Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are some things that gun fetishists/nuts need to come to terms with if they have any hope of becoming rational human beings:

The rest of us don't care about your hobby unless it affects us or our loved ones. I frankly think it is boring and shows a lack of mental maturity from the person who has a passion for something designed to kill. It hints at some sort of mental health issue in it's own right, a need for a powerless person to feel power.

We think that it's laughable that some of you think you are the last line of defense against a tyrannical government run by the Kenyan in chief.

We don't want to live in a country where every person you walk by on the street has a holdster. It's 2012 and I don't want to live in the wild west. I want to be able to go to the supermarket and not have to assume that the guy next to me can shoot me, my wife, or my kid because he had a bad day, because I'm not quick draw McGraw with my own weapon.

The never ending spiral of your warped fascination is that we have to have every teacher in every school armed because everybody else has a gun. The number of senseless deaths that would follow as a result of your warped world view would make the Conneticut shootings seem tame.

Unfortunately, we have a constitution that has been interpreted in your favor, and that's just the way it is. Don't think for a second that gun nuts aren't crazy because of that.
Actually, crazy is thinking a government takeover could never happen.

I do want to live where every person has a holster. I love knowing that while an armed citizen won't stop a nutjob from shooting up the place, it might make them hesitate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Another thing I just don't understand - who in this country has a "legitimate reason" to own weapons like these? Are their communities under attack by hordes of gigantic bears with cinematically thick hides?

My BIL wants a semi-automatic rifle. He has never been a victim of any crime, he does not hunt, he lives in a nice, safe neighborhood and has two young children in his house, yet he simply had to get his CHL and for some idiotic reason he wants a semi-automatic. WTH?
Your failure to understand does not invalidate the legitimacy of your BIL's desire to own a gun. His perception of needing a weapon for safety or simply to go to a shooting range is legitimate enough.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Default Ahem.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, crazy is thinking a government takeover could never happen.

I do want to live where every person has a holster. I love knowing that while an armed citizen won't stop a nutjob from shooting up the place, it might make them hesitate.
Or stop them before they get to 10-20 people/kids.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
STOP THE VIOLENCE

The face of the Sandy Hook Elementary School KILLER is the Face of the NRA and the politicians who support that group. The NRA has purchased the votes of senators and congressional representatives so they can support the sale of any type gun and any type ammunition.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
Guys, guys, guys, enough of this China crap. In China when you step out of line they cut your head off in front of your friends and family. Very effective policy but do you really want that over here? This is not about using a bat or a knife. Look, is pot illegal? Last I checked outside of CO and WA it's illegal to grow it, store it, sell it and use it. Yet over 60 million Americans admit to lighting up every year. How is that possible if it's illegal to grow, store, sell and use? I don't get it. We have pot laws no? I guess if people really want to smoke a joint, the law is NOT going to stop them. Now think about this. Pot, according to them not me, is not terribly addictive. Most pot users are pretty laid back and could arguably described as the least motivated among us.

The people who do these shootings are anything but. They are very intelligent, very emotional, very dedicated and have made a decision to end their lives with their action. Nothing is going to stop them. In a way, they are very much like the 9/11 terrorists. These people were committed to flying a 737 at 10k feet into a skyscraper knowing they would die in a blazing inferno. When people are commited to such actions, the law is the last thing that is going to stop them. The way to prevent these things is to ask ourselves, why would a human being give their life to take ours. Same question we have to ask of the school shooters. Until we answer that question, these shootings and terrorist attacks will be fodder for the evening cable news.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
STOP THE VIOLENCE

The face of the Sandy Hook Elementary School KILLER is the Face of the NRA and the politicians who support that group. The NRA has purchased the votes of senators and congressional representatives so they can support the sale of any type gun and any type ammunition.
Not even close to being true. Stop the hysterics.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Nice, except why do you think we've not had any (overtly) tyrannical leaders? Let's stretch this to other countries who are overthrowing their dictators. Do you think they'd have a chance in hades if they weren't now armed? Do you believe that the dictators would even be able to exist if the population was well armed?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Number of dead children = 0
And is that worth the oppressive, corrupt regional officials running a mafia style system throughout the country? Plenty of children die there, especially when the right local officials don't get paid off.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What we also need to start addressing is that extremist rhetoric like the person I'm quoting, along with gun fetishes, are ALSO mental illnesses, "abnormal" and dangerous.

Spending day after day of your life fearing a boogie man is a part of problem here.
You are the one in fear of this boogie man. This mass shooter. You have a better chance of being struck by lighting then attacked in a mass shooting spree. You liberals see every gun owner as some wild eyed camo wearing nut dragging a .50 call around with him looking to shoot everyone who walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies