Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'd also like to see Native American History Month done in other than the stereotypical November.
That's actually the official month for NA Heritage: Native American Heritage Month 2012

Not many people know that (you might), and few also know we have official months for other ethnic groups... I only know because I've worked in public libraries for so long, and we're always looking for monthly display ideas.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I already further addressed this post in post #74. It's obvious you did not read the article in entirety, so please refrain from discussing the topic.
I'll discuss whatever I want, thanks - and I read enough of the article to know what I need to know.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
this is a disturbing precedent. By the time the kids get done singing the Black national anthem, and the LGBT national anthem, and the women's movement national anthem, and all the other national anthems for the special interest, politically correct groups, there won't be any time left in the school day to learn how to read.

Personally, I think that this song would be more appropriate when you are talking about the emancipation of black people from slavery (and it's much catchier too!)

The Year Of Jubilo - YouTube

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
I'm not sure why any anthems should be sung by school children on a daily basis, it sounds pretty tedious to me and I'm guessing most of the kids are tuning it out. When I was in school we had the Pledge of Allegiance only which takes about 15 seconds to recite, which is about the right amount of time to take out of the school day for the morning ritual.
Next up will be the Mexican National Anthem which I think I read has already been required singing in a U.S. public school.
These songs are fine in music class but not as a mandatory daily observance where all students are expected to stand as a sign of respect and allegiance.
What's going on here is part of the 50 year old trend of inserting race anywhere and everywhere possible in our public schools. It's a cynical agenda whose primary purpose is not education but the feeding and protection of a parasitic class of "educators", political appointees, administrators, attorneys, consultants and various other clients of the diversity industrial complex.
The rituals such as anthems, revisionist history lessons, separatist holidays etc. are just window dressing to deflect attention from the rampant incompetence among teachers and principals and abysmal success rate of the students in these schools.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
this is a disturbing precedent. By the time the kids get done singing the Black national anthem, and the LGBT national anthem, and the women's movement national anthem, and all the other national anthems for the special interest, politically correct groups, there won't be any time left in the school day to learn how to read.

Personally, I think that this song would be more appropriate when you are talking about the emancipation of black people from slavery (and it's much catchier too!)

The Year Of Jubilo - YouTube

20yrsinBranson
That's very White of you.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is only one US National Anthem, and it happens to be the Star-Spangled Banner. Standing while it is sung is both a sign of respect and national pride.
I didn't plow through this thread. Has anyone mentioned that it's traditional to stand during the "Hallelujah Chorus"? From Handel's "Messiah". Oh, my goodness even Jewish people stand up during that one. Sometimes they even follow tradition and sing along.

Tradition. All folks have it. If some kid wants to plop down during this song, it's his right. But, the Star Spangled Banner isn't the only time Americans rise to their feet for a song.

There's even "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. And it mentions peanuts. And Cracker Jax. So it promotes food allergies and obesity. "I'm not gonna stand. We shouldn't have songs about things that aren't healthy!!"

It's a song. If your child gets somehow brainwashed by listening to it and standing up you have much bigger problems.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-07-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Well then black kids shouldn't stand for the 'white' national anthem. I mean blacks weren't free when the song was made so why should we stand for it????

But seriously, the kid could stand out of respect for the struggle that blacks went through to have equality in this country. People stand for the anthems of other nations so why not the black anthem?? I mean blacks were treated like they weren't citizens for centuries in this country.
If you stand that means you agree with the government and everything they do and have done. You are pledgeing alligence to the government. The government likes that but it doesn't mean it is good for you.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Make of it what you will.

Lift every voice and sing,
till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.

Sing a song full of the faith that the
dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
bitter the chastening rod,
felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
yet with a steady beat,
have not our weary feet
come to the place
for which our fathers died?

We have come over a way that with tears have been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
out from the gloomy past,
till now we stand at last
where the white gleam
of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
thou who hast brought us thus far on the way;
thou who hast by thy might led us into the light,
keep us forever in the path, we pray.

Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee;
lest our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee,
shadowed beneath thy hand,
may we forever stand,
true to our God,
true to our native land.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I didn't plow through this thread. Has anyone mentioned that it's traditional to stand during the "Hallelujah Chorus"? From Handel's "Messiah". Oh, my goodness even Jewish people stand up during that one. Sometimes they even follow tradition and sing along.

Tradition. All folks have it. If some kid wants to plop down during this song, it's his right. But, the Star Spangled Banner isn't the only time Americans rise to their feet for a song.

There's even "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. And it mentions peanuts. And Cracker Jax. So it promotes food allergies and obesity. "I'm not gonna stand. We shouldn't have songs about things that aren't healthy!!"

It's a song. If your child gets somehow brainwashed by listening to it and standing up you have much bigger problems.
It may be your tradition to stand for songs other than the US National Anthem, but it is not mine. As for the Pledge of Allegiance, I stopped reciting that after I joined the military and took another oath that superseded the Pledge.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It may be your tradition to stand for songs other than the US National Anthem, but it is not mine. As for the Pledge of Allegiance, I stopped reciting that after I joined the military and took another oath that superseded the Pledge.
Oh, my goodness... I stand for all sorts of things. "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" (best sung with gusto if my team has a 6 run lead. Or with a Dodger Dog with plenty of mustard). The 9/11 follow up of "God Bless America". (Sometimes there's a little tear with that one.) "Sweet Caroline" if the ballpark plays it. (Uh, oh. I'll bet Neil Diamond's a liberal. My guess is you pass on that one.) Brides walking down the aisle. (Uh, oh. Another tear.) Hymns during church. (Must be a plot by the Christians.) Sweet stars and stripes I even stand up when our flag goes by during a parade.

I'm guessing you disapprove of all the time some of us spend on our feet.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-07-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies