a year, so they should definitely be more feared.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-24-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies