Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And union is the boogeyman in both. Unions didn't hold growth in auto industry back. What did was crappy decisions by the management. Or, are they not the problem but the unions?
Companies need to hire the most qualified people and if they hire someone who does not do their job it makes it hard to get rid of them. I worked with a guy who just didn't show up for work half the time. I was told he was union so they couldn't fire him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am an individual, not a faceless collective member to be treated without individual qualification or merit. I stand alone in my ability and to that which is produced by such. I am a responsible person who markets my skills and product myself, be it through the successes or failures of my effort. I and I alone know what is best, fair and appropriate for my efforts to which I alone will negotiate to my individual benefit. What I choose to accept is between myself and those I negotiate with, not that of any other. I do not need the approval, help, or dictation of others to achieve my goals. They are mine and mine alone to achieve.

I do not care what a CEO makes or what a business chooses to keep as profit. As long as I agree individually to a given compensation, then I accept such and am not concerned about anything else other than meeting the responsibilities of my agreement. If I do not accept such, I make it known by refusing to offer my services to a business. I am in control, I am the one who decides, not the company or a collective that views my best interests as a blanket one size fits all solution.

Yes i get it you are a rugged individualist but remember you are only 1 person and there will be many people after you as well as there have been before you. One person against a multinational corporation HAS NO POWER but many against one corporation will and always will have more power.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Long, long ago and far, far away. Union membership is down to about 12% overall and only 7% in the private sector.
The reasons remain,even thought the Unions do not. I knew of many Companies that raised the salary structure based on keeping the Unions out, even to the point, that in a fair and balanced way votes were taken and the employees rejected the Union as they were doing better than if they WERE represented. This happening must also be credited to the Union existence. Solidarity is a political thing , today it has little to do with pay and working conditions but more for support for the rights of the Middle Class, which, there never would have been had there not been Unions.
PS: I never was a Union Lover, being a small business man. However, for sure, I never was a supporter of big business ether, they were competition of the worst kind with predatory pricing that most of us could not survive. behind the skirts of the Union Bosses were the big Business interest, it was a happy marriage designed to keep us out of the marketplace. Early in my dealings with a major bakery ( the transportation ) in order to get the contract, I was required buy the Bakery to pay union Dues for which I received a union card. Thats all I got for paying my way into a company well connected to the Union. I never received any of the Union workers rewards ether, only the right to do business with the bakery as a private Contractor.This was in Iowa, I am sure many years ago had Michigan been involved the outcome would have been different, hence, my growing dislike for Unions. I saw them as bedfellows of Big Business, still do I guess....

Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives dislike labor unions, because their member give to Democrats, rather than Republicans. That's why conservatives hate teachers so much.
Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Do you even bother to think WHY the democrats support unions?

Here is the real reason democrats support unions. Unions traditionally put the worker first, and the business second. Their belief is that without workers, there would be no business (even though they often fail to see it the other way around!), so it's important to take care of your workers and offer them "fair" compensation so that they provide for the business.

That's fine and dandy, but the problem we have now is that union workers have become overcompensated and are on an unsustainable trajectory as far as pay is concerned. Even entry-level union workers are getting paid roughly the same as college grads, and most of these people don't even have college degrees. THAT'S a problem in my book. These people enjoy having a relatively stable work environment, comfortable pay, and little stress. Again, I'm sure thats great for them and their families, but where does the value come in to play? Many could argue that these people are not worth what they are being compensated...

This is why democrats have traditionally supported unions - they believe in pulling everyone up to the same level, regardless of actual skill or motivational level. There are many parallels between unions and liberal politics, specifically entitlement programs.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Do you even bother to think WHY the democrats support unions?

Here is the real reason democrats support unions. Unions traditionally put the worker first, and the business second. Their belief is that without workers, there would be no business (even though they often fail to see it the other way around!), so it's important to take care of your workers and offer them "fair" compensation so that they provide for the business.

That's fine and dandy, but the problem we have now is that union workers have become overcompensated and are on an unsustainable trajectory as far as pay is concerned. Even entry-level union workers are getting paid roughly the same as college grads, and most of these people don't even have college degrees. THAT'S a problem in my book. These people enjoy having a relatively stable work environment, comfortable pay, and little stress. Again, I'm sure thats great for them and their families, but where does the value come in to play? Many could argue that these people are not worth what they are being compensated...

This is why democrats have traditionally supported unions - they believe in pulling everyone up to the same level, regardless of actual skill or motivational level. There are many parallels between unions and liberal politics, specifically entitlement programs.
And, you are just as ridiculous, predicting on what SHOULD be paid a worker , a College Graduate or a tradesman. The problem today is the Unions and Business have neglected the need of having a skill. There is a shortage of skilled workers in this country, yet so many talk about how bad unemployment is.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Obviously not more than Wall St, but I don't see you arguing against this economic distortion.
Start a thread about it then.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Yes i get it you are a rugged individualist but remember you are only 1 person and there will be many people after you as well as there have been before you. One person against a multinational corporation HAS NO POWER but many against one corporation will and always will have more power.

One person has all the power and choice. I do not care about those before me or after me, for I am not responsible for them. They are responsible for themselves, just as I am responsible for myself. A corporation has no power to dictate to the individual. I have never been forced to work for any place of business, I have always decided if I accepted their terms. If I did not, I moved on and found new employment elsewhere. In some cases, I have created my own employment (worked for myself through contracting my skills and services) as I saw fit for the compensation that I deemed appropriate.

The people have the choice to choose employers who offer acceptable terms. If no such employer exists, they are free to establish their own business to pursue such as they believe to be appropriate.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Why do right-wingers want a system of free riders or moochers, in the workplace, who receive something for free?
Welfare lifers are free riders but you voted for more of it. Why do Democrats and Liberals want a system of free riders or moochers in the united states.

Not liking the free riders now so much are you now?

I'll tell you what, you give up the welfare lifers and make them go to work then come back and cry about free riders and you might have something to complain about.

Last edited by eRayP; 12-12-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And, you are just as ridiculous, predicting on what SHOULD be paid a worker , a College Graduate or a tradesman. The problem today is the Unions and Business have neglected the need of having a skill. There is a shortage of skilled workers in this country, yet so many talk about how bad unemployment is.

I find it even more annoying when sending out resume's for different trades when they ask for a helper/apprentice they want a guy with at least 2-3 years experience yet when you put down you went to a trade school you get told it does not count. The only way to get training anymore that actually counts is to go through the union where you get On the job training as well as schooling. I feel if there were more ways for people to get experience and actually be able to find a job we'd have more skilled workers but as it is now it's nearly impossible.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
One person has all the power and choice. I do not care about those before me or after me, for I am not responsible for them. They are responsible for themselves, just as I am responsible for myself. A corporation has no power to dictate to the individual. I have never been forced to work for any place of business, I have always decided if I accepted their terms. If I did not, I moved on and found new employment elsewhere. In some cases, I have created my own employment (worked for myself through contracting my skills and services) as I saw fit for the compensation that I deemed appropriate.

The people have the choice to choose employers who offer acceptable terms. If no such employer exists, they are free to establish their own business to pursue such as they believe to be appropriate.

You seem to be under the delusion that there are plenty of jobs out there now which is not the case, try telling someone who has a kid and a wife to feed that he can just as easily pick up and leave. You mask your selfishness by acting as an individualist you are not. Imagine the person who came before you who said the same thing he does not care for you nor does he care about the person who came before him. With that short sided way of thinking nothing gets better only will get worse, perhaps if you or the person before you actually cared things wouldn't be the way they are now. But go ahead keep on with the "rugged army of one" joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies