Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did you even read the DOMA ruling which said the states can apply their OWN requirements for marriage?
Yes, because states laws were not what was being argued, the federal law was.
The same reasons for declaring DOMA unconstitutional, can be applied to STATE DOMA laws. State laws have to follow the constitution too.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The same reasons for declaring DOMA unconstitutional, can be applied to STATE DOMA laws. State laws have to follow the constitution too.
And nothing stops them from writing laws which could evenutally be deemed unconstitutional. Do you really think out of a nation of 300,000,000+ individuals, someone isnt going to try? I give it a week!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Quote:
You are correct, your side has won.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And nothing stops them from writing laws which could evenutally be deemed unconstitutional. Do you really think out of a nation of 300,000,000+ individuals, someone isnt going to try? I give it a week!!!
With liberal appointees controlling the courts it will do no good.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This means that those people of faith who believe homosexuality is immoral will be forced to support gay marriage financially. They will no longer be free to live as their faith demands.
Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, well, well.

Perhaps all those churches who blew though their parishioner's money to buy ads and banners and posters will get back to feeding the hungry and clothing the naked?
LOL...yeah, really.

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
With liberal appointees controlling the courts it will do no good.
Doesnt matter, the process will take a decade, and delaying it will be viewed as a minor victory.

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
I understand that. I can go get married in another state, and the FEDERAL government must treat my marriage just like any other, even if my home STATE doesn't.
Is that what it says or does it require you to reside in a state that recognizes gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
You don't get to dictate to others what is or is not immoral. There is nothing inherently immoral about homosexuality or gay marriage. Come to think of it, it is more immoral to treat people differently. I can add that clause to my religion and have just as much standing as you; your religion is but one of many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Amusing that we had people on this board who were positive DOMA would be upheld.
Just the conservatives.

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
That's pretty much what I think is going to happen.

1) State passes (or already has) Constitutional amendment banning SSM

2) Injured party challenges that amendment

3) Amendment gets struck down in Federal courts

It'll be a slower process, but should eventually happen in all the states with SSM bans on the books now.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
You know, I'm watching all this unfold on TV and it leaves me with a feeling of revulsion and sadness.
Not because I disapprove of same-sex marriage, but because it's such a big deal down there. Such commotion. Such brouhaha. So much anger.
Why is the US such a bastion of backwards thinking in this day and age? Why do you have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why is the US such a bastion of backwards thinking in this day and age? Why do you have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century?
Because the Civil War never really ended. Look at a map of education, income, poverty, disease. You'll see there are two different countries under one flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies