Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we build the HSR network
Yes 192 60.57%
No 125 39.43%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times

Advertisements

No. Americans are really bad at building infrastructure projects that don't involve highways.
I don't think they even have the technical know-how for anything other than highways.
The US has zero experience with HSR technology.

It would take a hundred years to complete if we're lucky, with massive cost overruns,
endless red tape and delays. Just another way for politicians and contractors to line their pockets.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It would actually be cheaper to fly every california to Japan, ride a real hsr there, then fly them all back, then build the "hsr" in California that relatively few people would use, will be slower and more expensive than air travel. All while the state of California doesn't have enough money to house its prisoners or adaquitly fund its court system.
Obviously it's going to be expensive, but the benefits exponentially outweigh the costs. Also, contrary to the supposed rumors, the CAHSR is by definition Most certainly a true HSR system. Furthermore, can you please back up that California can not back up it's court system, or prisons. Either way, considering that it's California, I imagine that there are many people in jail for non violent drug offenses, who deserved shortened times. There, problem solved.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I would prefer high speed rail. I don't really like the flight to and from Seattle, it always feels like too much of a hassle for such airline short trip.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
No. Americans are really bad at building infrastructure projects that don't involve highways.
I don't think they even have the technical know-how for anything other than highways.
The US has zero experience with HSR technology.

It would take a hundred years to complete if we're lucky, with massive cost overruns,
endless red tape and delays. Just another way for politicians and contractors to line their pockets.
Unfortunately you are probably right, the only way to build a better rail infrastructure here would be to contract the Japanese to do it for us. Heck, I don't even buy from American car companies anymore due to the poor quality of them.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
we should replace fossil fuel burning cars that ride on wheels (how antiquated)
with gravitonic, magnetic driverless cars on virtually all our roads.
we should also have wireless, free electricity.
alas, these technologies are old but still widely suppressed by the establishment
that controls us all.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I would say do it. The Chinese are crushing us on infrastructure.

Whatever happened to the American "can do" attitude that allowed us to build Hoover Dam and almost overnight become the arsenal of democracy?

If we don't stay limbered up, I shudder to think what would happen if another big one comes along.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Unfortunately you are probably right, the only way to build a better rail infrastructure here would be to contract the Japanese to do it for us. Heck, I don't even buy from American car companies anymore due to the poor quality of them.
The NIMBYism and their endless lawsuits alone would be enough to kill it.
All the republicans in congress have vowed to block further federal funding of the
HSR project in California so its highly questionable if we'll ever see HSR in that state,
let alone a nationwide network.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
IF the plan was to run that line from Vancouver, B.C. to San Diego, and Seattle to New York City, and New York City to Miami, and Chicago to New Orleans, Atlanta to San Diego, etc. In other words, actually connect the major cities in the country, AND they could guarantee that it would be paid for by USER FEES, then I might be interested.
They would also have to have a schedule of at least two trains per day on every line, and NO "milk runs" (that is trains that stop at every little podunk station); stop ONLY at major cities, or at least three stops in each state.
I really doubt that there would be enough riders to make it economically viable!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IF the plan was to run that line from Vancouver, B.C. to San Diego, and Seattle to New York City, and New York City to Miami, and Chicago to New Orleans, Atlanta to San Diego, etc. In other words, actually connect the major cities in the country, AND they could guarantee that it would be paid for by USER FEES, then I might be interested.
They would also have to have a schedule of at least two trains per day on every line, and NO "milk runs" (that is trains that stop at every little podunk station); stop ONLY at major cities, or at least three stops in each state.
I really doubt that there would be enough riders to make it economically viable!
The Bay Area and greater LA have nearly 25 million in population, and yet that's not major enough? Furthermore, the DO guarantee that it will be paid by USER FEES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies