Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

I've really never seen such a display of nauseating self-righteous selfishness in my entire life.

I can't people would go to the lengths y'all would to deny that the very items that sustain life are not a right for your fellow man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I've really never seen such a display of nauseating self-righteous selfishness in my entire life.

I can't people would go to the lengths y'all would to deny that the very items that sustain life are not a right for your fellow man.
Where you in The Wizard of Oz, cause you seem to be Mr. Streawman. Nobody is denying you a damn thing. YOu are free to go and purchase whatever you want. I'll sell you some if you want.

Not providing you with something gratis, is not the same, by any stretch, as denyting it.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Ok-- So to be consistent with your values, I assume you employ your own police force and fire department. Did you go to public schools? Do you have your own highway system.

Selfish. Selfish. Selfish.

So this all begs the question, did you ask the original question because you wanted to find out how various people felt about it or did you ask it merely for an opportunity to argue vociferously with anyone and everyone who didn't agree with your stance on it? Given that way back you politicized the issue by denigrating one side of the aisle, making it clear you are in concert with the opposite side, I think your OP was disingenuous from the start.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with you donating everything you have to feed and see to the healthcare needs of others. Of course, that assumes you're not on the receiving end yourself.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:03 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
All of us do not want to see the needy go hungry. You feel it is something that must be forced on us and dictated by the Govt taking our money. Most of us feel it should be done better on the local level.

If it's between feeding others or feeding my family, I take care of my family 1st.

There is no RIGHT to food or health care.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
All of us do not want to see the needy go hungry. You feel it is something that must be forced on us and dictated by the Govt taking our money. Most of us feel it should be done better on the local level.

If it's between feeding others or feeding my family, I take care of my family 1st.

There is no RIGHT to food or health care.
Again, if you don't want to see people go hungry or suffer for lack of health care, why wouldn't you declare it's a right?

Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So this all begs the question, did you ask the original question because you wanted to find out how various people felt about it or did you ask it merely for an opportunity to argue vociferously with anyone and everyone who didn't agree with your stance on it? Given that way back you politicized the issue by denigrating one side of the aisle, making it clear you are in concert with the opposite side, I think your OP was disingenuous from the start.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with you donating everything you have to feed and see to the healthcare needs of others. Of course, that assumes you're not on the receiving end yourself.
Sorry, I was expecting human decency. I am liberal on issues like this, and pretty conservative on others.

For the record I haven't asking you to give anything to anyone anything-- only to agree that people, by virtue of being human, have the right to food and healthcare. I am shocked that so few agree, and to the lengths that some would go to save themselves a buck or two even if it means others starve.

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Again, if you don't want to see people go hungry or suffer for lack of health care, why wouldn't you declare it's a right?
Because it ISN"T. For the record, I don't care if you starve to death.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-23-2012 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: language

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Here is why.

The decline in the poverty rate stabilized and reversed itself.
The U.S. poverty rate was in sharp decline in the early 1960s -- before the Great Society.

- More children were born out of wedlock
% of U.S. Children born out of wedlock. This rate exploded in the mid-1960s.

- The homicide rate doubled
Annual U.S. murders increased sharply from the mid-1960s

- High school graduation rates declined
High school graduation rates reached an all time high shortly before the Great Society initiatives

The results of the Great Society. Gee, at least we meant well.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I don't care if you starve to death.
I rest my case.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-23-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was expecting human decency. I am liberal on issues like this, and pretty conservative on others.

For the record I haven't asking you to give anything to anyone anything-- only to agree that people, by virtue of being human, have the right to food and healthcare. I am shocked that so few agree, and to the lengths that some would go to save themselves a buck or two even if it means others starve.
I will be the first to agree that no one in this country should have to go hungry or do without critically needed medical care. However, I do not agree that government has to necessarily be the answer, nor do I think persons should be put into a governmentally dependent status if it can be avoided. All that accomplishes is to destroy whatever pride and ambition they may have had. Where we live there is considerable poverty but churches and various social groups move mountains to see to the welfare of all and especially the children.

Especially as someone who worked in the political and legislative arena for 20 years, I am always very wary of any move to declare anything beyond what the Constitution currently provides for a right. That establishes a mandate and far too often makes many complacent and the less willing to fend for themselves. The end result is rather than helping them, you have severely limited them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies