Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM

79 posts, read 80,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The gun issue is not relevant as to whether or not they had a gun (and I think they did have one). What is relevant here is whether or not the man had reasonable FEAR of being harmed. He requested that they turn down their garbage rap. They proceeded to cuss and threaten his physical safety. They began to open the doors to the vehicle was in. 4 thug teenagers. This is enough to make a reasonable person think that they are in grave danger. It sure as hell would make me think so. And under Stand Your Ground, if you reasonably feel you are about to be harmed, you may use deadly force.
You probably didn't even read any of the articles posted above .

Using your logic if you and your friends are in public holding a loud conversation that disturbs me, I can confront you all and tell you to shut up. If say "too bad" and jump up to tell me get out of here then I have every right to shoot you 9 times. Then I can go hide in a hotel until the authorities track me down. Then I can claim self defense and say I stood my ground because I felt threatened.

That is your logic.

Now that's really just ignorance.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The gun issue is not relevant as to whether or not they had a gun (and I think they did have one). What is relevant here is whether or not the man had reasonable FEAR of being harmed. He requested that they turn down their garbage rap. They proceeded to cuss and threaten his physical safety. They began to open the doors to the vehicle was in. 4 thug teenagers. This is enough to make a reasonable person think that they are in grave danger. It sure as hell would make me think so. And under Stand Your Ground, if you reasonably feel you are about to be harmed, you may use deadly force.
Hmmmm.....so if you are standing in line at the movie theatre for popcorn and are larger, younger, physically fit.....and I cut and you yell at me....I guess I feel afraid you are going to harm me.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
I don't know how anyone how can defend what this man did.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subconscious View Post
You probably didn't even read any of the articles posted above .

Using your logic if you and your friends are in public holding a loud conversation that disturbs me, I can confront you all and tell you to shut up. If say "too bad" and jump up to tell me get out of here then I have every right to shoot you 9 times. Then I can go hide in a hotel until the authorities track me down. Then I can claim self defense and say I stood my ground because I felt threatened.

That is your logic.

Now that's really just ignorance.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Actually he didn't just go to the hotel. He went to the hotel, went to sleep, woke up the next morning and saw that someone had died in the shooting and then drove home, so he could be arrested in a place where he was more comfortable. I honestly can't recall a case like that before. Of course, we're all more comfortable at home but leaving the scene of the crime and not reporting it is just crazy ESPECIALLY if it involved gun shots.

In my opinion his lawyer should stop talking to the press.

Quote:
Now, for the first time, we're hearing Dunn's side of the story, from his attorney Robin Lemonidis. She said, "They were blasting some rap music. And he said he rolled down his window, pulled up on the passenger side, and rolled down his window and asked, would you mind turning that down? And said it very politely."

The attorney says the teenager in the front seat turned down the radio. But then she says her client heard the teens cussing at him, making threats. She says Dunn rolled down his window and said, "He said excuse me, are you talking to me?"
So according to the lawyer, he pulled up next to them. Rolled down the window and asked them to turn it down. One of them did. Okay problem solved. Then he hears one of them making threats so he rolls down the window (again I guess) and says "are you talking to me?" I wonder if maybe he thought they were going to back down or something. This is why I feel our self-defense laws need to be more clear. If I someone verbally threatens me and I perceive them to be dangerous, I'm going to try to avoid the situation.

Suspect in gas station shooting claims teens had a shotgun

Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,774 times
He made it worse for himself by leaving the crime scene or at least not calling the cops once he was back at the hotel
People are going to assume he was drinking because it was his son's wedding not saying anything is wrong with that but it will be brought up. They will probably ask the others at the wedding if he'd been drinking at the reception and if so how much he'd been drinking. What the girlfriend was buying in the gas station and if she seemed intoxicated is going to come up. When I first read the story I thought they were pumping gas and I was thinking he fired a gun around gas tanks! But its almost just as bad knowing that he was just sitting in the car waiting for her to come out. If they were bothering him that much he should have just went in the store. This is a lose-lose for every one that is involved.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The intent is implied, and implied very loudly. If Al Sharpton gets involved, this will be Trayvon Martin Part II, and that's exactly what black people would absolutely love to happen. A white man with a gun and a black kid dead. "Trayvon's dead and forgotten, so lets find another pawn." It's clear as day, especially considering this the second attempt to get a thread on this topic moving.
I don't care for al sharp ton but this needs to blow up so black men can see what their up against, maybe they'll find new targets instead of killing each other?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't know how anyone how can defend what this man did.
70% of the population will because if legalized 70% would have killed a black youth on the spot, young black men have no idea how much their actually hated. If they knew they would do half of what they do,

The white guy was just scared, most likely didn't care for black men anyways and overreacted.

If you look at the pic of the kid who got killed, thug isn't what ill call him.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Unless Dunn can prove that these "thugs" disassembled the shotgun and ate the parts he`s surely going to jail. Perhaps this case will put an end to Florida`s "right to shoot an unarmed person" law.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Unless Dunn can prove that these "thugs" disassembled the shotgun and ate the parts he`s surely going to jail. Perhaps this case will put an end to Florida`s "right to shoot an unarmed person" law.

Question, why are these young men being called thugs? Because they were playing rap loud? Hell, I blast Smokey Norville, Marvin Sapp and Kirk Franklin music loud, does that make me a thug? I live in the suburbs, I hear loud rap music coming from a car full of White kids, does that make them a thug as well?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Question, why are these young men being called thugs? Because they were playing rap loud? Hell, I blast Smokey Norville, Marvin Sapp and Kirk Franklin music loud, does that make me a thug? I live in the suburbs, I hear loud rap music coming from a car full of White kids, does that make them a thug as well?
Exactly!
The kids were being kids. Black, white, orange, purple, it doesn't matter. Playing loud music is something most kids do. It is not a reason to shoot and kill anyone.

I wonder what Dunn's BAL was at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies