Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Depends on the type of bullets used, and what drugs they may have in their system already. One of the reasons a lot of police officers have stopped carrying 9mm pistols in some jurisdictions. And why a lot more use the "double tap" method of firing.

Not saying that what he did was right, but in the heat of the moment, adrenaline pumping, having had to deal with this again and again... can anyone honestly say that they may not unthinkingly do the same when your body goes on autopilot?

He should absolutely still answer for his crime here. That is part of being a responsible gun owner.
I could see the whole "in the heat of the moment, adrenaline pumping" scenario had he just kept shooting. if the girl had come down the stairs and he'd just shot her several times it wouldn't have been a big deal. I remember being a kid and freaked out over a small snake in my backyard and kept hitting even though it was clear it was dead because I was in panic mode.

But when you stop, wait for someone to fall down the stairs, drag them to another room, and then go sit down like nothing happened I find it hard to believe that you are still in an "adrenaline pumping" moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post

But when you stop, wait for someone to fall down the stairs, drag them to another room, and then go sit down like nothing happened I find it hard to believe that you are still in an "adrenaline pumping" moment.
It isn't "adrenaline pumping" - it is calculated and cold-blooded murder.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
cops do it all the time and get away with it.

the man was in fear for his life and the criminals got their asses shot off. the elderly man should be let out of jail with no charges at all.

If we justify such unfounded action then all those who call themselves "conservative" or protect "liberty" are charlatans. The founders clearly pointed out that for liberty to survive, we must be a moral and virtuous nation of people. One can not be moral or virtuous by self establishing that one should be put to death after their threat has been removed with such loose determination. A moral and virtuous people, who respect freedom, who respect liberty, understand that we do not disregard life AND liberty without proper reasoning and circumstance. A person who is killed upon committing a crime is just, but if we forsake the human aspect, the virtue and moral purpose of our true nature to promote execution in such a way, then what the hell is the point? It doesn't matter who is in charge, all of them will murder, kill, and abuse EVERYTHING under their guise of "justice".

This thread has shown me one thing, that ALL are guilty and that ALL will deserve the punishment that will eventually come to them by their own hand.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It isn't "adrenaline pumping" - it is calculated and cold-blooded murder.

This.

I can't believe anyone would defend this man (I don't mean to imply that natatt really is - I think she is offering a balanced view trying to see it from both perspectives).

And I say this as someone who is very supportive of gun rights and self-defense rights.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
I think some people on this thread watch too much tv. How much of a threat can you be after you've been shot and fall down the stairs? Maybe he was thinking it'd be like Kill Bill and she'd suddenly stand up after being shot multiple times in the chest and snatch his eye out or something.
And some people think a .223 round had the same stopping power as a .40 hollow point. Guys have taken 5 rounds and still killed and lived to tell about it.

I'm not defending his actions - especially the .22 to an incapacitated girl. But we weren't there. And if the "role models" hadn't busted into his house they wouldn't have a single hole in them.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:

Depending on the time frame involved, it could be. People's bodies react different to adrenaline. The "fight or flight" instinct shows that. Mothers lifting cars single handedly off of children is another example.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And some people think a .223 round had the same stopping power as a .40 hollow point. Guys have taken 5 rounds and still killed and lived to tell about it.

I'm not defending his actions - especially the .22 to an incapacitated girl. But we weren't there. And if the "role models" hadn't busted into his house they wouldn't have a single hole in them.
I don't claim to be a gun expert but I would think that if he was able to drag her from where she originally fell to the the workshop and notice that she was laughing at him she probably wasn't presenting any immediate danger. Unless laughter kills him or something.

You would also think that while dragging her he probably would have noticed if she had a weapon or not. Maybe she was hiding it in her bra or something.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
The best that can come from this is other people reading what happened and then thinking twice and not doing the same. For about a day at the most.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
I don't claim to be a gun expert but I would think that if he was able to drag her from where she originally fell to the the workshop and notice that she was laughing at him she probably wasn't presenting any immediate danger. Unless laughter kills him or something.

You would also think that while dragging her he probably would have noticed if she had a weapon or not. Maybe she was hiding it in her bra or something.
do you believe that she was laughing at him?

i seriously doubt it, if her friend had just been killed and she had already been shot.

that's not a laugh-inducing situation.

versatile, that is a good point and i hope people do think twice before committing dangerous crimes, because they have NO WAY OF KNOWING how it will turn out, for their victim or for them.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
do you believe that she was laughing at him?

i seriously doubt it, if her friend had just been killed and she had already been shot.

that's not a laugh-inducing situation.
Well, according to the old man she was.

And I know there are a number here who want to believe him - about that and about the number of times he says he was broken into.

If she was doing anything, she was probably crying hysterically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies