Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times

Advertisements

to the op:

Food and Healthcare are absolutely NOT a right. They both require the labor and expertice of someone providing them....therefore they can not be a "right." You however do have the right to provide them for yourself and your loved ones if you are fit to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I remember in Romney's infamous 47% comments he spoke with disgust about those who thought they had a "right to health care... and food"

I think these are a right. Do you?
I do not. Unless you are growing your own food, you don't have a right to someone elses work, or product being sold to earn a living.

I do not think healthcare is a right, someone had to go through school and pay for it, to become a doctor. You are NOT entitled to their work for free.

I also don't think you are entitled to someone elses hard earned living to provide these things to you. It is up to you to earn a living, and buy your own food, and pay for your own care

Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
to the op:

Food and Healthcare are absolutely NOT a right. They both require the labor and expertice of someone providing them....therefore they can not be a "right." You however do have the right to provide them for yourself and your loved ones if you are fit to do so.
Our freedom of speech came at great cost in labor, lives and the expertise of many soldiers in generations before ours. According to your logic, freedom of speech is not a right.

Second question: What if you are not fit to do so?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
To that I must say BS.

Sorry, but wanting to fund your life, in part, or whole, with OPM is one of the central planks of liberalsim.
Nope. Wanting to provide a safety net for the less fortunate members of our society is one of the central tenets of liberalism. YOU are the ones who reword it to "want the government to be mommy, daddy and rich uncle" because it sounds so much worse and gives you convenient cover for the right's social Darwinism. It probably helps you sleep at night.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
So I suppose you have no problem if I come to your house and take your food, your furniture your (insert whatever you may have here) because "I" think I am entitled to it?
Since I am poor myself, I would have a problem with that. But Walmart etc. are not, quite to the contrary, they are filthy rich. So I suggest everyone to go and steal food if they are denied a job and are hungry.

There you see the dilemma. If we use that old saying about giving someone fish or teaching someone how to fish, the current situation is that you don't have the right to the fish, nor to the fishing rod, nor to the lake, unless others decide to give you any one of those based on jungle criteria (like, why don't stupid, slow, and unambitious people just go and die?), though we are outside the jungle.

I think everyone should have the right to own arable land without buying it. It should never have been taken away from the people in the first place. If everyone who wants it has arable land, then they can grow their own food and the whole right to this and that question becomes obsolete.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You have a right to...

Life, meaning nobody can deprive you of such.

Liberty, again... that nobody can deprive you of such.

and the Pursuit of Happiness, meaning nobody can restrain your attempts to achieve it.

Not wanting to take sides or get deep into this debate but what if...

Treatment and a cure is readily available yet not given because they can't afford it, is that not depriving someone of their life, having someone's life in your hands? There is a difference between there being no cure or not enough available than there being and choosing not to adminster it to someone.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Since I am poor myself, I would have a problem with that. But Walmart etc. are not, quite to the contrary, they are filthy rich. So I suggest everyone to go and steal food if they are denied a job and are hungry.

There you see the dilemma. If we use that old saying about fishing or teaching someone how to fish, the current situation is that you don't have the right to the fish, nor to the fishing rod, nor to the lake, unless others decide to give you any one of those based on jungle criteria (like, why don't stupid, slow, and unambitious people just go and die?), though we are outside the jungle.

I think everyone should have the right to own arable land without buying it. It should never have been taken away from the people in the first place. If everyone who wants it has arable land, then they can grow their own food and the whole right to this and that question becomes obsolete.
Interesting perspective.

Why do people thing that giving a man a fish and teaching him to fish are mutually exclusive?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Just to remind you what you said...

Quote:
I remember in Romney's infamous 47% comments he spoke with disgust about those who thought they had a "right to health care... and food"

I think these are a right. Do you?
Quote:
Hold on dude. You RECEIVED health care. Period. Your right to health care was granted. No one is arguing you have the right to FREE health care.
Yes. I did. Imagine that. We already have access to health care for everyone! Fascinating, that!

Quote:
Are you unemployed/disabled/unable to work and unable to pay the bill? If no, then thank your lucky stars. If so, then that's where government should step in and help. And if you think you deserve it free because some poor person got it for free, then you're welcome to move in to low income housing and live off of foodstamps. With all these RWNJ's telling you how great it is, I'm sure you'll make the switch.
As a matter of fact, I was severely underemployed when I had to go to the doctor, so yes, I did fall in to your little group of people you think have the right to "free" healthcare. I also qualified for food stamps...a nice big chunk of change...so I fight RIGHT in to your qualifications. (No, I did not take the food stamps. I said I qualified for them.)

Remember, you stated...

Quote:
...Further I don't believe basic human rights can be subjugated by government...
And...

Quote:
Are you really saying that food and health care aren't basic human rights? They should only be available to those who have the financial means?
I did not, nor do I now, have the financial means to pay the bill and since you don't believe these rights can be subjugated by the government, that means the money comes directly from the people. And, I think that those who think these are rights should demonstrate that they truly believe it. You can start by paying my medical bill that I cannot afford to pay.

I expect your messages asking for my PayPal account in my inbox any time now...since, hey, according to some of you, I have that right.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Nope. Wanting to provide a safety net for the less fortunate members of our society is one of the central tenets of liberalism. YOU are the ones who reword it to "want the government to be mommy, daddy and rich uncle" because it sounds so much worse and gives you convenient cover for the right's social Darwinism. It probably helps you sleep at night.
"Less fortunate"!!!!!!!!!

Less fortunate, my ass.

Less monitivated, perhaps, but not less fortunate. That's liberal jibber-speak.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As a matter of fact, I was severely underemployed when I had to go to the doctor, so yes, I did fall in to your little group of people you think have the right to "free" healthcare. I also qualified for food stamps...a nice big chunk of change...so I fight RIGHT in to your little group.
Great, then you SHOULD receive help with your medical bills. And if treatment you needed was 250K chemotherapy or transplant surgery-- you MAY NOT have had access.

Of course, you're better than those other severely underemployed folks and those who need services, right? What you receive, you EARNED. You DESERVE. Not those other deadbeats....

I love people who fight against their own interests.

Quote:
I expect your messages asking for my PayPal account in my inbox any time now...since, hey, according to some of you, I have that right.
Government is the means for distributing that sort of aid. You're welcome to inquire if Medicaid will refund via Paypal.

I am perfectly happy to see my tax dollars go towards your medical needs versus killing Iraqi civilians under false pretenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies