Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I have a feeling ObserverNY isn't living anywhere near the east coast. Either that or he's blind.
Apparently I've had a sex change operation as well! LOL!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Apparently I've had a sex change operation as well! LOL!
Well, that's your business. I don't care one way or the other.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Alot of the Sandy victims are in for a big surprise when they finally get around to attempting to rebuild their house. They will find that during the permitting process, that if it will cost more than 50% value of the house to repair, it will not be allowed to be repaired. This means tear down. And to replace the old house, the new house [first floor living area] must be built 12 feet above mean high tide.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Alot of the Sandy victims are in for a big surprise when they finally get around to attempting to rebuild their house. They will find that during the permitting process, that if it will cost more than 50% value of the house to repair, it will not be allowed to be repaired. This means tear down. And to replace the old house, the new house [first floor living area] must be built 12 feet above mean high tide.
Well there needs to be drastic changes made to the housing design, especially along the Jersey Shore. I remember when we finally got power back and I was able to see the destruction that has happened, I remember thinking about how poorly designed the homes along the beach were for hurricanes. The New England style houses would never be found in North Carolina cause they would get blown down in a hurricane.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
That was called paraphrasing, you don't see my sentence with any quotation marks in it. But I'm glad you got to practice your Google skills. You keep at that.

This first clip shows Obama stating, "We will not leave until rebuilding is complete"

and this one shows a lady who said Obama promised her "immediate" relief.

You want Obama to build you a new road immediately? Do you have a realistic idea about how long it takes to build a road?

For people who accuse liberals of depending on the government, you sure ask a lot from the government!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Do you have some sort of link or other source for this information?

I have a relative whose house is already under repair in Sea Bright. They did not have any of the issues you mention above.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,130 times
Default Not Bloomberg, not NYT, not NY/NJ, not Obama, then who?

I try to live in the here and now. The Super Storm Sandy caused 0% to 100% damage to thousands of good middle class taxpayers in New York and New Jersey and other States. Lots of homeowners, and tenants too though you never hear about them, need someone to rescue them. Otherwise there will be a lot less good middle class taxpayers in New York and New Jersey and other States.

I live in Georgia. Sandy motored by out to sea so all I know is what I read in the media, see on TV, and learn on this forum. Looks like this "reconstruction" is going to be a long drawn out affair, with the "Prez" staying discretely out of it after a timely whirlwind photo opportunity in bomber jacket that some say turned the election around in his favor. You would think he would return that favor?

I always believed that the "newspaper of record" in the area, the New York Times, was a little snarky. I mean if you were looking to be hooked up with a Point Barrow soap stone carving to make a coffee table statement in your rent controlled apartment, the NYT is the paper to read. But for substantive news, no. I just sat down and looked through the December 2, Sunday edition of the NYT to see what news items it held concerning the devastation to the New York area. On page 38 of the first section I found an article relating to net percentage advertising offers for charitable causes that indirectly mentioned Sandy, and on page 11 of the Business section, an article how the "Hurricane" is depressing the real estate market in Tribeca, spelled funny. Otherwise, not a thing. (although the magazine sections were gone).

Unless these poor disaster victims take control of their own reconstruction, I can see no good happening there.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Do you have some sort of link or other source for this information?

I have a relative whose house is already under repair in Sea Bright. They did not have any of the issues you mention above.
I know here on LI after the '92 Nor'Easter, FEMA implemented requirements that the first floor must be 13' above sea level on a re-build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies