Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,757,106 times

Advertisements

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: An Open Letter to Libertarians: Don't Be Fooled By Rand Paul

So refreshing to see someone write out what I have said for 6 months, I know most libertarians or libertarian minded republicans like Rand Paul but personally I can't stand the sniveling little s*it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
EconomicPolicyJournal.com: An Open Letter to Libertarians: Don't Be Fooled By Rand Paul

So refreshing to see someone write out what I have said for 6 months, I know most libertarians or libertarian minded republicans like Rand Paul but personally I can't stand the sniveling little s*it
The article didn't say anything. It pointed to an "interview" on the street as proof of something when Rand ignored that interviewer.
Nothing about policy just cheerleader garbage. No substance.

I seem to recall more than 1 Libertarian group endorsing Romney. Sellouts are sellouts, the proof is in the pudding.

btw Rand Paul is a Republican with Libertarian leanings. The Libertarian label is something the media loves to pin on people.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,971,087 times
The article expresses a position as if we don't have huge debt right now and as if we just need to get back to lower revenues to the government so we can have small government, and the national debt will just somehow take care of itself or we don't need to take it into account or whatever. The position seems to be that if government gets more revenue to pay down debt through tax reform, that is a bad thing because government gets more revenue. That's too much like libertarianism with blinders on.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:

the term Libertarian is so completely misused now thanks to simpletons like Michelle Bachmann claiming she is a liberatarian.

These far right wing Republicans are far from Libertarian.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:

Granted Rand is not a purist like his father and maybe that reason is he watched his father as the author pointed out with very little legislative victory. I admire his father for his principle something that is lacking in DC and then there is reality. I think Rand knows this and unlike his father he wants to get some legislation passed. I understand this myself and to get legislation passed you have to have a coalition of like minded people.

Your in Rands shoes when someone ask you about the bilderburgers how would you answer? For one if you went downtown and asked the average political/ economic illiterate 98% would not even have heard of the bilderburgers. So how important is that issue? it would take hours to explain it to a person who most likely has a attention span of 3 minutes. So why should Rand waste his time?

As far as other issues like SS and reforming the tax code even if you are vehemently against both you have to stay with in the present framework. The reality is they will never reform the progressive tax code because that is where both pathetic parties draw their power. Look at the current debate, {R}s defending the Bush/Obama tax cuts and the {D}s wanting to raise taxes on the rich. As far as SS it is already broke and I am preparing never too see a dime. SS will implode on it's own.

I think Rands philosophy is you have to be in the game to score points and with pure libertarian positions you won't even get on the field. As long as Rand does not go ape sh** crazy and become a big spending neo con I can live with that. Sometime you have to take a little which beats nothing at all.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,971,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Sometime you have to take a little which beats nothing at all.
Yes, or don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,553 times
Atleast this author understands that libertarians will never win with their draconian platform they love so much.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Atleast this author understands that libertarians will never win with their draconian platform they love so much.
it would be nice if the author and people like yourself understood what libertarians truly stand for.
Rand Paul, Michelle Bachmann, Sara Palin Rick Santorum and any other RW Tea Party Republican have next to nothing incommon with the Libertarian platform.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
it would be nice if the author and people like yourself understood what libertarians truly stand for.
Rand Paul, Michelle Bachmann, Sara Palin Rick Santorum and any other RW Tea Party Republican have next to nothing incommon with the Libertarian platform.
"If you want to become president, you have one thing in mind, you need to get to 50.1% If you hold libertarian views and run on those views you are not going to be president. I dare anyone to run on completely libertarian principles and believe they are going to win. Go ahead. Tell voters you are in favor of legalizing heroin and LSD. Tell them that the U.S. government should default on its debt and relieve taxpayers of the burden. Tell them you want to end welfare and food stamps. Tell them you want to end the DEA, TSA, FDA, DOE, FAA, SEC, CFTC and the rest of the government alphabet soup agencies."

"Tell them you want to end medicare. Tell them you don't want to fight Muslims, or anyone else, anymore. Go ahead, see how far you are going to get. As I have stated before, there is nothing wrong with running, as long as you stick to principles and lose. It can be a method of spreading libertarian views. Winning, given the current voter climate, is when you become suspect."

please tell me how you can win election on that platform?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,757,106 times
I see nothing wrong with that platform.Especially ending useless departments that are wasting money and fighting wars we don't need to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies