Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM

621 posts, read 658,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The poster is clearly talking about growth in lower and middle income groups, not a growth in dependency (or, as you prefer "dependency class"). There is a distinction, I'm not surprised, that alludes you.
The term is wilful ignorance. Choosing to not see the nose on your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
Did no one bother to think through what I had to say? A high top marginal tax rate is good for everyone because it tends to lead to a low total debt % GDP. The top tend to be very good accumulating wealth. That is what makes them the top. But the over accumulation of wealth is bad for everyone. People with a lot of money want to loan it out so they can get back more money later. This blows debt bubbles.

A high top marginal tax rate tends to limit debt bubble blowing.

http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg
I certainly agree and my post explained they become quite an unproductive expense especially with this tax policy which encourages debt fueled asset appreciation. The actual effect is not to recycle wealth into the economy but it allows individuals to drop out and become rentiers which strips the resources from productive use. People stop working and then hire drivers, butlers and nannies while they manage 5 billion year old dirt and money made with pen strokes. The FIRE sector which makes no product is 1/3 of the economy.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How does that mindless drivel disprove in any way the fact that a growing dependent class is taking more and more from the government?
The lack of useful work for them to do is not entirely their fault. put them to work and pay them well enough and they will not be dependant any longer.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
The poster is clearly talking about growth in lower and middle income groups, not a growth in dependency (or, as you prefer "dependency class"). There is a distinction, I'm not surprised, that alludes you.
How is there a distinction? Those classes TAKE the most in government services and benefits. The growth of that class will DEFINITELY cause even more economic hardship in our country.

Quote:
Did you PM WorkingClassHero? He fits your definition of leeches (which you later retracted was only about Food Stamps... before you went back to leeches on taxation, that is).
I retracted nothing. The very definition of a leech is that of a parasite. It TAKES from the host to sustain its own life. WCH doesn't match that definition.

Surprising how uninformed you are.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I certainly agree and my post explained they become quite an unproductive expense especially with this tax policy which encourages debt fueled asset appreciation. The actual effect is not to recycle wealth into the economy but it allows individuals to drop out and become rentiers which strips the resources from productive use. People stop working and then hire drivers, butlers and nannies while they manage 5 billion year old dirt and money made with pen strokes. The FIRE sector which makes no product is 1/3 of the economy.
And now you are required to have health insurance. I want to start self insured collectives for the young that need nothing but catastrophic coverage.

Th Fed is a privet agency. It does have its head chosen by the government but it is privet. It has manipulated the president into telling it to do what it otherwise wants to do. The plunge protection teem and the requirement for wage price stability. This is somewhat different than the tax code. But it blows asset bubble quite nicely.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
How is there a distinction? Those classes TAKE the most in government services and benefits.
If you incease the wages that the bottom earns relative to the rest then they will take less from the government.
Quote:
The growth of that class will DEFINITELY cause even more economic hardship in our country.
OK eliminate that class by overpaying them. does that communicate my position accuratly enough?
Quote:

I retracted nothing. The very definition of a leech is that of a parasite. It TAKES from the host to sustain its own life. WCH doesn't match that definition.
That is a very good definition of the top end. Outsourcing etc.
Quote:

Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
The tax code tends to determine where the growth in income happens. Do you want the dependant class to stop being dependant and to take care of themselves? That sounds really good to me. So abolish the public education system. (that is teaching people to be dependant.)
I can definitely agree with that.
Quote:
Tax the snot out of the top.
That's an exercise in futility. How do we know that? Tax revenue as a percentage of GDP has been relatively flat regardless of fluctuations in marginal tax rates:

Laffer Curve.

Quote:
I have asthma So I don't want to be around a running lawn mower. My Mom was getting old and couldn't start hers without help. When she got a new one I showed her how to prime it so she could start it without asking me to do it. The the weather got cold and I showed her how to preheat it so that she can still start it.

Show the dependant class how to be independent and they will be.
Head start. Work programs. And they aren't working, why?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
How is there a distinction? Those classes TAKE the most in government services and benefits. The growth of that class will DEFINITELY cause even more economic hardship in our country.
Obviously, you have an extreme right wing idea of growth.

Quote:
Romnesia isn't about retraction. It is about marching on.

Quote:
Considering your abilities, that is desperation speak.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
leech
The parasite is the top. it produces nothing and consumes the product of everyone else's production. Then it loans part of that product back to the bottom end instead of paying them to do something useful.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Considering your abilities, that is desperation speak.
You've not been able to refute a single thing I said. Seems you're the one who's desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies