Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
This is NOT good. We need to pursue alt energy more aggressively. Environmental studies included along side with the exploration of alt energy.

But that won't please the "Drill Baby Drill" crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, for God's sake.

Clue: Not everything you read on the internet is true, nor is the assumption reliable.
These are farmers reporting unusual deaths of their livestock, not some liberal bureaucrats (hint: farmers probably lean conservative as a group). More studies need to be done to confirm what is going on, but what credible information do you have that leads you to so confidently dismiss any connection?

Anything - other news articles, evidence-suported scientific theories, etc... or are you just spewing your opinion formed from your general super-partisan life perspective (hmmm, let me guess....)?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,365 times
This is total BS. More leftwingloonytunes trying to scare people and cause as much damage to people that actually produce something for a living. Now what did I come here to do?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
I hate to burst the bubble of the "fracking is the end-all" crowd, but growing up in Southern Illinois in what at one time was a very big oil producing and refining area... the water and soil there has been tainted for a hundred years. It wasn't until the mid-80's that the old "BS pits" were even lined. Am I saying fracking is good.. nope.. I honestly believe it can be fine with responsible drillers, but blaming fracking for everything these days is going a little too far off the deep end.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Why aren’t the workers doing the fracking falling ill and dying?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Why aren’t the workers doing the fracking falling ill and dying?
Perhaps because they aren't as exposed as the livestock? They don't come into contact with the soil on a daily basis and they don't drink groundwater as a rule.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if we start to see people associated with this work start to develop something, much like those who were exposed to residual radiation or asbestos and any number of other contaminants. It may take a long time to manifest, as it did in those cases, but, I've no doubt that the risk is there.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Would be easy to get blood samples from cattle and cows.

Call me when an actual scientific study is conducted.

On the Concern O' Meter I rate it a 5 out of 100 currently.
It's being done. Testing of fecal samples (and necropsy reusults) is being done at the Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory. (University of Oklahoma.) Samples of oil spills and gas leaks are being matched at the same time. A protocol is already in place because this has been occurring for some time.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Yeah, there has to be all options on the table.

But we cant also invest in a bunch of solyndras and watch our tax dollars go down the drain.
Just give me the money, we'll say we did and I'll retire to the Bahamas....

Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
I saw somebody on TV drink a glass of the new fracking fluid.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM

97 posts, read 417,818 times
Michelle Bamberger

Yes yes I know you will say well silly boy that article is from someone knee deep in energy.

But to be fair all so consider your article is from people knee deep in environmental studies also.

Cornell and others get alot of money to do this type of research and those that give them the money want bad things to be found. If someone pays you millions to find bad stuff then I am sorry to say bad stuff or not you will find something to keep the money flowing.

As for me I will say I don't think the process of putting fluids miles down into the ground to frack is a bad thing. But I do have a concern about the millions of gallons of fracking fluid that gets spilled onto the top of the ground in the process.

If you notice almost all the cases they talk about in the study are about fracking fluids that were spilled or leaking onto the ground. Were it soaks into the ground, gets to the root system of the grass areas, runs off into ponds after a rain, or overflows the tanks (holes dug into the ground) designed to hold the fluids.

Sadly my conclusion is what has already been said you can't trust any of them. Not the reporters, the doctors, or the energy companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies