Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Let's ban Hollywood Liberals from cashing in on movies that Glorify gun violence and drugs.

Or would this restrict their 1st amendment rights ?

Hollywood is full of Obama Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Take away the guns, they'll use bomb. Take away the bomb, they'll use a knife. Take away the knife, they'll use a bat. Etc. etc.
Perhaps, but... bombs ARE illegal and relatively rare in the US. Where's the outrage over the bomb ban, nevermind regulation? Guns that rapidly spray bullets are akin to a bomb (a bomb that can be aimed) and are perfectly legal. And sadly, commonplace.

And using a knife? Much, much harder and slower to kill someone with a knife. Not a single child died in the recent knife attack in China.

You are absolutely correct in that there will always be people with mental health issues who attempt to carry out these horrific events. But in the US we make it especially quick and easy.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
L_I_T,

I don't actually disagree with you. This horrible event is one of those things in life we all desperately want to understand but can't no matter how hard we try.

Should this kid have been institutionalized if he had never shown signs of violence in the past? No, of course not. I myself am introverted and "nerdy". Introverted people are generally gentle, but in a few cases something snaps and no one really knows what that is.

My point was we don't have any mechanisms in place to separate people who display signs of violence caused by mental illness from society. The way things work now is that they have to commit a crime before anything can be down. Maybe there is no better option in terms of maintaining our rights, but it bothers me that our society allows mentally ill people to roam amongst the normal people even though police or mental healthcare providers know they are a potential danger.

But yeah, I get the qualms about institutionalizing people. It does smack of a "Minority Report" type of situation.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Guns that rapidly spray bullets are akin to a bomb (a bomb that can be aimed) and are perfectly legal. And sadly, commonplace.
Actually, you are wrong. Automatic weapons are not legal for civilians in the US unless an applicant submits to a very lengthy permitting process.

Last edited by War Beagle; 12-17-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nor should it. I truly believe the only thing that stands between us and a dictatorship is the fact that the citizenry is armed.

What we also need to start addressing is that extremist rhetoric like the person I'm quoting, along with gun fetishes, are ALSO mental illnesses, "abnormal" and dangerous.

Spending day after day of your life fearing a boogie man is a part of problem here.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll never understand why people think that "their freedoms are taken away" by passing laws to make it harder for crazy people to get guns.
We already do the same thing for cars to make sure that we keep everybody safe.
Anybody can get a car, you just need to prove that you are capable of using it responsibly.

You're way off base on that one...there in no law that says you have to prove that you are capable of using it responsibly to buy a car...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What we also need to start addressing is that extremist rhetoric like the person I'm quoting, along with gun fetishes, are ALSO mental illnesses, "abnormal" and dangerous.

Spending day after day of your life fearing a boogie man is a part of problem here.
Interesting because the statement you point to as 'extremist rhetoric' is very much like the following quote from Thomas Jefferson:

The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Thomas Jefferson

Was Thomas Jefferson abnormal and dangerous?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Something seriously doesn't add up. In today's news it's reported that Lanza's mother had warned the kid's babysitter "never to turn your back on him, not even to go to the bathroom." This same mother takes both her sons to the shooting range regularly and keeps all those weapons in the house. I'm starting to think the mother, despite her reported "heart of gold," was a real nut job herself. Maybe so much so that she sent her son off the deep end. Something obviously snapped, and she imo is an accomplice.

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Of course, there are others who fail to realize the primary purpose of the second amendment is not to protect recreational gun use or even defense from criminals.

340 posts, read 803,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Actually, you are wrong. Automatic weapons are not legal for civilians in the US unless an applicant submits to a very lengthy and expensive permitting process.
You have almost that entire statement incorrect.

Full-auto are perfectly legal to purchase as long as they were produced before 1986. All you have to do is submit to additional background check and pay a $200 tax. The wait times due to the BATFE being slow are about 6 months. The only expensive part is the gun itself and that is due to supply and demand, not "permitting" fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies