Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM

839 posts, read 2,420,982 times

Advertisements

By my definition, assuming the good health and vitality of all family members is intact, being well off means having sufficent cash flow to never worry about money. I don't think having a high net worth is quite the same thing...

So, to put a number on it for me personally, if all debts, mortgages, student loans, etc. were paid off, and a substantial savings accumulated, then a monthly TAKE HOME of $5,000 would be what I consider well off.......

Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,223,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Whats your idea of "well off." Do you envy others who are 'well off"? I don't. I just want to be "well off", too.
Well off = unfortunate financial surprises don't impact cash flow, lifestyle, or create debt. In other words, something like suddenly needing to pay $5000 for a new air conditioner doesn't cause worry or financial strain. All it does is suck.

No I don't envy others who are well off.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,666,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
2 cars, a house I own, 2 acres of land with maybe a pond attached.

Whats your idea of "well off." Do you envy others who are 'well off"? I don't. I just want to be "well off", too.
Assuming you are asking this question in good faith, I'll do my best to answer it here. My SO and I are renting for the time being because we both have to be somewhat mobile with our jobs. We are DINKs, so we don't have to worry about school districts and the like. We plan on buying a house within the next couple of years. Our combined income is over 100K, and we don't have too much debt. That means that we have a lot more disposable income than a lot of people, but we are not rich by any stretch of the imagination. We both save and sock away money into our retirement accounts and personal savings, and, while we go out to eat and enjoy traveling occasionally, we shop at local stores and farmers' markets a lot, and we make our food from scratch. I got that habit from my mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother, who sustained their huge families by maintaining large gardens and by using every possible piece of everything they slaughtered or harvested. When I was little, before I moved on to large urban areas, I learned how to make pickles out of watermelon rinds, (something that most people throw away), I learned how to preserve okra and cabbage, and I learned that arugula is not a dirty word.

With my great-grandmother's and grandmother's spirits watching over me, I moved to big NE centers of food commerce, but I never left their values behind. I sought out makers of local honey, people who make jam in lowly Brooklyn apartments, and growers of rooftop okra. This Thanksgiving season, I consider myself incredibly well off even though I don't have a huge income. I don't envy anyone who is super-rich and who has forgotten where they come from. We would all do well to remember our immigrant roots; none of those people were "well off." I would challenge the OP to define what he or she means by "well off;" it seems that this is a term that is meant to polarize people rather than to make them come together.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,782,214 times
Damn, suddenly im

"well off"

Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,938,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Assuming you are asking this question in good faith, I'll do my best to answer it here. My SO and I are renting for the time being because we both have to be somewhat mobile with our jobs. We are DINKs, so we don't have to worry about school districts and the like. We plan on buying a house within the next couple of years. Our combined income is over 100K, and we don't have too much debt. That means that we have a lot more disposable income than a lot of people, but we are not rich by any stretch of the imagination. We both save and sock away money into our retirement accounts and personal savings, and, while we go out to eat and enjoy traveling occasionally, we shop at local stores and farmers' markets a lot, and we make our food from scratch. I got that habit from my mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother, who sustained their huge families by maintaining large gardens and by using every possible piece of everything they slaughtered or harvested. When I was little, before I moved on to large urban areas, I learned how to make pickles out of watermelon rinds, (something that most people throw away), I learned how to preserve okra and cabbage, and I learned that arugula is not a dirty word.

With my great-grandmother's and grandmother's spirits watching over me, I moved to big NE centers of food commerce, but I never left their values behind. I sought out makers of local honey, people who make jam in lowly Brooklyn apartments, and growers of rooftop okra. This Thanksgiving season, I consider myself incredibly well off even though I don't have a huge income. I don't envy anyone who is super-rich and who has forgotten where they come from. We would all do well to remember our immigrant roots; none of those people were "well off." I would challenge the OP to define what he or she means by "well off;" it seems that this is a term that is meant to polarize people rather than to make them come together.
You don't sound like a diva.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,452,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Because envy is a part of it. You could make $150,000 a year but be hateful and miserable because someone else makes $200,000 a year. You might have a $60,000 new car but be jealous that your neighbor has an $80,000 new car -- so you never feel well off no matter what.

Kind of like all this hate-the-rich class envy that's being stirred up. More and more people now don't want to have to work for anything but instead have the government ream the rich and give everything they have to them.
If you.ve been afflicted with a condition whereby you envy people who have more than you then you going to have a rough ride in life, As for the second part of your post Blah blah blah, same ol righty drivel that just sank your Romney ship, keep it up we'll look forward to a repeat performance in 2016.

Last edited by jambo101; 11-24-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Within 2-3 years, are you capable of being free from the obligations of work for the rest of your life.

Someone who makes 250K certainly is capable of that.

really? so if you make 250k in Staten island, it is the same 250k in the deep south?

I think not somehow.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,666,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You don't sound like a diva.
Thanks, whogo, but in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that while I cook at home a lot and I respect immigrant values, the "diva" part of my handle comes from my love of fashion and shoes, which is where a fair bit of my discretionary income goes. A girl's gotta look good!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,214,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? so if you make 250k in Staten island, it is the same 250k in the deep south?

I think not somehow.
Nice try, but nobody made that claim.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-25-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,837,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Well off = unfortunate financial surprises don't impact cash flow, lifestyle, or create debt. In other words, something like suddenly needing to pay $5000 for a new air conditioner doesn't cause worry or financial strain. All it does is suck.

No I don't envy others who are well off.
I consider anyone with an air conditioner well off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies