Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's a good point, except that many small communities have airports. Airports they funded locally. And most states have several regional airports. On the first page, where the OP showed the map of the proposed HSR, did you note the rail didn't even cross SIXTEEN states. People go on and on and on about how the Eastern seaboard would benefit from HSR, how it would help California so much. So let them build it. But don't ask the people in Nebraska that would get ZERO benefit to help fund it.
That is how projects are likely to be handled anyway (except the boat load of airports in Alaska for a tiny number of people)... not any more/less than building highways and airports most Americans would never use or care about. But as a nation, we have to commit to infrastructural improvements, especially those that reduce our cost and liabilities of running the nation.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is how projects are likely to be handled anyway (except the boat load of airports in Alaska for a tiny number of people)... not any more/less than building highways and airports most Americans would never use or care about. But as a nation, we have to commit to infrastructural improvements, especially those that reduce our cost and liabilities of running the nation.
The thing about highways and airports is that people see the benefit from them. HSR may be the future, but it needs to start out regionally, just like state highways and local roads start out, and then, when someone in Wyoming can see the benefit, then the regional systems can become part of a larger network. Right now, the expenses are enormous, and with a significant number of Americans who see no immediate benefit, or even any possibility of benefit in the next 50 years, you will have a hard time getting those people's representatives to vote for HSR.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
I would agree with you, except a HSR actually does not reduce our costs or liabilities of running the nation.

All it does is duplicate our current abilities, more costly and less efficiently than air, frieght and roads. Reginal, being a large job center like Dallas, San francisco, Seattle, etc, not hundreds of miles across multiples states.

Spend the money where it is needed in regional public mass transportation and roadways. Regional, being larger cities like San Francisco, Dallas or Seattle, not connecting different large cities (which air travel is effectively doing).

Last edited by shooting4life; 01-12-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can see HSR between major urban points but you need to include short term car rental sites at the stations so people can get to their location for a meeting. Please do not think a business traveler wants to take a milk stop city bus to make it to their meeting. I also think it will would be a big seller for coast to coast due to time/cost.
Almost every downtown I have been to has car rental places downtown and it wouldn't be hard to locate a HSR station near local rail and transit lines as well as rental car companies.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
How do airplanes work for you?
1.5 hours to Chicago for a couple hundred bucks, yeah doing pretty good if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Good for you. Close mindedness is a poor argument.
Not an argument, pointing out my preferences in transportation.

nothing "close minded" about not wanting to go on a train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Infrastructure creates economies, not the other way around.
This is great but i think you meant to reply to someone else post but replied to mine on accident.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
1.5 hours to Chicago for a couple hundred bucks, yeah doing pretty good if you ask me.

Not an argument, pointing out my preferences in transportation.

nothing "close minded" about not wanting to go on a train.

This is great but i think you meant to reply to someone else post but replied to mine on accident.
Are you going into Chicago from the airport? That is another 30-60 minutes. A couple hundred for 1.5 hour trip sounds like the airlines and doing better than you are.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Are you going into Chicago from the airport? That is another 30-60 minutes. A couple hundred for 1.5 hour trip sounds like the airlines and doing better than you are.
half hour drive ain't nothing...

and yes i assume an airline is doing better than me, thanks for pointing that out.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
half hour drive ain't nothing...

and yes i assume an airline is doing better than me, thanks for pointing that out.
Sure, a half hour drive might not be anything, but that then means the trip is now 2-2.5 hours, not including the commuting on the other side of the trip. The time adds up and airline transportation for these regional trips are not any more or less effective than HSR commutes.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Sounds great, but the liberals would ultimately be against as it may disrupt the elk population, or a spotted salamander somewhere through it's path...
Much like the oil pipeline from Canada that the the current regime rejected...and i quote..

Obama was putting politics ahead of jobs and the nation's energy security by rejecting the pipeline now, Republicans and oil industry leaders said. The president faced fierce pressure from environmentalists who said they would be less likely to campaign for him in November if he didn't block the project to move carbon-heavy oil from the tar sands of northwest Canada.

Another 4 years..Damn
I'm a liberal and I say ignore the tree huggers. When airplanes come down from 35 thousand feet and hit the clouds the plane gets tossed around like a rag doll. If I can take a train, I don't mind one that can go two or three hundred miles per hour. Even at 100 mph a train with a sleeper car can make Miami from the northeast in fifteen hours.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sure, a half hour drive might not be anything, but that then means the trip is now 2-2.5 hours, not including the commuting on the other side of the trip. The time adds up and airline transportation for these regional trips are not any more or less effective than HSR commutes.
But they are already paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies