Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

As a black woman, I don't find it racist I do find it odd that this is not the first time she has done this and that other players have done it according to the OP article.

Black female bodies have been ridiculed for decades around the world, even in shape, voluptuous, healthy women like Serena Williams. So it is sad to me that some of you find this sort of thing to be funny, especially adults since I expect more out of adults than children.

I also agree that Serena is one of the best tennis players in the world and this woman has no right to make fun of Serena considering Serena has trampled her in tennis along with the rest of the WTA field.

I am thinking Wozniacki was just doing this to try to hone in on some of Serena's tennis prowess, but considering this is not the first time she did it, I would think she is just childish and immature to continue caricaturing Serena Williams.

I also hope those of you complaining about racism realize that Serena Williams has not addressed this immature caricature of her from Wozniacki or others who have done it. I love both Serena and Venus especially because they seem much more mature and classy than a lot of media/sports figures and they rarely address situations such as these as racist and instead will respond in a mature, logical fashion when asked about these issues.
1. I love the Williams sisters. I cannot say enough postive things about them in so many facets of their careers and how they've handled themselves.

2. I respectfully disagree about black women bodies as curves have had cache for decades. Boob jobs galore and in recent years you have lip injections and butt implants too. Dang, just take one look at Beyonce that's smokin' hot. Maybe I'm a little clueless because I've always liked gals with some meat on em.

3. Look no further than all of the blue chip companies lining up for the Williams sisters as endorsers. Not just shoe companies, but make-up, fashion and so on....I think a lot has changed in terms of beauty appreciation over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
I believe these kiddies miming Serena have got a problem figuring out how she manages to take a body form not generally accepted as being suitable for the sport of Tennis and excelling at the sport.

They are, in fact, showing the incongruity of themselves being less than statuesque and certainly having less body mass to stop on a dime and reverse direction while giving 9 cents change as being less nimble than the Ruebenesque Serena.

She's still managing to out perform them in spite of her size handicap. Must frustrate the hell out of the rest of 'em; hence the mimicry

Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I don't see racism, I see sexism. Seems like a childish way to behave for a professional. I think it should be stopped. It would be one thing to do this at a party or socially, in jest. But, as a professional, on the court It smacks of "Bullying" ...Fine her.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
If Serena Williams is 'MUM' about it then what is the controversy?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
I agree with Manta Ray...Black women's bodies.....Hell yes.

But no...I don't think it's racist what Wozniacki did. She is a young girl for god sakes...she is just goofing off. Novak Djokovic has made fun of Sharapova, Roddick, Serena, and Nadal with no issues. Likewise Nadal has made fun of some athletes as well.

I mean we never hear cries of racism when Dave Chapelle paints his face white and puts on a blonde wig for his newscaster segments...they're hilarious! People these days are so hypersensitive...there's no reason to actively seek to be offended. If I wanted to be pissed at everything I'm sure I could muster up the stength to find offense at every instance but I have better things to do.

I've tried to go with the whole "don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff" mantra...works great for realizing what is really worth getting all worked up about.

FYI: This isn't worth getting worked out about.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I don't know what to feel. One would think, given the history of racism, and caricatures, that a person might have enough sense to watch what they do, and to learn that some things are just tasteless and stupid. On the other hand, how do we know what is truly prejudice and what is just being stupid? I say that this line is blurred BECAUSE of the history of racism and bigotry. Black people for a long time have been subjected to being made fun of in movies like Birth of a Nation, and in other ways, like Sambo, Blackface, etc. It's hard to tell because there are trust issues involved. The level of trust is such that it's hard to tell if someone is just being truly childish or being truly racist. Either someone is making fun of Serena Williams because said person is not thinking straight and doesn't realize what kind of impact it has, or said person really is prejudice and making fun of Serena Williams could be a way for said person's passive-aggressive version of hate. Either way, these are things we really need to look at. Racism never died, prejudice never died. It just evolved into other forms. In the USA, we went from slavery, to legalism, to covert, subtle prejudice.

It bring a very important question: How can you tell if Wozniacki was just being merely childish and tasteless, or covertly expressing hate? And another question is this: How do we know if Serena Williams is keeping quiet because she doesn't see it as racist, or if she is keeping quiet because she doesn't want to be accused of playing the race card? Two very important questions, and yet, they are hard questions to ask because race is such a hot button topic in our society, and with good reason.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

As a black woman, I don't find it racist I do find it odd that this is not the first time she has done this and that other players have done it according to the OP article.
As I said, this incident in isolation isn't racist but there has been a strange pattern amongst Barbies of the tennis world who since the arrival of the Williams sisters on the tennis scene have taken time out to mouth off about their bodies

Quote:
I also hope those of you complaining about racism realize that Serena Williams has not addressed this immature caricature of her from Wozniacki or others who have done it. I love both Serena and Venus especially because they seem much more mature and classy than a lot of media/sports figures and they rarely address situations such as these as racist and instead will respond in a mature, logical fashion when asked about these issues.
Yes but that have responded.... ramming tennis balls upside their heads.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I believe these kiddies miming Serena have got a problem figuring out how she manages to take a body form not generally accepted as being suitable for the sport of Tennis and excelling at the sport.

They are, in fact, showing the incongruity of themselves being less than statuesque and certainly having less body mass to stop on a dime and reverse direction while giving 9 cents change as being less nimble than the Ruebenesque Serena.

She's still managing to out perform them in spite of her size handicap. Must frustrate the hell out of the rest of 'em; hence the mimicry
Those sisters are NOT Ruebenesque. They are heavily muscled and have a great set of tata's.....but they are not Ruebenesque.

Their size is absolutely not a handicap.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Those sisters are NOT Ruebenesque. They are heavily muscled and have a great set of tata's.....but they are not Ruebenesque.

Their size is absolutely not a handicap.
Hell; I'd consider those tatas a handicap everytime I tried a forehand smash having to move them aside as well.

Her and her sister have mastered the art of moving with grace and mixing it up with just plain "barging" when necessary. Gotta hand it to them.

AND yes; they are great tatas and a formidable bootie!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I'm willing to say that it may not be racism. We are ascribing our American way of thinking on this Danish tennis player. I doubt that they have anywhere near the racial problems that the US has. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies